Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any input on the amount of work to replace the stock system with a discarded Bose?

Installation of the unit, front and rear speakers seems pretty straight forward. Mounting the tweeters and the sub also seem like they shouldn't pose a problem.

However, what about:

1. Wiring for the tweeters
2. Wiring the sub
3. Mounting, wiring, etc. the aplifier

Any help out there?

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
This would probably be more time,work and $$$ than it would ever be worth. I wouldnt do it personally. Bose in my opinion is a very overrated piece of crap, thats why when I bought my car I picked one without Bose.

But if you are dead set on doing this find a wrecked car and either get the harness out of it or cut the ends off of them and make new harness's to run with.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmm...

I know I have read alot of posts complaining about the Bose. However, at the moment, I don't have alot to spend on the project and desparately need to get rid of the stock system. The Bose should be a marked improvement over the stock system and they are pretty easy to get a hold of.

Do you really think it will be that hard to pull wires for the tweeters and the sub? Is the amp more involved that it looks?

Just seems that it shouldn't be that much $$$. I have plenty of time!

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hmm...

I know I have read alot of posts complaining about the Bose. However, at the moment, I don't have alot to spend on the project and desparately need to get rid of the stock system. The Bose should be a marked improvement over the stock system and they are pretty easy to get a hold of.

Do you really think it will be that hard to pull wires for the tweeters and the sub? Is the amp more involved that it looks?

Just seems that it shouldn't be that much $$. I have plenty of time!
It would probably be cheaper and better to get an aftermarket unit then try and install the Bose system. I have an 06 GT so it has the Bose stereo and while it is a decent system for stock, it is by no means even close to what you can do with aftermarket. If I had a car with the stock system I wanted to upgrade no way would i look at trying to put in the Bose system. Way too complicated and costly for what you get.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
Hmm...

Just seems that it shouldn't be that much $$$. I have plenty of time!
Why do you desperately need to get rid of the stock system? Does it work? I dont think the bose is really a marked improvement over the stock setup. You can do the following and it will sound better than the Bose.

Alpine headunit $200
4 Channel Amp $250
Front Speakers $150
Sub and Box $200

You dont need to change the rear speakers so run them off the rear of the head unit and run the front speakers off of the front 2 channels of the amp. Bridge the rears of the amp together and run the sub off of that and it will sound way better then the bose ever will. Bear in mind this is what my system looks like, you could actually build it for even less depending on the parts you choose.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lol, well...

It's twice the price to get a cheap deck at Best Buy than it costs to get the entire Bose sytem including speakers, tweeters, sub, and amp. If I'm making a mistake with this project, then y'all will get to learn from my failure!

If nothing else, I will get the satisfaction of the great sound the system makes as it bounces off the pavement when tossed from a tall building. It's gotta be better than the sound I'm getting from my stock setup.

If I get it to work, then I'll be happy to share the cost and time involved with anyone else thinking this might be an option. I'll also gladly rate the result. Otherwise, I'll eat crow, ask for advice on a better system, and start saving!

In the meantime, any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Why do you desperately need to get rid of the stock system? Does it work? I dont think the bose is really a marked improvement over the stock setup. You can do the following and it will sound better than the Bose.

Alpine headunit $200
4 Channel Amp $250
Front Speakers $150
Sub and Box $200

You dont need to change the rear speakers so run them off the rear of the amp and run the front speakers off of the front 2 channels. Bridge the rears together and run the sub off of that and it will sounds way better then the bose ever will. Bear in mind this is what my system looks like, you could actually build it for even less depending on the parts you choose.
That sounds like pretty good advice. I might be checking back with you if I can't get this setup to work. You are right in that your suggestion isn't as expensive as I thought. However, I can still get the entire Bose for under $300. Probably worth a try for now, but I might be exploring other options later.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I would go as far as to say skip the rear speaker alltogether. They just screw up the soundstage because they are so poorly located. In general rear speakers do not add much if anything to a car stereo except for those silly cars with rear seats.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Just replacing the stock HU in itself is a huge improvement even if you keep the stock speakers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That sounds like pretty good advice. I might be checking back with you if I can't get this setup to work. You are right in that your suggestion isn't as expensive as I thought. However, I can still get the entire Bose for under $300. Probably worth a try for now, but I might be exploring other options later.

Thanks for the info!
jsp,

If you're still there, what is the latest in your quest to replace your base system with Bose? It's interesting that I am thinking about doing the EXACT same thing. I have a 2006 Enthusiast, and everybody that I ask says the same thing : "You'd be better off going aftermarket since the wiring harnesses are not the same." I wanted to replace the HU for the added benefits and keep the same interior look with the potential to upgrade the speakers later. Any thoughts out there???

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
jsp,

If you're still there, what is the latest in your quest to replace your base system with Bose? It's interesting that I am thinking about doing the EXACT same thing. I have a 2006 Enthusiast, and everybody that I ask says the same thing : "You'd be better off going aftermarket since the wiring harnesses are not the same." I wanted to replace the HU for the added benefits and keep the same interior look with the potential to upgrade the speakers later. Any thoughts out there???
Sorry, I did complete this installation, but hadn't gotten around to updating this post. I wasn't sure if anyone else was interested in this topic.

I can certainly weigh in on the positives and negatives of this upgrade. On the positive side, obviously, it's a perfect fit. The hole or post is available for every nut and bolt of every piece in the Bose system. You will even find the mounting bracket in place behind the driver's seat for the subwoofer. One of the things I was really interested in was hooking up my iPod direct to the HU which can be accomplished with an additional adapter. No more of that aweful FM converter sound quality. In comparison to the stock system, it sounds great. Much more full bodied sound compared to the more tinny sound of the stock system. (I know that sounds a little airy fairy, but oh well.)

The only real negative is the top end capability of the Bose system. This is not a system that will blow your socks off or get looks from pedestrians because your windows are about to pop out of the car with bass. However, at normal to loud settings, it is much better than stock. You should probably go to a dealer somewhere and crank up a Bose to make sure it's what you're looking for.

As far as just replacing your HU with the Bose, don't. The Bose doesn't have an internal amplifier and will not have the power to drive your stock speaker setup. If you are going to go with the Bose, buy a complete system from someone who replaced their Bose with an aftermarket. Make sure you get all five speakers (4 plus woofer). Don't worry about the tweeters because they are the same as the stock. Most importantly, you will need to make sure you get both amplifiers with the system. There is one for the speakers and a separate amp for the sub. If you don't go the full system route, then you will be better off going with an entire aftermarket system.

You should also go with replacement of the stock rear speakers with the Bose speakers. I know you will hear some comment that the rear speakers are worthless, but remember that this system was designed by professionals in the audio field who have determined that the placement of the speakers is optimum for this car. The speakers may not contribute to the overal volume of the system, but that doesn't mean that they are not contributing a desirable frequency to the tone of the overall output. Just because they are not super loud doen't mean they are not serving a purpose. Those who just want loud are the same ones who think they can hook up a bunch of speakers to their TV, put them around the room and that they now have surround sound. (If you don't think that's funny, then you should probably just dump some beer down the rear speakers.)

Wow, super long post here, but if you are actally interested in installing the Bose, let me know and I can get you everything you need from wire routing, to wire diagrams and even a few pointers about where to get the amp power lead through the firewall.

For those still scoffing the Bose, don't get me wrong. You can definitely build an aftermarket system much, much better than the Bose. However, I was able to get this entire system off eBay and installed for under $300. Pretty hard to get that kind of improvement in an aftermarket for that kind of money.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sounds like you made a good move and are happy with your decision. I sure someone will be contacting you someday on the procedures involved so thanks for the info. Do you have any pics of the process?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I recently attempted to do the swap and did the swap only to find out that everything work just fine except for the steering wheel controls (they did not). When you look at the back of the OEM radio you'll notice a copper slot for hookup. That's what controls the streering wheel controls. I'm trying to figure out a way to interface that copper hookup to the other hookups with no success. Maybe someone can help with this. Is there a special wiring harness that can make this happen? jsp, what harnesses are you referring to? :banghead:

And where did you get the system? Ebay? private seller or company?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I recently attempted to do the swap and did the swap only to find out that everything work just fine except for the steering wheel controls (they did not). When you look at the back of the OEM radio you'll notice a copper slot for hookup. That's what controls the streering wheel controls. I'm trying to figure out a way to interface that copper hookup to the other hookups with no success. Maybe someone can help with this. Is there a special wiring harness that can make this happen? jsp, what harnesses are you referring to? :banghead:

My '04 doesn't have steering controls. However, there were a few terminals on the back of the HU that weren't defined in the factory wiring diagram. I will see if I can find the manual for a Touring that should have the info.

Regarding purchasing the system, I picked up a complete setup off eBay for $286.

For the harness, I didn't have the connectors for a couple of the junctions, but I went to my local audio shop to see what they had available. They gave me a couple dozen pin connectors for free. I had already labeled the wires coming from the HU to the trunk for the amp and just had to solder on an end, used a little shrink wrap so they wouldn't touch, and poked them on the corresponding pin of the amp. Worked like a charm. I also picked up a package of small female blade connectors for two bucks that I used for the power and ground that were blades and not pins.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Tiger - I did find some additional info that you might find helpful. If you use the link above to download the manual for the '06, you will find the audio visual chapter in file av.pdf. This document outlines all the wiring diagrams for the Base and Bose systems. If you take a look at page AV-12, you will see that wire colors R/G, OR, and Y/G go to pins 21, 22, and 23 respectively on connector M46 for the Base.

However, for the Bose as seen on page AV-15, these same colors go to pins 22, 23, and 25 on connector M39.

Hopefully, this will get you on your way with the steering controls. Let me know how it works out.

Oh, one other thing... the pinouts between the '04 and '06 did appear to be different. You might need to pay attention to the model year of the HU you are putting in to avoid additional work of mapping the wires.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tiger - I did find some additional info that you might find helpful. If you use the link above to download the manual for the '06, you will find the audio visual chapter in file av.pdf. This document outlines all the wiring diagrams for the Base and Bose systems. If you take a look at page AV-12, you will see that wire colors R/G, OR, and Y/G go to pins 21, 22, and 23 respectively on connector M46 for the Base.

However, for the Bose as seen on page AV-15, these same colors go to pins 22, 23, and 25 on connector M39.

Hopefully, this will get you on your way with the steering controls. Let me know how it works out.

Oh, one other thing... the pinouts between the '04 and '06 did appear to be different. You might need to pay attention to the model year of the HU you are putting in to avoid additional work of mapping the wires.

Going out on a limb here. I've come across a BOSE system in proper working order and wanted to try to put it in my Enthusiast. I know it's crazy. Any chance you're still around after all these years JSP? And if so would you be able to answer some questions on just how much of a pain in the butt it would be?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts