Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

how much horse power can u get from vortech

19K views 29 replies 11 participants last post by  illz33 
#1 ·
i was wondering what is the most horsepower u can get with the vortech supercharger with internals and everything and what do i need to make that amount of horsepower!!!

#2 ·
I thought you had a Vortech. Are you rebuilding? You can easily get over 400 to the wheels. I know a guy locally that has a very well tuned Z with a Vortech who's close to 400 w/o built internals.

#3 ·
[/quote]

yeah but i want more power i havent tuned it yet though but whats the most someones making with internals and everything and the vortech supercharger?

#4 ·
oh and one more question before i forget is it recomended to get the technosquare reflash even though i have the vortech supercharger??

#5 ·
any one??

#9 ·
[/quote]

I just ordered my crawford intake plenum and the lower intake thing form the track model performance nissan told me it works pretty good if im boosted!! :clap:

#10 ·
[/quote]

Have 398 hp with the Vortech 3.33 pulley. Also have D.C. Headers, V4 plenum, JWT Light fly and a good dyno tune.. Tune with an outfit that has experience with the R4 S/W. Oh, all stock internals..With smaller pulleys can probably squeeze another 8-10 hp..

#11 ·
i want close to 500 what should i get or do??

#13 ·
Commentary from the voice of experience with the Vortech.

1. Agree, if you want 500rwhp, you should replace the bottom end.
2. Crawford plenum and new lower intake will be good for you. For the same price, the new Kinetix Intake Manifold would be a little better. Specifically designed for FI applications and shown to create a little more power than the upper plenum replacements.
3. A moderate step up would be to replace the cams, but they do make a big difference on an FI car. For FI applications, I'd recommend Nismo, Tomei mild grind, or the JWTs. I have the Nismos, but if I were doing it today, I'd buy the JWTs (they were not available when I did my build).
4. No TechnoSquare reflash. On a Vortech car, the flash will make it more difficult for you to tune with the Split Second box and R4 software. Only real gain you would get with a TS reflash would be to raise your rev limiter or to help handle bigger injectors if you go that way.

Based on what the little I can read from your post, I'd recommend getting cams, headers, and maybe the 3.12" or 2.87" pulley. Then shoot for low 400s. Anything higher than that is risking your bottom end.

So says the man tuned to 425rwhp and still driving his 17K miles later. :irock:

#14 ·
i allready have headers , is it still safe if i put the cams in there? im probably getting them this week the jwt cams!!

#15 ·
Originally posted by mcduck@Jun 7 2005, 07:40 AM

4.  No TechnoSquare reflash.  On a Vortech car, the flash will make it more difficult for you to tune with the Split Second box and R4 software.  Only real gain you would get with a TS reflash would be to raise your rev limiter or to help handle bigger injectors if you go that way.

why no ECU relash???? I thought you would be better off getting a reflash (as long as your local to AAM or TS so you can have a perfect tune) instead of using piggback.....can you give me the cons of going with a reflash beside having to get reflashed if you were to do upgrades in the future?

this is what I had planned for this fall hoping for 400whp

Vortech (tuner kit) w/8lbs pulley
380cc or 440cc injectors
AAM complete fuel return line
Walbro 255
Phunks CAS Wire
1-Step Colder plugs
Xerd long tube headers
Crafword plenum or Kitnex NEW FI manifold
JIC Y-pipe
AAM ECU Re-flashed dyno tuned.... do not want a piggyback installed.... I want the A/F & Timing all controlled by the ECU

#16 ·
yeah how come no ecu reflash isnt technosquare pretty good?

#17 ·
The Vortech piggybacks on the ECU. If you change the ECU parameters, you change the tuning conditions for the Split Second box. It is designed to work with a **stock** ECU, not a reflashed one.

I'm not saying it cannot be done, but you will likely have to be more diligent with your tuning.

The other issue is where you are. If you must ship your ECU for the flash, it will likely take more than one shipment to get it right. Each car is different. Add that different mods & combinations of mods on different cars have different effects and you wind up with a situation that is difficult to tune 'by mail', so to speak. I know this firsthand as my ECU was shipped back and forth to TS four times (before adding the Vortech) and never yielded any real gains.

The reflash **can** help, but it will likely require more time (to ship the ECU back and forth multiple times) and more effort (more tuning time to dial in correctly). You need to decide if it's worth that effort. I personally found that it wasn't.

On the otherhand, if you are close enough to get your car to TS for the reflash, I fully endorse that. It's much easier for them to dial in your ECU if they have access to your car on site.

BTW, yes, it is extremely safe to put cams in if you already have headers. In fact, you'll probably get more power from the combination of those two items than you would from either mod by themself.

#19 ·
Originally posted by nismogcoupe@Jun 10 2005, 07:32 AM
I plan on just ruuning the car off a remapped ecu I will not have the ss box installed and since AAM can remap ecu's my car will be on the dyno will they reflash so I will have a perfect tune.
[snapback]112355[/snapback]​

when u dyno it, show us the chart!! im realy interested to see how that works!! :irock:

#20 ·
I plan on just ruuning the car off a remapped ecu I will not have the ss box installed and since AAM can remap ecu's my car will be on the dyno will they reflash so I will have a perfect tune.
[snapback]112355[/snapback]​

How would the aux fuel pump come on? it is turned on by the ss box..

#21 ·
Originally posted by Napoleon@May 28 2005, 03:17 PM
i was wondering what is the most horsepower u can get with the vortech supercharger with internals and everything and what do i need to make that amount of horsepower!!!
[snapback]107210[/snapback]​

Here are some numbers from my latest dyno run. Finally did some tuning on Vortech SC, Kinetix SSV IM and Technosquare ECU Flash (380 PE Injectors, 100%Throttle, Rev Limit 7100+ and Speed Limit removal).

#22 ·
That's awesome, SungNamZ! I go Monday for retuning for the SSV and 3.12" pulley.

I'm not running bigger injectors or TS reflash, but have cams, headers, cats, exhaust... be interesting to see it compares. If anything, I think I'll be hitting the wall with my stock injectors. Fuel system is my next upgrade slated for late summer. Which reminds me, I need to call Charles at CJ Motorsports.

#23 ·
those nubers are great man congrats cant wait to tune mine!!

#24 ·
I have a built lower end , 9 to 1 pistons , Nismo cams , 550 injectors , return fuel system ,Crawford plenum, headers , Crawford cats , Stillen dual exhaust , Vortech T-trim blower . Making 13.5 lb's of boost . If the belt didnt slip after 13.5psi , It would be close to 15psi . On a Mustang Dyno I put down 400whp and 319trq. ....If you convert it to Dynojet numbers . Which every one seems to like to do ...Im at 452whp and 355trq.

#25 ·
impresive i realy need internals to make that much power dont i?

#26 ·
These are the #'s I got with the mods I have in my sig

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.