Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got underway with building a new rifle, and for anyone who cares about guns I thought I would share...
I decided to I wanted to build up a target style .22 rifle for a couple of reasons:
First, I already have some bigger guns, so I don't feel the need to compensate anymore. Second, the indoor gun range 5 minutes from my house won't let you shoot rifles unless they are handgun caliber anymore, so I wanted a rifle I could practice with there. Third, they're CHEAP to shoot all day. Fourth, it's just fun and cool to build your own stuff!

So first, I went out and bought a Ruger 10/22 for $170 ... it's like the civic of .22s, cheap and infinitely modifiable.

...pretty basic looking....

Next, started tearing sh!t apart... classic willy...

Then, out with the old, in with the new! Match grade stainless barrel, new stock, and Nikon scope. Match trigger is still on the way...

Thanks for looking, hope you enjoy it!!!
-willy- :50cal:

·
4,328 Posts
Cool. Not being a gun guy, I never knew that building a gun was so easy.

1. Unbox gun
2. Take gun apart
3. ...
4. Take pictures of fully reassembled gun.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
-Ronin Z

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Cool. Not being a gun guy, I never knew that building a gun was so easy.

1. Unbox gun
2. Take gun apart
3. ...
4. Take pictures of fully reassembled gun.

Thanks! :thumbsup:
-Ronin Z
hehe :lol:
...honestly though, that really is it. There's 1, yes 1 single screw to detach the stock from the receiver and barrel, and the barrel you, literally, just smash into the receiver with a mallet... So, that would be number 3 in your list!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
That's why I like shotguns. Easy to take apart and clean.

I also think you're giving me ideas on how to modify my .22 LR. Thanks for posting and giving me a project.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
I think it's about time for me to get a handgun, 9mm. Any suggestions? Good "value", reliable...

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Get a Glock 19. You won't regret it. Great gun for anything.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think it's about time for me to get a handgun, 9mm. Any suggestions? Good "value", reliable...
If you search best 9mm's of all time, without fail you will see:
1. Browning Hi Power 9mm
2. Glock 17/19
3. CZ 75b

Of those, the Glock has the worst trigger, but it is one of the most beautiful combat pistols of all time... You can throw it in the mud, swim across a river, bury it in the sand, run over it with a truck and it will still fire. ...Glock brought about a paradigm shift when it comes to combat hand guns...

The Browning is probably the most accurate out of the box, and it's just a classic. It's also the most expensive.

The CZ is the most under-rated of all time... about $500 and a whole lot of 9mm for the $$

...with these 3, there is no wrong answer.

Shot the rifle today, it is already grouping about 1/3 inch 10 round groups at 25 yards (that's the max at the indoor range I was at). ...the only reasons they're not all going through the same hole (and a lot of them do!!) are my shortcomings as a shooter and I really didn't have a rest to shoot off of.
...spent a grand total of $11.23 to shoot for 2 hours today... this thing rocks!!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:lol: You're having too much fun. :shoot:

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice! Thanks! I was thinking about a Glock 19.
...very good gun... there's a huge dealer in town that sells them for less than $500 every day prices... Whole lot of gun for the $$

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I've probably been to that shop/range in JAX. I think $500 for a Glock is a great price.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Sweet build! What Ruger is that, Mini 14? They have a lot of kits for this gun. Makes me want to build one too.

Is this your first gun? Have you thought of a revolver? They're safer because they don't leave bullets chambered in the barrel like a Glock style pistol. What I mean by "chambered" is when you rake (pull back on the slide) the gun and pull out the clip, there will still be one bullet in the gun ready to fire, even tho there's no clip in the gun. Be very careful with this. I always rake the guns like 5x after I take out the clip, so i know the gun is empty. I go the extra mile to check my barrel and chamber as well.. Yes, revolvers are uglier, they have a heavy trigger pull and carry less rounds. Your probably going to get the Glock anyways:).. My advise is always check the gun to see if it's chambered EVERY TIME you pick it up or put it down. No joke.. My next advice is to visualize how you like to leave the gun. Some people like the gun chambered at all times, even if they're not planning on using it(I do not recommend for beginners) and others rarely leave it chambered. Remember how you like to leave the gun so there's no confusion. If you have kids never leave it chambered and buy a lock. Sorry for preaching IDRM350. You probably know what your doing. Just thought this should be mention for any new gun owner. Be safe..

Glocks a great gun. After a couple thousand rounds change the recoil spring because the edge brakes off. It's not hard to change out and it's $15.. Check out H&K, Colt, Springfield, Kimber, and Browning. These are great guns also.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sweet build! What Ruger is that, Mini 14? They have a lot of kits for this gun. Makes me want to build one too.
It's a 10/22 that now has a 20" barrel... thing weighs a ton : )

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
...bought a suppressor today, should be SICK! Unfortunately, it has to live in the gun store for a couple months until all the paperwork goes through...

·
4,328 Posts
...bought a suppressor today, should be SICK! Unfortunately, it has to live in the gun store for a couple months until all the paperwork goes through...
That is cool. Now you'll be all assassin like.

Many years ago I was shooting with a friend of mine who's with the SEALS and I got to hear a suppressed weapon up close and personal. Didn't sound like what I expected. And as you know, it sounds nothing like that stupid "tweep" sound they use in the movies. His 9mm pistol was very impressive, sounded like a BB gun. I think the sound of the slide raking was louder than the actual shot. The .308 was a different story. With the gas system turned off, it quited the shot down a great deal... but it was still freaking loud.

I admit, shooting is fun. I like plinking at the range with the 92F when I was in the Navy. Just wasn't fun enough for me to buy one.

-RZ

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is cool. Now you'll be all assassin like.

Many years ago I was shooting with a friend of mine who's with the SEALS and I got to hear a suppressed weapon up close and personal. Didn't sound like what I expected. And as you know, it sounds nothing like that stupid "tweep" sound they use in the movies. His 9mm pistol was very impressive, sounded like a BB gun. I think the sound of the slide raking was louder than the actual shot. The .308 was a different story. With the gas system turned off, it quited the shot down a great deal... but it was still freaking loud.

I admit, shooting is fun. I like plinking at the range with the 92F when I was in the Navy. Just wasn't fun enough for me to buy one.

-RZ
Yaaa I stuck with the .22 for now because it's the only caliber you can really get "quiet" ...ie, quieter than a BB gun. 9mm is probably the next best, but because of the physics of it...bigger hole and all..., it is obviously always going to be louder.

I'm looking into Navy, Army, Air Force right now for my healthcare career, actually... I probably should start a thread to get some opinions on that.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:jawdrop: I bet the application was fun to fill out.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:jawdrop: I bet the application was fun to fill out.
It is quite a production. I had to pay $80 to have a lawyer compose a Trust for me (the suppressor has to have 1 legal person to go to when I die, etc...), had to have that notarized, THEN had to fill out the paperwork. THEN, to get any class 3 weapon, you have to get a $200 stamp for it approved by the ATF. ...so right now, my trust, paperwork, and money are waiting at the ATF for a stamp so I can bring it home. ...real PITA.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Imagine importing a shipment that requires all the ATF permits and licenses to match the invoices.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 28 Posts