Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

How Much Is Enough?

4K views 32 replies 8 participants last post by  Sosa 
#1 ·
OK, Is it just Me or is the mod section in the garage becoming a Competition, Like a Car show? I know I have a competitive nature, But this is getting Expensive. I hope I will not get to Max's level (40k+) But then again he is on his 2nd engine. Now Daking on the other hand Is a great Guy, But he won 2nd to my 3rd at the National Z show and I don't like loosing!! I Knew Paul From Avalon would take First.

So my Question is this What mods do you guys think Count?

I know at the National level Car shows, ANYTHING that is not OEM is considered a Mod. But I really Don't Consider my Nismo Oil and Radiator Caps as mods. If I was to list all the Little Mods like that I have Done to my Z (like Z valve caps) I would have well over 50 mods on my list.

Now, I'm not done with my Z yet (I'm not sure if I ever will be) But How much is to Much?

Maybe I should just bring Dakota to every Car show I go to, Then I might win them All

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Girl Page?? I can do that

Attachments

#7 ·
Hey Chazz..Why you dissing me man???A mod is a mod as far as I am concearned..Why do you feel the garage section is becoming a competition?? I will remove my car and go back over to my350z if you would like??And by the way The judges took 5 points off on my car for "light scratches on brake rotors and inside of wheels dirty" and seeing how 4 points seperated me and Paul I think they just had to find something on my car worth 5 points...I couldnt find anywhere in the rules where it says Brake rotors are judged..Also I thought we were not being judged on the inner wheels and wheel wells due to the fact we drove 30 min to the show site..It seems like you were flaming me a bit for placing 2nd place...
You wanna talk about competition,go flame MAX..There is no way that a Stillen Body kit cost $5000...I think he is inflating the costs of his mods a bit to impress someone..I personally am not looking to impress anyone with the amount I spend on my car considering I do 95% of my own work on everything otherwise I could never afford the things I have done...I thought the Garag section was to share ideas and mods and gain knowledge but apparently some people get a tad bit pissed off when someone wants to share some creative thoughts and mods.No matter how small...I have personally seen guys list ZAINO as a MOD??WTF??
Chazz,if it bothers you that people have spent a few more $$$$ on their car than you then I will personally remove my car from this site at your request...

#8 ·
Calm down dude. The pic of the girl in the Daytona Blue Z got me excited too! LOL
The fact is that modding is expensive. I chose to go N/A, which gives good gains, but nothing like TT or SC. It is more reliable and doesn't require all the tuning of F/I, and has less risk of blowing the engine.

For the money I have spent, I could easily have a supercharger with money left over, and for not too much more, I could have a Greddy TT.

This is a learning experience for me. The most I have ever done to mod a car before this is a lot of suspension work and an engine chip in a couple of BMWs I had before the 350Z.

I do not do this to impress anyone but myself. I share the info about my car so other owners can make informed decisions about modding their cars. If I had it to do over, I might go F/I, but I have too much invested in my N/A car now to get rid of the intake, plenum, headers, etc. to switch to an SC or TT.

Now just drive it.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Daking350Z@Jan 27 2004, 10:59 PM
Hey Chazz..Why you dissing me man???A mod is a mod as far as I am concearned..Why do you feel the garage section is becoming a competition?? I will remove my car and go back over to my350z if you would like??And by the way The judges took 5 points off on my car for "light scratches on brake rotors and inside of wheels dirty" and seeing how 4 points seperated me and Paul I think they just had to find something on my car worth 5 points...I couldnt find anywhere in the rules where it says Brake rotors are judged..Also I thought we were not being judged on the inner wheels and wheel wells due to the fact we drove 30 min to the show site..It seems like you were flaming me a bit for placing 2nd place...
You wanna talk about competition,go flame MAX..There is no way that a Stillen Body kit cost $5000...I think he is inflating the costs of his mods a bit to impress someone..I personally am not looking to impress anyone with the amount I spend on my car considering I do 95% of my own work on everything otherwise I could never afford the things I have done...I thought the Garag section was to share ideas and mods and gain knowledge but apparently some people get a tad bit pissed off when someone wants to share some creative thoughts and mods.No matter how small...I have personally seen guys list ZAINO as a MOD??WTF??
Chazz,if it bothers you that people have spent a few more $$$$ on their car than you then I will personally remove my car from this site at your request...

Daking, you took What i said the wrong way Bro. The only reason I Even used you as an example is that you are the only one on this board that Has been In a National level Show with me. I also think you have a competitive nature Like I do.

We all wanted to beat Paul, but it is hard To beat the Guy who put on the Show. I do not want you to Leave, you have a great deal of Knowledge to offer this board. I Just want to Beat you at the Next Show
I did not mean to Flame you,
I just thought you would understand what I was talking about Especially after the "Re-Classing" that happened in Nashua.

BTW, how did you get your Score Card from the show? I never got mine. And YES we where supposed to be "Winter Rules"
no under car or wheel/wells. It was all jacked up anyways. My interior Judge was Street mod, my Exterior judge was Nissan Modified my Engine judge was Ultra Modified? What up with that???

Sorry for the mix up, See you in Long beach in June @ the 17th Annual International Z Convention. The Car Show this Year will be Huge 800 to 1,000 Cars. It will be at Nissan Corporate HQ.

#11 ·
Ok,Sorry chaZZ I took it the wrong way,my bad....I got my sheets in the mail about 2 weeks ago..I was heated when I seen the deductions they took on my wheels
I sent MAD mike an E-mail and he fowarded it to a different Paul who is in charge of the judging,who basically said they have no control over human error...I think they would have taken off points no matter what so Paul could win...I wont be attending anymore Z shows they are all Bullshit as far as I am concearned..I am putting my efforts forth on the 1/4 mile...Anyway I re-read your intial post and I kind of see where you were comming from...Peace..

#13 ·
Chazz - In ZCCA National competitions, it is not the number of modifications that count. It is a concourse show. It is the attention to detail and detailing that count. The number uf visible upgrades only determines the class you are in. A better detailed car will win everytime. We are talking about a little rust on the head of a bolt is a deduction. As a certified judge and Nissan Gold Medallion / Gold Cup judge, I can spend hours on the subject.

Regards

#14 ·
Additional coments -

For the person who stated I would win because I was the Convention Chairman - That is total $%%^&. I was not the car show event manager and the judges are selected from ZCCA member clubs. The judges for each class is determined by experience and selected by the ZCCA Car SHow Chairman. It is also to be noted that both my cars in the show we never touched by me during and the days prior to the shaw as I was running a convention. I had my race tech do all the work.

In modified classes you can change anything out with out a deduction. It is the detailing. BUT ------ Anything that did not come from the factory is a visible option. Even NISMO add on parts are 100% dealer or end user installed.

In the category that covers wheels. It also covers brakes as part of that. It is in the description per the Modified class ZCCA Chair. Winter rules is the fact that incidental road rust and and slight dirt on the undercarriage is acceptable. The back side of the wheels still has to be cleaned and the rotors as well. IT comes down to detailing.

I find it humorous that people think the cars were judged so I can win. That is crazy. I already have achieved the highest level award in Nissan shows. I entered because I supported the convnetion. In fact, nobody ven sees the scores until the ZCCA Chairman hands them to me at the closing banquet for announcement. I got my score sheets and they took deductions off on my car that items my tech missed. I was not thrilled as I could have taken some of the speciality awards as well. The judges on my class we not from the local club.

The key is visit the ZCCA web site and download the rules and process for the show.

In any game it is best to understand the playing field. I have been doing ZCCA national shows for 7+ years. I am also the recipient fo Gold Medallion #12.

After seven years you know how to play the game and how to do better. CHAZZ, Send me your scoresheets and I can review them.

Regards

#15 ·
Paul,

The part about brake rotors being judged,I searched and searched the rules and couldnt find a single typed word about this..Can you please post them or send it to me with this section highlighted...I suffered a 5 point deduction for "light scratches brake rotors,back of wheel dirty" How exactly do you have LIGHT SCRATCHES on your brake rotors as they are under constant friction...The back of the wheel I understand,even though the back of my wheel was painted black and "mistaken for being dirty...I would like to learn a bit more for if I ever compete in such an event..

#18 ·
so apparently these cars cannot be driven if entered in a show? that would result in scratches im sure

Most people drive their cars to the show..Chazz drove from TX to NH!!!Some guys Trailer their cars..The ones that are "Trailor Queens" obviously suffer less wear and tear and rock chips..So generally score better...I got 20000 HARD miles on mine

#19 ·
On brakes and wheels - Per the Chairman for the ZCCA on the car show, The wheels section includes the brakes. On a 10 point system, a 5 point deduction is average.

A suggestion has already been made to the ZCCA Car Show chairman to further define the categories.

Regards

#20 ·
Scratches on rotors and dirt is on te non pad surfaces. most people in a National ZCCA Event will take the wheels off and clean the whole brake and back sides of the wheels. Remember my earleir comment - attendtion to detailing counts.

At every shoew my crew will spend hours on each corner of the car. Then at the show take the wheels of and wipe any dirt that accumulated on the drive up.

This attention is how you win ZCCA national events and afer the car is 10+ years old a Gold Medallion or Gold Cup.

Regards

#23 ·
I was told Months before the Show, that you (Paul) would Be the one to beat in the 350Z Class. The fact that You Ran the convention Was only a Small part of that. You where also a Sponsor of the Convention, You Own a Speed shop, And you have a "Crew" to Take care of your Cars. Your Z's Did not move all week, they just sat in the back parking lot Being Prepped for the Show by your Crew. I, for One, do not Have a Crew To Clean my car for Several days before a show. I also Drove my Z up From Texas (3k miles) just 3 days before the Show and went on the Poker Run the day before. I'm sure if I had two Z's, one to Drive and one to Clean, I could have placed better. Or If I had my Car Shipped up to NH, Did nothing else but Clean it while I was there, I might have done better as well, But would not have Enjoyed My Z as much as I Did, or your Convention.

I would Sent you my score sheets, but I have not yet got them.

My Point is this, The Z was Made to Drive. The Conventions are to have fun WITH the Z, but if you want to win the ZCCA show you can only have fun Cleaning your Z. The Only class that Everybody has an Equal Chance is the People Choice, Other than that it will always be the local Guy or Trailer Queen with the most Money, or the Best Crew that will win. There has to be a Way to Level the Field and make the Judging more Fair.

BTW how many judges where not From the New England Area, And how Come My interior Judge was Street mod, my Exterior judge was Nissan Modified my Engine judge was Ultra Modified?

All bitching aside, you and your club put on one of the best Conventions to Date. I just Hope the Long Beach Show is half as well run and put together as yours was, Thanks For all your Hard work

#25 ·
Avalon Racing/ Paul (?), do you have pix of your car? It must be prettty **** hot if it beat Chazz's and DA King's Z's

Its actually pretty simple looking...No BLING.Except for those wheels, I love em!!
like Paul and Chazz said,It all about who drives their car the least and cleans it(or has his crew clean it) the best...Not to debate but you had to expect some type oc contraversy over hosting the convention and entering 2 of your cars with all the members of your own NE Z club judjing...Like Chazz said you had the hometown advantage....And the finances to win 1st...I personally enjoy actually driving my car,VERY HARD too...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.