Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up an Apple iPod for $150, open box discount (the thing is brand new, looks completely untouched). I was wondering what others have been gettin them for.

Also, who uses them in their cars? If so, does anyone use This - (for Alpine HU only)

If so, is it easier to use than just running the iPod on its own?

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I'm supposed to complete that for a friend too. I haven't done it yet. I heard that it really works. Any other iPods for cheap? I'm kinda looking for one for Christmas.

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
Yeah, you can get the free iPods. But it comes at the cost of basically receiving SPAM for life.

Anyway, I paid full price for mine before the price drop. It was worth it to me.

And Jet, I've never used that unit, but if my understanding of it is correct, it's definitely worth it because you can control the iPod through the HU rather than needing to fuss with the buttons on the iPod itself

·
Registered
64 Posts
i was gunna buy an ipod yesterday..then i saw the adds for the hanheld xm thingie..kida looks sweet too so in deciding between the two

·
Premium Member
5,911 Posts
If I were in the market today, I would buy the new Sony Network Walkman. I'm definitely a Sony *****, but still, it's the size of an iPod, the cost of the iPod pre-price drop (when they came with accessories), and has like twice the battery life.

But I love my iPod. I bring it to work and drop it into my inMotion speakers there. The speakers are definitely overpriced for the quality, but not for the convenience

·
Registered
84 Posts
I got a brand new 4th generation 40gb ipod for 279. I also have the alpine 9835 headunit and the alpine 420i ipod interface. Unfortunately, Ialso installed sirius satellite radio and I just remembered that my ipod has been in my car for the last three weeks. ( I guess that shows you how much I use it compared to the satellite radio)

P.S. The alpine interface thing is kinda slow if you have a lot of music stored on your ipod

--Kwame

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Kkoa12h@Nov 22 2004, 10:10 PM
I got a brand new 4th generation 40gb ipod for 279. I also have the alpine 9835 headunit and the alpine 420i ipod interface. Unfortunately, Ialso installed sirius satellite radio and I just remembered that my ipod has been in my car for the last three weeks. ( I guess that shows you how much I use it compared to the satellite radio)

P.S. The alpine interface thing is kinda slow if you have a lot of music stored on your ipod

--Kwame

Just curious, what do you consider "A lot" of music? And how is the usability for the Alpine HU in selecting songs? If the unit sucks, I'll probably just return it and go get the $15 connector and run it right from the ipod.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Originally posted by Kkoa12h@Nov 24 2004, 01:11 PM
i have 6700 songs

OK, cool, I narrowed mine down to 2,647 so mine should be pretty quick right?

What was slow, the search feature (like when looking for music)? Or was it slow to skip songs, or move around within the unit?

Also, where did you install the interface box, and where do you keep the ipod?

·
Registered
84 Posts
The search feature is what was slow. The 420i is mounted under my seat I had Ultrasound in Lynbrook do the install they are known as the best audio installers on Long Island. Then they made it so that my ipod is in my glove compartment in the recessed floor under the mat. Everything looks stock.

--Kwame

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude, I just installed - and uninstalled the unit. The search feature isn't slow, its UNUSABLE. Period.

She's on her way back to crutchfield right now. Instead, I opted for the Monster cable in's that hook right into the AI-net input on my HU. That way, I'll just deal with controlling the iPod from the unit itself (which really isnt a big deal, as I tested it out while driving with the headphones to see if I was coordinated enough lol)

So yeah, if anyone is considering this mod, DON'T DO IT. The thing sucked, in the way they set up the search feature.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by Kkoa12h@Nov 25 2004, 01:25 AM
Wow, Sorry, well I guess all thats left to say is Happy Thanksgiving and good luck

Heh, same here, happy thanks to you and yours!

Besides, I needed the practice in taking my dash apart and putting it back together for a second time lol

And when the parts come here, I'll get to do it one more time! yay!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts