Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Nice Josh. This is actually the first fiberglassing tutorial I ever read. I was gonna try to dig up a link and post it, but I guess I don't need to now. Haha

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems like all of the reading on this I've done most end up with 6-10 layers to get a strong enough box. About how thick is this? I need to get a very good estimate to do an under the trunk floor box and get the mounting depth just right.
thanks

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thickness will depend on how strong of a sub you are using.. a 12" JL W7 will need to be [THICK, whereas a regula 10" setup will not need to be so thick.

Typically people make them about 3/8" thick. What defines the strenght of the box is not necessarily the thickness, but the tightness of the fiberglass layers. It would be very easy to dump a ton of resin on the box and make it an inche thick, but the strength of fiberglass comes from the weave.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll use a Boston 10" pushed by just 120-150 Watts or so. I understand what you are saying about the variables involved. I will plan on worst case being at least 3/8". I just didn't know if it would end up being almost as thick as a sheet of MDF or if it would only come out 1/4" thick or something based on hearing some people use 6-10 layers. To me that didn't sound like it would end up that thick.
thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I am glad this How To is here. I am working on a rear corner box much like the one described by the author but mine goes all the way to the trunk floor. I did the masking tape and aluminum foil deal but also used foam core board to create the lower half.
Tonight I laid the first layer to make the shell fiberglass and pulled it from the car after it was dry. After pulling off the carpet corner, tape and foam core, it looks paper thin but seems like a good start.
Tomorrow I am picking up the MDF, fabric and dowels to make the ring and front with but have a long way to go before I need that stuff.

As for material supply, I bought the resin at West Marine as suggested but got the glass at TAP plastics because it was cheaper and had a better selection. I also got some BaltekMat ( see http://www.tapplastics.com/shop/product.php?pid=93& ) it should work well to cover the flatter sections for reenforcement. The demo piece they had was quite light but very stiff once set up.

I'll post my progress and pics in a few days.

Chris

·
Registered
36 Posts
1/4" of fiberglass = 3/4" of MDF. for a big heavy duty built woofer such as the JL W7 or the Kicker Solo-X, i would go with around 1/2" - 5/8" of fiberglass thickness.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts