Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm plannin to install 2 x GT30R turbos to my Z soon. I guess they will give full boost (20psi) around 4500 - 4700 rpm w/ my motor (9,0 CR). So i need to lift up the redline to have a nice power band.

I don't have any info bout the head design of VQ35DE and what other restrictions i have to make it spin more so i need all the info u have guys.

Thanks

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tecnosquare ECU Re-flash. Among other things, this re-flash brings the redline up to 7300 RPM if I'm not mistaken. I do not have this upgrade so my info on it is limited. A Google search, I'm sure, can lead you to where you can get all the info your heart desires on Tecnosquare.

You might send a PM to DaKing on this forum. He seems to have a very good knowledge of our cars and engines. Not to mention one of the baddest Z's here.

Good luck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the info dude but i already have a HYDRA ECU so no problems of increasing the redline electronically. I need to make it safe.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, that was my big idea. Like I said, ask DaKing. He might have some info or be able to direct you to some/where that does. Good luck

·
Registered
785 Posts
It is only my opinion, but pumping 20 lbs and raising the redline seems to be somewhat a recipe for disaster. As I am sure you are aware boosting at moderate levels does not create very much additional stress on a motor, but boosting 20lbs while increasing the rev's by 700 per minute will create tremendous additional forces on the rods,pistons, valves, etc... By pumping 20 psi of boost you will have significantly raised your bmep, this increase coupled with your raised rpm would require very clean and fast breathing thru your valves and a stout valve train, therefore I would think the first place to look would be some custom machined ti valves with a nice 5 angle cut and the right spring setup. Also look seriously at your connecting rods. Are your bearings high enough quality, are your wrist pins extremely durable? Are the rods themselves forged with substantial H or I sections with high quality bolts. Finally I assume your running a stock crank shaft. I have not examined the vdq crank shaft, but I would assume it is like most cars in that it is good for maybe 65% over stock power. Beyond those levels I would think you would need a High end aftermarket forged shaft with good micro polishing and solid bearings.

Hope this helps, I would be more inclined to raise boost than raise revs. Dollar for dollar there is less damage to be done by raising boost.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i'm plannin to microbalance the stock crank (I'm not sure but i guess it's already forged).Other than that these are already on my list:

Ferrea Ti- Valves
Pauter Billet Rods (I'm also lookin for ti-rods and pistons)
Wiseco Forged Pistons
Darton MID-Iron sleeves

What else would u suggest?

I'm plannin a port polish job to increase head flow.

thanks for all the info guys.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, it is certainly good to see the Ferrara Ti valves on your list.

If you are crazy enough to do this (I will get to that in a second), here are some other things I would consider MANDATORY:

Titanium spring retainers (Ferrara)
High-left springs
All new bearings, probably with a ceramic coating.
New Nismo competition oil pump (customer order through Z1auto.com)

As for being crazy to do this, let me explain. If you have a really, really good reason (i.e. real pro competition), then go ahead. I am sure you have the support and skills to pull it off. However, I would not do this for the **** of it. As others mentioned, boost plus high RPM is a recipe for disaster. Frankly, you could rev up so fast that the rev limiter to catch it late, and let you over rev.

The stock engine, as TechnoSquare seems to have proven, can take 7200 RPM. Nismo has shown that using all of their engine parts could take you to 8500rpm or so. None of this is with boost though.

Frankly, if I were spending as much as you are planning, I would do the AEBS 4.3 liter stroker kit with the turbos. You would not need to run such high boost to get the same power.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i'll try this guys. If those guys can do this with their civics, i'll find a way to do it either. For sure this will cost much more than modding a civic tough. My buddy has a civic spinning 9200 with 30 psi of boost on it.. Another has a vette spinning 8000 w/ 22 psi etc. My rex was spinning 9000 w/ almost 28 psi.. So why wouldn't our Zettos do it either. I'll learn shortly...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by mistaboosta@Aug 29 2005, 11:29 PM
BWT i havent heard good things about the AEBS sleeves..
[snapback]150448[/snapback]​

What exactly have you heard about the AEBS stroker kit? I'm planning on sending my engine to them in the future. Albeit, in the distant future as I don't have $7500 to plunk down for my engine alone. I haven't heard anything, aside from the info posted on AEBS website, about this stroder kit and the components they are using. By the time I have the money to do this hopefully there will be other companies to choose from as well.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I haven't heard much of anything about AEBS probably because it's so **** expensive to do on a daily driver.

As for the experiment, keep us posted on your results. Sounds like one helluva project for a mean street machine.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by Daking350Z@Aug 29 2005, 04:29 AM
No more FREE avice from me... :banghead:
[snapback]150162[/snapback]​

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I've always thought that an inherant part of car forums is for people to share information about their vehicles. Free of charge.

After reading and participating in the poll posted by you pertaining to the amounts of T&A on our forum, I'd venture a guess that you're a bit salty about the lack of traffic to MRC generated by this forum.

I'm not stroking your ****, but as I've read many a posts of yours covering a wide variety of topics, I think you have a lot of knowledge and definately experience that will/can help many of us in modding our cars.

It would be a shame if you completely swore off helping others on the forums. But obviously you're going to do whatever you feel appropriate.

If I ever need some advice and feel that you're the best person to ask, I'll be sure to buy something from MRC first as to not ask for free advice. :cheers:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i dont know the quality of the stroker kit but some vendor i've contacted advised me not to go with their sleeves. So i decided to go with the proven Datron MID sleeves.

What's the rod/stroke ratio of Z btw ?

·
Registered
310 Posts
Well, it sounds like you are set on doing this. However, keep in mind that a Civic can spin 9000 more easily because it is an inline 4.

·
Registered
562 Posts
If you want to go that high, then take a look at what Z350Lover (go to the aussie section) has done to his engine. Then you would need to take it step further. Why spin to 7500rpm when you are not making any power there.

You would need new VTC pulleys, nismo stage 2 cam shaft, nismo bearings, and all the other things mentioned above. I don't think that stock ECU would be able to handle the mods I've jsut mentioned, so you would have to get Motec ECU, you can get a premade harness from australia.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally posted by Nuff@Sep 1 2005, 01:56 AM
If you want to go that high, then take a look at what Z350Lover (go to the aussie section) has done to his engine. Then you would need to take it step further. Why spin to 7500rpm when you are not making any power there.

You would need new VTC pulleys, nismo stage 2 cam shaft, nismo bearings, and all the other things mentioned above. I don't think that stock ECU would be able to handle the mods I've jsut mentioned, so you would have to get Motec ECU, you can get a premade harness from australia.
[snapback]151178[/snapback]​

2 x GT30R, Monster port polish and nice cams will give the warranty of power till 8000.

I'll be using the Hydra EMS, motec is a bit of overkill. thanks for the info btw

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally posted by mistaboosta@Aug 29 2005, 02:10 AM
i'm plannin to microbalance the stock crank (I'm not sure but i guess it's already forged).Other than that these are already on my list:

Ferrea Ti- Valves
Pauter Billet Rods (I'm also lookin for ti-rods and pistons)
Wiseco Forged Pistons
Darton MID-Iron sleeves

What else would u suggest?

I'm plannin a port polish job to increase head flow.

thanks for all the info guys.
[snapback]150230[/snapback]​

I had properly sized OEM bearings ceramic coated also.
Note the Pauter rods are off course bullet proof , but are heavy muthas.
In order to balance the dynamic assembly, weight needs to be added to the crank counter weights. I decided to switch to Crower-I beams. (Carillos are a good choice as well). They are more than strong enough for sub 1khp crank, weigh much less, and cost much much less than titaniums.

IMO you should consider boosting to ~20psi in the mid band and then taper down psi approaching 7500. I only would rasie the rev limiter to 7500 to avoid bouncing off it during hard launches.. Normally you should be no were near that high since power tapers quickly on the boosted VQ above 6800.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts