Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I just purchased this G35 from someone who recently got it from an auction. It’s started smoking after an “oil change”, but the oil is black. There are several oil leaks including on the spark plug and coil for cylinder 4. It’s smoking pretty bad from the exhaust. Didn’t pay much for it. Trying to diagnose the issues before purchasing a new engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
There's very little you can diagnose from just pulling apart the intake plenum. From the oil staining, I'd guess there's some blowby of the valves or rings (perhaps both). It would be helpful to know:

-Year and mileage of the G35?
-Any service history of the car?
-Results of a leakdown test?
-Any compression test?
-Any ECM codes in memory?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's very little you can diagnose from just pulling apart the intake plenum. From the oil staining, I'd guess there's some blowby of the valves or rings (perhaps both). It would be helpful to know:

-Year and mileage of the G35?
-Any service history of the car?
-Results of a leakdown test?
-Any compression test?
-Any ECM codes in memory?
2007 with 155,264 miles. No service history. Purchased from dealer who got from auction the week prior. I haven’t performed a leak down test or compression test yet. I plan on doing it tomorrow. No codes. Sending off the oil for testing.

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
To get a starting point, take the VIN to a local Infiniti dealer and request the service history on this car.

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
Pretty significant compression losses on the left bank. The right side isn't perfect either. That VQ needs a full rebuild and that's why a peek at the previous service history might provide a clue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pretty significant compression losses on the left bank. The right side isn't perfect either. That VQ needs a full rebuild and that's why a peek at the previous service history might provide a clue.
Thank you dkmura!

I’m going to buy a new engine. Gives me something to do.

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
From that pic of the engine bay- I'd say you have PLENTY to do. Don't know what you paid for it, but that looks like a wreck to me.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
From that pic of the engine bay- I'd say you have PLENTY to do. Don't know what you paid for it, but that looks like a wreck to me.
It was whole. I took it apart after the compression test. I only paid $500. Interior is better than others I’ve seen online for sale.

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
It was whole. I took it apart after the compression test. I only paid $500. Interior is better than others I’ve seen online for sale.

Hey, if you got a clean title with that G35 for $500 that could be a good deal. Still a lot of work. I also wonder what kind of maintenance your VQ got to cause that kind of damage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey, if you got a clean title with that G35 for $500 that could be a good deal. Still a lot of work. I also wonder what kind of maintenance your VQ got to cause that kind of damage.
I will check with the dealer next week as you recommend.

·
Super Moderator
1,373 Posts
Call before you go to the dealer. If the car was running, they might just look at your registration. But since it's not, and the only thing you likely have is a bill of sale, they may or may not be willing to share the G35's service history.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts