Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have found a great way to dry your Z about 85% without touching it at all....Sheeting is your friend.

What you need to do is to remove the nozzle from the hose after washing and rinsing have been done. Low pressure, high volume water, direct the water flow towards the roof of your car (this can be used on any vehicle) You will see it start to sheet off. Move the hose down to "feed" the sheet as it flows down the car - this will keep the sheet wide and it will carry away more water that way. (i.e., feed the wet part, not the dry part.) Do this for all sides, it may take a few passes to get the hang of feeding the sheet. You will see that the water literally sheets off the vehicle, leaving only a few beads. (If you are using the sprayer to final rinse your vehicle you will notice water beading over the entire vehicle) Use your usual drying towel (mf, terry or absorber type) and just blot these spots away. This will greatly decrease the number of passes you make with your towel and decrease the chances of marring the paint.

Give it a try, it really works.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Thanks for the tip Jinx. Another great thing I have used in the aid of drying mine is a California water blade. It has cut down my drying time in half.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
<span style="color:darkblue">Yeah, I attempted to do this about a month ago only to discover that the spray attachment thingy was on too tight to get off with my hands being wet after washing
</span>

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Great tip, jinx! I will try that in the next few days and post my results here. I'm still buying a leaf blower! Those annoying lug nut holes and side view mirrors are sooo frustrating. That and my silver maple trees on my property...

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Interesting idea, I'll try it next time I wash my car. Have any of you guys used taht new Mr. Clean stuff that you supposedly don't have to dry at all? I'm curious, but hesitant to use it on the Z.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Originally posted by jinxxycat@Jun 4 2004, 08:42 AM
DiRN, towels brother, they will take care of those wet hands!  LOL

Haha. Smart @ss. I know towels will dry my hands. Believe me, I dried them. I think the thingy has been on there for a while. We moved here 4 years ago. So I'm guessing it's been on the hose about that long without ever coming off.

·
Registered
470 Posts
thanx , for the tip saved me a lot of time, just a question whats the best towel to use so not to scratch the paint?

·
Registered
406 Posts
Jinxxy is offering some excellent advice here. :clap:

Her "Sheeting and Blotting" technique certainly IS the answer. Often many owners have actually (inadvertently) hastened the tiny swirl mark process by not employing this or similar method. I'd soon rather drive my car with a little road film on it before I would ever rush the car bath operation. Always take the time to work as clean as you can and seek to minimize any of the unnecessary hand rubbing actions on your paint surface.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the props there Frank!!! It works and it's the only way I will dry my cars.

Napoleon, get some good microfiber towels, try http://www.pakshak.com If you go and join http://www.autopia.org and then go to order from pakshak, type autopia in the discount code field, you will get a great discount. I use the ultra microfiber towels 16x16 I believe that is the size. While you are there at autopia do some searching, you will get some great tips. For more great tips and also detailing products http://www.properautocare.com and http://www.autogeek.com are also great sites to visit. Good luck and happy detailing!!!

·
Registered
470 Posts
thanx jinxxycat , i will try ordering them as soon as i can :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts