Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is an abbreviated step-by-step installation tutorial for adding the euro-spec/jdm rear fog light. This light replaces the drivers side reverse light. Only one reverse light is required by NY State law. Check local listings before attempting this mod.

First, you will need the following tools to complete this job:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Start by removing the drivers side tail lamp assembly. Three 10mm screws hold it in place, and three snaps are below the screws. Unscrew the tail light and pull upwards.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Remove tail lamp to expose wires. Leave the parking lights installed and drop them into the hole where you will be working. They will provide light for you if you are in a dark garage like me. It was rainy outside all day, so the parking lights came in handy.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You'll notice there isn't much room to work in there. Also, the wires are pretty short. So, remove the drivers side reverse socket and add wire taps to lengthen the wires by about 6". After this is completed, cut the socket from the car. The result will be longer wires for the reverse light should you need to return it back to stock at some point.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your socket should also be fitted with these plug adapters. Sodder everything, and tape up with electrical tape to ensure safety.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Now, tap into the larger of the two parking lights for electrical current. This way, the fog lamp will operate when the parking lights/headlights are in the ON mode. When you shut them, the fog lamp will shut as well. Run the positive line from the tap directly to the socket. Attach the negative to both terminals of your switch, to be relocated inside the cabin. Then, run both negative wires back to the tail lamp assembly and connect. (This is a basic Inline Circuit. Look it up if you need to.)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Very nice writeup :clap: Maybe this could be added to the tutorials? It's a good thing to see that you don't need to remove the rear bumper cover.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
:wtf:

Sorry, but "what horse do?"

A rear foglight? :werd: (to me...)

We have fog out here, but never drive around backwards in it... :rolf2:

Please to 'enlighten' me... :cheers:

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
I believe the purpose of a rear fog light is to protect your a$$ in extreme fog so as to decrease your chance of being rear ended by someone who is not as good of a driver as they think.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I believe the purpose of a rear fog light is to protect your a$$ in extreme fog so as to decrease your chance of being rear ended by someone who is not as good of a driver as they think.

He pretty much nailed it there. Its a regulation elsewhere in the world for this reason. Its a good idea to have for many road conditions, including fog, dust storms, mist, rain, extremely dark roads.. etc.

And no, you don't have to remove the bumper, but your wrists will look like **** from squeezing them in there.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Ah so......

I learned something today.

I think a rear-pointing cellphone jammer might help in that respect as well...

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Where did you buy your euro spec rear fog light/ turn signal assy. I have to buy mine from strosek in Germany!

haha. No you don't. All you have to do is contact Andy (Bat's Overlays) and get a small red vinyl sticker to put over the fog light housing. Then, proceed as follows in the write-up.

I think his email is still [email protected]

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
All I do is turn on my hazard lights when it's raining really hard or that foggy.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts