Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Have you got the metal hole plug Buddy? I can get you a Lowes part number if you need it. Just make sure to remove that counterweight while you're in there...and secure the wiring harness so it dosen't rattle around.

Found it...HILLMAN 7/8 Metal Hole Plug / Lowes part#139406 /Hillman #881268

Use Adhesive Flex to seal the plug. There are other options but this worked well for me.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I already purchased the plug. Question, since the link still isn't up. Is there a bolt in the top that I have to take out, or is it just the bolts on the bottom?

And waht is Adhesive Flex? What department of what store can I find it in?

Thanks Kenny

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I plan on doing this within the next 3 weeks. If anyone recently did theirs and has any new pointers, please post your suggestions! I have the touch up paint, now to go buy all the extra stuff at HD.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
Did you do any sanding? Can I find the sealant at HD along with the plug?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I decided to do the removal this weekend. First things first, shop around for a plug. I went to Ace Hardware and HD and ended up using a plastic plug I found at Ace. It's 1" wide with a 1/4" deep base that basically snaps it into the hole.

The actual wiper, once you pop off the plastic end cover at the base, unscrews in a counter clockwise direction. Don't force or pull it off, just unwind it. Be careful not to scratch your paint.

Then you need to pop off the plastic trunk hatch cover from inside your car. I found this the most difficult part, mainly because I didn't know if I was breaking anything. From here, you can easily see the wiper motor and the counterweight bolted onto the hatch. I removed both and weighed them; came out to just under 3 lbs total.

I'll post pics later of what I'm doing. Well, here's a start: The plug.

Edit: Okay, scratch the white plug. I tried to dremel it down to fit and be flush, but it wasn't having any of that. So back to ACE I went, and found a better cap plug that was 7/8" and shallower. I used some silicone and plopped it right in. Then I added more silicone underneath.

BTW, the weight is located right in the middle just forward of the hatch latch.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Whew! All done. I used touch up paint, which wasn't the greatest, but I will clean it up later. I justed wanted to get that cap in today. Overall, it'll take some getting used to. But I like the fact that I don't have to worry about the **** wiper not lifting enough for me to wash the hatch.

·
Registered
12 Posts
It would be cool to see it with the trunk down so we can see how well it matches.

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Trunk down:

screen.width*0.7) {this.resized=true; this.width=screen.width*0.7; this.alt='Click here to open new window';}" onmouseover="if(this.resized) this.style.cursor='hand';" onclick="if(this.resized) {window.open('http://www.350z-tech.com/forums/uploads/garage_mod-18-1079318139.jpg');}" />

1 - 20 of 27 Posts