Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know how much Boost the stock VQ35 engine can take safely? I would like to know if some of you guys running Vortech or TT setups are running above 8psi and what results you have had. Also maybe how long or how many miles you have been above 8psi.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I would say the limit is 9 psi with any kit. 9 PSI is ~430rwhp on any kit (not including any other mods).

Like Jaysen said though, 6-7 PSI would be the safest.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Originally posted by briankort@Jul 3 2005, 09:19 PM

Does anyone know how much Boost the stock VQ35 engine can take safely? I would like to know if some of you guys running Vortech or TT setups are running above 8psi and what results you have had. Also maybe how long or how many miles you have been above 8psi.
[snapback]126153[/snapback]​

Honestly Brian, that is a question the jury is still somewhat out on. There has been several examples of blown engines with F&I and there more theories on why then their is blown motors. I personally believe the vdq is as safe as most any motor out there. I think most of the problems came from experimentation with a new motor and the lack of knowledge in tuning. I also believe the ratio of blown motors to Forced motors is fairly low. If you find a good shop to do your install and tuning (or do it yourself if your capable) and you have the cash the sky is the limit. There several guys out there running north of 8 pounds, up to 18 from what I have heard with few recent problems.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So it sounds to me like the real issue is how the cars that had blown engines were tuned. I'm also guessing the blown engines came from detonation? So the key is the right amount of fuel for the amount of air your forcing in the intake and the timing and the type of gas you run. Is that about it?

Also, still wanting to hear from any Vortech guys who have went to smaller pulleys!

·
Registered
470 Posts
Originally posted by briankort@Jul 3 2005, 10:08 PM
So it sounds to me like the real issue is how the cars that had blown engines were tuned. I'm also guessing the blown engines came from detonation? So the key is the right amount of fuel for the amount of air your forcing in the intake and the timing and the type of gas you run. Is that about it?

Also, still wanting to hear from any Vortech guys who have went to smaller pulleys!
[snapback]126177[/snapback]​

Lol Me 2 , im thinking of changing my pulley but i need internals first right?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Napoleon+Jul 6 2005, 11:35 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-briankort
@Jul 3 2005, 10:08 PM

[snapback]126177[/snapback]​

Lol Me 2 , im thinking of changing my pulley but i need internals first right?
[snapback]127392[/snapback]​

Well, I don't really think you need internals for the next size pulley. Your only going to 10psi instead of 8psi. I think that you just need to get your car on a dyno and make sure your giving it enough fuel for the added air. A y-band would be the best thing to have, that way once you have it set at the dyno, you can change it to compensate for large changes in temperature. If you dyno at 85 degrees and then run it at 69 degrees, you might not have enough fuel! Then POW, detonation. Also I wouldn't run anything less than 95 octane gas if you are adding boost. But hey what do I know. Try to get a few opinions on this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts