Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was wondering if there is a different way to break the 300whp barrier without going FI...
is there a possible way?
if so
please type up a list of what is needed to be upgraded, so i can benefit from this info as well as others on this forum.

Thanx in advance

Ayman

:cheers:

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Do every NA mod available:
Pullies
Intake
Plenum
Cams
Headers
Hi Flo Cats
Y-pipe/mid pipe or cat back
ECU Reflash or piggy back (Unichip/emanage....)

About 4k plus or minus in parts depending on the manufacturers you choose.

And lastly keep trying different dynos until you get the number :)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good morning westpak, how you doing?

i have a question, from what i have been told the piggyback doesnt give you any hp gains....only a stand alone chip can.
can you clarify this?

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
djkern, this is not a list that you wrote :)
haha! that wasn't a list.

here's my list.

1. try search button
2. check for old posts
3. if already posted...read
4. if unavailable...create new thread

:lmfao:

just kidding man! i know it's easier to just post a new thread and get a quick response.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Good morning westpak, how you doing?

i have a question, from what i have been told the piggyback doesnt give you any hp gains....only a stand alone chip can.
can you clarify this?
Hey Ayman doing very well thanks.

I forgot one more thing to the list and that is to advance your timing which you need the dealer to do.

A piggy back will allow you to fine tune your fuel delivery depending on where you are at in AF ratio and if more tuning done also timing instead of the dealer advance, I have seen the emanage fine tune almost 10 hp. The bad news is that I have seen a coupe of such modded Z and the most they got was close to 280 RWHP on a dynojet.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Ayman,

If you are serious about this, I'd begin your quest for the holy grail of 300whp NA by doing a few things.

1. Buy a tunable piggyback like the UTEC or E-Manage.

2. Make friends with your local dyno shop. Buy block time. You'll need it.

3. Mod, then tune. Then mod, then tune.. etc until you get to where you wanna be.

The key here will be tuning. My modding alone, it will become very difficult to hit the 300 mark. Thats my best advice.

The money it will cost will be comparable to goin FI, less, but not by much.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
thanx jet
i guess it will be costy then , maybe thats why most people go FI
Bascially, I learned just becuase there wasn't FI at the time but I did all of the NA mods except for the headers and cams or the piggyback as my AF was pretty good after the mods were done and the most I got was 265 I don't think I would have reached the 300 mark.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
will the stand alone chip.....do the job? instead of the piggyback? or not really
i heard of gains 20hp-30hp on them

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
The piggy back is basically an AFC controller. getting you're chip flashed doesnt seem like the way to go.
I had an AFC controller on my car and they can control the Air Fuel ration by 100 and sometimes 50 rpm increments.

they will dyno you're car take A/F readings, and set the A/F ratio accordingly.

when i had my head milled on my honda with skunk cams and cam gears the car coulnd run right. i had it dyno tuned and they adjustet the cam gears, the fuel pressure regulator, distributor timing.

but they had to back of the fuel pressure because my bottom end was suffering. since i had and afc they programmed it and dyno tuned it a fw times and everything was ok.

so what i am saying is that lets say you decide to get cams for you're z and you already have an afc controller that was programmed perfectly the last time you were there. the first thing they will do is dyno it and check the air/fuel ratio it might be running a little lean or need some serious adjustments.
thanks to you're afc controller a few dyno runs and programming tweaks will get you all you can out of you're car.
In fact these guys (whoever they are) are or should be keeping a record of everything they have done including dyno results and tunung on the afc, most likely you will just be a tweak away. easy and painless.

plus if you decide to sell you're z because one day a newer model comes out. you could put everything back to stock and remove the afc controller and you now have a stock computer.

believe me it's cheaper this way. cheaper than getting it flashed, ulness you don't care about that or the guy doing you're dyno can flash on the fly like gforce engineering.

really something to think about.

I might get one. do the plenum spacer thing and see if i get more hp from the plenum.

maybe the reason the nismo cams suck is because they use the stock computer, or that that is just all the power they can cram out of this car while keeping everything under the 6500rpm limit.

http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0405scc_nismo/

this is a link to the r-tune 350z. it had intake, headers, cams, and exhaust. only made 10hp more at the wheels over stock.
4 of those hp were from the exhaust system alone .
Maybe they would get really good results with the plenum spacer and an afc controller, but nobody has done this yet with these mods.

they are the only ones selling cams for the z right now.

just imagine if someone else designed a better cam that made way more hp. that would make nismo feel stupid and nobody would ever buy there cams. then they would try to out do eachother.

we need some competition around here so that the coustomer will benifit.

GUDE, HKS, JG, SKUNK2. ARE YOU GUYS LISTENING??????

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
The piggy back is basically an AFC controller. getting you're chip flashed doesnt seem like the way to go.

A piggy back is sometimes more than just a simple fuel controller..

There is nothing shabby about an ECU reflash. You can compensate quite well withing the tuning parameters for addional fuel and timing control.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/roadtests/0405scc_nismo/

this is a link to the r-tune 350z. it had intake, headers, cams, and exhaust. only made 10hp more at the wheels over stock.

I know you are just helping out, but that is a complete joke.

I gained 30whp (20whp at peak) along with **** near the same torque from the following:

intake, plenum spacer
headers, hfc, y pipe, ARC ti. exhaust
ecu flash

10whp over stock with headers cams and exhaust is a joke. If they would have done a reflash or tuned with a piggy back or stand alone, they would have had better results.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
just imagine if someone else designed a better cam that made way more hp. that would make nismo feel stupid and nobody would ever buy there cams. then they would try to out do eachother.

we need some competition around here so that the coustomer will benifit.

Nismo MUST stick to OEM compliency. I have been lucky enough to have a Nismo tech in my class and he was very kind in explaining why the parts are expensive and what they set out to achieve when offering them to us.

So, there is a reason why they "suck " :)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts