Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
This weekend I installed Hotchkis Sport Sway bars on my 04' 350z and I think I'm running into a problem of the front bar "sliding" in the bushings. (I'm not sure if this is normal, but I thought I'd ask...)

After installing it, torqueing down the bolts to 40ft lbs, taking the car for a drive, then rechecking the bolts for proper torque. I noticed that the front bar slid in the bushings and is off center. Is this normal? Is the front bar just seating itself and suppose to rest about an inch off-center toward the drivers side?

I sent Hotchkis Tech-line and email asking if its normal for the front bar to slide in the bushings. Being its a weekend I'm waiting till monday for a reply. In the meantime I took the front bar off until I find out.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
[/quote]

Moving from side to side has no ill effect unless it is binding or making contact. Install and go for a drive!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks!
I thought it would be okay since it doesn't bind or touch anything from the side-to-side movement, but I wasn't sure. I just thought I'd ask anyways since the stock sway bars have stop-clamps to keep the bar from sliding and these Hotchkis ones don't have the clamps. I imagine if the bars needed those clamps Hotchkis would've put them on the bars.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
After talking with Hotchkis, they know of the "issue" of the bars sliding in the brackets and are working on a fix. They said to check back with them in two weeks...

Thanks for the link to that "other"s site regarding the Hotchkis Sport Bars sliding in the brackets. I still haven't re-installed the Hotchkis front bar yet (with or without the McMaster.com two piece clamp-on collars). I was looking for a local company to pickup the collars from - in Seattle a called McGuire Bearing that has the same collars for half the price. There hours are 7am-5pm M-F so I havent had time to pick them up before they close.

I'll probably wait until I see Hotchkis's "fix" for the issue. To see if they send me free collars, or if they try to charge me for them.

When I find out, I'll post the info here.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
This site just totally kicks a$$ because of info like that ^. :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
This is the discussion topic for the wiki article: <A HREF=http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Sway_Bar_Installation>Sway Bar Installation</A>

<iframe width="100%" height="400" src="http://www.350z-tech.com/w/index.php?title=Sway_Bar_Installation&action=render"></iframe>

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
which bar are you using? I'm thinking about trying out a rear cusco.
I am using the Hotchkis. My only biff is that they dont have the stops on them like some of the other bars.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I've had the stillen on for about a month now. I really like them, they are just like the hotchkis but come with the collars on them. I know hotchkis was talking about putting the collars on their bars.

·
Registered
655 Posts
This looks like something I can do myself...my only concern is the "tighten down to 40lbs" when placing the bolts back on. Do you need a torque wrench or whatever for that or will some nice strong cranks on a the wrench you used to remove the bolts work?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
This looks like something I can do myself...my only concern is the "tighten down to 40lbs" when placing the bolts back on. Do you need a torque wrench or whatever for that or will some nice strong cranks on a the wrench you used to remove the bolts work?
Torque specs are provided so you know how tight the bolts should be per the Nissan Service Manual. You don't have to follow these exactly, but if you dont you should at least have enough experience to know how tight certain bolts should be.

Undertightened bolts can work loose and become extremely dangerous, while overtightening bolts might strip parts or make things difficult to remove in the future.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts