Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
good job Josh! :thumbsup:

good info

after you finish the HOW TO wiki section.....publish a book on HOW TO 350Z, sell it, make some money

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
good job Josh! :thumbsup:

good info

after you finish the HOW TO wiki section.....publish a book on HOW TO 350Z, sell it, make some money
thought about it.. saw a how-to book on porshes .. it was pretty lamo

·
Registered
481 Posts
Great write up, changing transmission fluid would have intimidated me otherwise.

Thanks.

You might want to change the WARNING text in the WIKI to red. I skipped over it initially, but I remembered a previous thread warning of the GL5 fluid. Then I went back and re-read and found it.

How much did it cost you for the fluid, and how much time did it take?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
took about 30-40 minutes.. that included me stopping and taking pictures and stuff..

7$ per quart, so around 30$

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Nice writeup. One question though.. how many miles is it recommended to do this?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i cant find the recommended mileage. i have 35k and i noticed a difference in ease of shifting..

·
Registered
31 Posts
i have about 44k miles, and the old fluid looked like it had some hazy metallic tint to it. so im very glad i did the fluid change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Great write up, changing transmission fluid would have intimidated me otherwise.

Thanks.

You might want to change the WARNING text in the WIKI to red. I skipped over it initially, but I remembered a previous thread warning of the GL5 fluid. Then I went back and re-read and found it.

How much did it cost you for the fluid, and how much time did it take?
I went on the Royal Purple website, the Max Gear 75w90, says it is both a GL-4 and GL-5 rated, thus I plan to use it both in the tranny and the diff. Based on the rating they list, I am assuming it is safe for the "yellow metals" in the tranny, is that correct?

·
Registered
643 Posts
The only comment I have it that you should at least loosen the fill plug before you drain the transmission. Sometimes it is difficult to remove the fill plug and if you drain your fluid before loosening that plug, you could be in for a real problem.

Just my .02.

Les

·
Registered
371 Posts
i know this question has been answered before in another thread but i couldnt find it or remember the thread but what kind of crush gasket are those for the fill and drain plugs? and can you only get them at nissan dealers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I went on the Royal Purple website, the Max Gear 75w90, says it is both a GL-4 and GL-5 rated, thus I plan to use it both in the tranny and the diff. Based on the rating they list, I am assuming it is safe for the "yellow metals" in the tranny, is that correct?
I wanted to find out the same thing. Emailed the RP tech and Chris from Tech said,

"That warning is valid for traditional GL-5 service class fluids due to some extreme pressure additives; however, our Max Gear formulations are completely non-corrosive to soft yellow metals (brass, bronze, copper). Our proprietary formulation still offers extreme pressure load carrying capability, so we list it as suitable for GL-4 and GL-5 service class. There will be no damage to the synchronizers due to Max Gear oil."

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
What does the manual say? I haven't the slightest idea about auto transmissions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts