Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first post on the board, just bought an 03 chrome silver enthusiast 6-speed.

i'm looking to maintain reliability with the car, so i'm really looking to keep it for the most part to simple bolt-ons. I used to own a 3000gt SL (NA) and trying to mod it was, although fun to work on it, not really worth the money. I found the car wasn't extremely responsive to standard bolt ons.

Much of what i've read states that nissan for the most part tuned every last hp out of this engine. So i'm curious if it's really worth my while to spend the cash?

As many others i'm sure, once you've had a car you toy with, you get the mod bug quickly. I'm not looking for something that's rediculously fast and that will run 30lbs of boost, just something that'll give me a bit of a kick in the pants when it goes wide open.

Here's what i'm looking at so far, nothing special, but wondering what kind of gains, if any, power wise i'd be looking at.


- Grounding Kit
- Unorthodox crank pulley
- JWT pop charger
- JWT clutch
- JWT flywheel
- Borla true dual (y-pipe elim.)
- test pipes

2 main reason i'm going with the clutch, 1. i hate how soft the clutch in the car is. It's almost like i can't feel it when i push it in. I'm used to heavy clutches and this one honestly makes me feel uncomfortable. 2. While i'm dropping the tranny to put in the flywheel, may as well do the clutch too.

Curious on your opinions on each part, if there is a better quality for the price match product that I will see more gains from.

Thanks.
Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,332 Posts
first, try adjusting the clutch height.. it helps alot

second. the z doesnt really respond extremely well to NA mods, but a plenum and test pipes would be a great start

Otherwise strap on a supercharger and you will have plenty of power for not too much invested.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Jun 27 2005, 08:02 PM
first, try adjusting the clutch height.. it helps alot

second. the z doesnt really respond extremely well to NA mods, but a plenum and test pipes would be a great start

Otherwise strap on a supercharger and you will have plenty of power for not too much invested.
[snapback]122827[/snapback]​

Yeah, suprisingly i've seen that help people who didn't like the clutch feel alot.

I agree. Plenum, headers, test pipes, and exhaust are good mods.

I also agree, i'd suggest Stillen. Safe, inexpensive, and CARB legal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,304 Posts
Hey! Welcome!

Yes, for the most part it's tuned well from the factory. Bolt ons will help give it some umph, sound better, and maybe give you a quicker response. I think working on the tranny is a good way to improve its responsiveness. Pulleys, test pipes, a new plenum, and exhaust are also easy.

I like my car for now because I think it's pretty quick and definitely gives me a kick in the pants. However, I'm always looking for more torque, so it will never end. :faint:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
of all the mods i did, (never did the plenum) intake and test pipes were the biggest help. exhaust made the car sound better but overall do think it did as my=uch as the test pipes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
when you guys are refering to the plenum are you talking about AAM's plenum spacer?

I like the stillen s/c, but i don't like the fact that i need a new hood, ruins the look of the engine, etc. I'm in grad school until June '06, so anything serious for the car will have to wait until after that.

Just looking for the biggest bang for the buck bolt ons first off.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,008 Posts
Originally posted by matt sherman@Jun 27 2005, 10:28 PM
when you guys are refering to the plenum are you talking about AAM's plenum spacer?

I like the stillen s/c, but i don't like the fact that i need a new hood, ruins the look of the engine, etc.  I'm in grad school until June '06, so anything serious for the car will have to wait until after that.

Just looking for the biggest bang for the buck bolt ons first off.

Matt
[snapback]122908[/snapback]​

Crawford cast upper intake plenum.
Jim Wolf Technology cams or Tomei 268 cams.
Full exhaust (true dual cat-back (Borla), test pipes (I recommend Helix), and headers (Crawford)).
KJR Performance crank pulley.
JUN flywheel.
350EVO 3.9 final drive gear set.
And if you visit the track...
Motordyne Engineering hood spacer
Mickey Thompson slicks
Moroso battery relocation box and cables + Odyssey PC680MJT battery
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,332 Posts
Originally posted by matt sherman@Jun 27 2005, 08:28 PM
when you guys are refering to the plenum are you talking about AAM's plenum spacer?

I like the stillen s/c, but i don't like the fact that i need a new hood, ruins the look of the engine, etc.  I'm in grad school until June '06, so anything serious for the car will have to wait until after that.

Just looking for the biggest bang for the buck bolt ons first off.

Matt
[snapback]122908[/snapback]​


There are several plenums available on the market right now as well as plenum spacers:
Plenum Link

Go with the vortech SC. No need for a hood, and so far it has been very reliable. I cant think of any significant problems i have seen with it yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
like I've said, I really don't want to go forced induction until i'm out of school and have more time/money to play with. Right now i'm looking for simple bolt-on mods that would give me a little benefit.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the car handles pretty well as it is. I'd like to get it moving quicker first. I'm geting new wheels/tires, so that should help with the ahndling having 275's in the rear, and the 245's in the front. Sway bars are fairly cheap, so i'm not too worried about those.

Mostly interested in making it a little quicker by either adding power/reducing weight.

Matt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
35,304 Posts
Originally posted by matt sherman@Jun 28 2005, 04:13 PM
the car handles pretty well as it is.  I'd like to get it moving quicker first.  I'm geting new wheels/tires, so that should help with the ahndling having 275's in the rear, and the 245's in the front.  Sway bars are fairly cheap, so i'm not too worried about those.

Mostly interested in making it a little quicker by either adding power/reducing weight.

Matt
[snapback]123490[/snapback]​

Light weight wheels will help in reducing your wt issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,332 Posts
weight is a killer on the z. In the back of my project closet is a weight reduction guide.. someday i will get to it :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Originally posted by TOYKILLA@Jun 28 2005, 02:37 PM
weight is a killer on the z. In the back of my project closet is a weight reduction guide.. someday i will get to it :)
[snapback]123510[/snapback]​



remember...I'm coming from a 3000gt. not known for their slim weight :p

the z will be a nice refresher.

Matt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
Originally posted by matt sherman@Jun 27 2005, 05:44 PM
This is my first post on the board, just bought an 03 chrome silver enthusiast 6-speed.

i'm looking to maintain reliability with the car, so i'm really looking to keep it for the most part to simple bolt-ons. I used to own a 3000gt SL (NA) and trying to mod it was, although fun to work on it, not really worth the money. I found the car wasn't extremely responsive to standard bolt ons.

Much of what i've read states that nissan for the most part tuned every last hp out of this engine. So i'm curious if it's really worth my while to spend the cash?

As many others i'm sure, once you've had a car you toy with, you get the mod bug quickly. I'm not looking for something that's rediculously fast and that will run 30lbs of boost, just something that'll give me a bit of a kick in the pants when it goes wide open.

Here's what i'm looking at so far, nothing special, but wondering what kind of gains, if any, power wise i'd be looking at.


- Grounding Kit
- Unorthodox crank pulley
- JWT pop charger
- JWT clutch
- JWT flywheel
- Borla true dual (y-pipe elim.)
- test pipes

2 main reason i'm going with the clutch, 1. i hate how soft the clutch in the car is. It's almost like i can't feel it when i push it in. I'm used to heavy clutches and this one honestly makes me feel uncomfortable. 2. While i'm dropping the tranny to put in the flywheel, may as well do the clutch too.

Curious on your opinions on each part, if there is a better quality for the price match product that I will see more gains from.

Thanks.
Matt
[snapback]122822[/snapback]​



i went the whole 9 yards with N/A and let me prepare you for the let down in terms of gains. They SUCK.

Forget the grounding kit. Only difference it will make is it will get in the way when you install your FI setup!

Forget the intake - it does very little - merely a little more noise at WOT, NO FELT performance gains.

Pulley is noticable- this is about the best performance bolt on

The clutch and flywheel will make you feel faster and are worthwhile

Borla exhaust is OK - but has a million and thirty-two pieces.

Test pipes are OK as well, some have issues with rasp.

Now for my REAL opinion. ONLY install parts that can be used in conjunction with FI (that's forced induction - preferably turbo(s))

I had all the bolt on's short of a clutch/flywheel and the 3.9 gearing and the gains are disapointing. For the same amount of $ as loading up on N/A parts, you can get a ST or even a TT kit.

THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SUBSTITUTE FOR FI! The Z is an entirely new beast with FI. The car is a blast and has better feel than you could even imagine. If you plan on staying N/A you are missing out. It is as simple as that. If you only plan on N/A, you might as well spend you money on your girl, because you will get a better return for it than modding the Z N/A.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
i say do all of the bolt ons and top it off with a 75 shot of nitrous. this will make for a reliable and quick car.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well alot of the NA upgades I can do can still be used with FI. Exhaust, test pipes, pulley, plenum/spacer.... So as long as I keep it along the lines of mods that can be shared NA and FI, then i should be fine while keeping the door open for further modifcation if/when i decide to.

matt
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top