Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hope this is the right forum for this--

I want to lift the front of my 350Z in order to remove both wheels for detailing and chassis cleaning. Where is the SAFE place to put my floor jack? Is there a structural member up front stout enough? Can the rear be jacked up by the differential?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I heard that the differental is a safe place to place a jack or stands upon. I heard...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks!

That schematic is PERFECT. It will go into my tech file for the Zee.

BTW: where can a person get those neat safety stand supports shown in the drawing?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'll be jacking up the Z today (hopefully). I'll take good pics and maybe a step by step to illustrate the process. I'll also look for those adapters (maybe they're in the back with the spare tire).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
As promised...here's the rear lift point using the hydrolic lift.

First I drove the Z up on to ramps, because I knew that the front would be too low if I had the rear up first. Basically, it's the rear diff where the two yellow, plastic thingamabobs are located. Yeah, I know...it's late so cut me some slack. I'm tired as a mofo.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Now for the placement of the jack stands. Let me say that I had to use the OEM lift first to get the rear of the Z up so I could fit the hydrolic lift under the muffler. Based on the above diagram, the jack stands sit just on the inside of where you would use the OEM lift.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Don't mind the mess. I want no smart ass comments about the dirt. :punch: Trust me, those will be gone this spring.

Here's the front jack stands. The lift was easy to slide under once I got the rear high enough.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I forgot to take a pic of the front spot, but it almost looks like flat dumbbells, which is where I placed the lift point.

And here's some pics of the tires. They're rock hard from the cold. The 225 is on the left, the 245 is on the right.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Uh Oh.. what if you have been jacking it one side at a time like i have.. I have noticed once when i just jacked up one side .. the side that was up in the air when back on the ground sat higher then the other side.. hope i didn't F--- anything up?? or will it settle back down when i drive it and hit a few Potholes

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys. New member (and 350z owner at that) here.

I have seen several different forums and it seems like there are several different places people place their jack stands. The most common are:
1. Directly on the pinch welds where the OEM jack would be used, but maybe cushioned with some folded towels
2. On the frame rails that are more inward than the rocker panels for the front; control arms for rear
3. Right along the pinch welds, but not actually on the grooves; just along them with the jack stand head runing front to rear, as oppose to side to side - This thread has a picture of a jackstand placed like this

So is there a right answer here, or are all three valid? For my limited set up, option #3 would work best for me, but since there is nothing actually centered inside the shallow cup on my jack stands (just sitting on top edges of it), this option worries me a bit.

Suggestions?

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Option 3 is the best, if I read it correctly. I usually use the rear diff to lift up on. First I drive the Z up on ramps, lift the front up, place the jack stands, then do the same for the rear. I have 2 lifts, so it makes it easier.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts