Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 04 track and am considering the following:

popcharger
plenum
free flow cats
true dual exhaust

My question is what would the hp and rwhp gains be? I know there are many different ways to configure this with all the differnt manufacuteres for these components, but, generaly what could I expect?

Bryan

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
About 250whp, give or take a few. I would simply take the Z to a dyno while it's stock, get a good baseline, and then you'll know for sure.

HP gains:

Popcharger ~ 3-4
Plenum ?
Cats ~ 5-8
Exhaust - depends on which one. About 8-10 here...

Most Z's avg anywhere from 225-235 at the wheels.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Like smooth said but maybe 250 if you are lucky. I would say more in the 245 range

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. I think it sounds like a good investment. The parts will cost around 2k and it loos like it will get me about 20-30hp.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Personally, I'd just save an additional 3K and buy a used FI system . . . SC if money is a factor (lower labor & kit charge). Good for 340+ whp.

G

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Well, after my dyno experience tonight I can tell you that you'll definitely get at least 250hp.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by 350G@Dec 13 2004, 05:25 PM
Personally, I'd just save an additional 3K and buy a used FI system . . . SC if money is a factor (lower labor & kit charge).  Good for 340+ whp.

G

Not a bad idea. I will consider that when my warrranty has expired.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds like my setup so far hehe. :)
It will make a good amount of difference, i can tell you that from experience in my car. The true dual exhaust is going to be the main determining factor in the equation, since there are differences with the different exhausts on the market. I have the injen ses, and I like it very much. I'm not sure what kind of exhaust you might be in the market for. The stillen is nice, as are some of the other Japanese brand true dual exhausts. My personal oppinion however, if true power is the name of your game, i would go with a JIC titanium spartan single exhaust with a JIC y pipe. That made the most HP increase for me. Also for the high flow cats, i'd recomend crawford, those are what i'm running. I had a bad experience with the random tech cats on my honda years back, and never thought about using them again. They are a good company, but I just never wanted to give them a second chance. Crawfords have given me no trouble, and even though you don't gain much in the lower rpm's, i noticed a huge gain up top. The plenum again, it going to be mainly top end power. I'd recomend going with crawford or kinetix on this. I have the kinetix and am thinking of swapping out to crawford just to see if there is much difference. I like my kinetix but it didn't give me the gains i had hoped for. It did make a difference though. As for the intake, you can't go wrong with the pop charger, nismo, k/n, or stillen. All are really good. I have the gruppe m intake and i love it, but it's the same gains as some of the other intakes out there, so if the bling factor is not a concern, this is not the intake for you.

All in all you are on a good plan for some fun! :)
if you have any questions, feel free and get a hold of me, i'd be glad to help you with anything you need.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Originally posted by bryanca1@Dec 12 2004, 06:07 PM
I have a 04 track and am considering the following:

popcharger
plenum
free flow cats
true dual exhaust

My question is what would the hp and rwhp gains be?  I know there are many different ways to configure this with all the differnt manufacuteres for these components, but, generaly what could I expect? 

Bryan

popcharger = 3-5 hp / around 3 whp
plenum = kinetix and crawford conservative around 10 whp
free flow cats = test pipes will get you around 6 whp
true dual exhaust = depending on the brand say around 12 whp

test pipes with exhaust = around 20 whp

Total whp with mods installed with a conservative guess = 33 whp

Stock Z runs around 227 whp, so your total should be around 260whp.

Anyone else have some thoughts?

·
Registered
13 Posts
i wouldn't give the plenum that high of an increase in power to be honest. maybe the crawford, but not the kinetix IMO. I can't tell for sure since i have not dynoed my car. I'd say about 20 with high flow cats and the exhaust for sre though, right around that anyhow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all of your thoughts. I am so addicted to this car and can't wait to make some mods. I just want to make the right choices. I think I am going to start with the toykilla intake tube and a popcharger. I hear that the engine sounds different once installed. Is this true, and if so how does it sound? are there any sound clips I could download? As for the rest true hp gain is what I am looking for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts