Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm taking a break in Sydney on Friday for 9 days and got some good accomodation at Lake Crackenback - leaving during the week in some crappy hire car how long would it take me to get there? I live in Perth and have always wanted to see the alpine area so this is a good opportunity.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Chris, I would take about 6 hours.

Lake Crackenback is about 10 minutes from Jindabyne which is about half an hour or so from both Thredbo and Perisher.

Don't forget to allow some time in Fyshwick to pick up some "fireworks".

As always

H

·
Registered
352 Posts
Forgot to add.

All the roads bewteen Sydney and the snow fields are heavily patrolled and even more so after Canberra. The prime pick for cops is the highway around Bredbo (not a typo).

As always

H

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
CAR - I always stay in Thredbo village when I ski NSW.
6 hours is plenty of time and will give you time for some rest stops along the way.
Not sure where in Sydney you're staying, but generally get onto the M5 motorway and drive south. M5 joins the Hume Hwy and within approx 2.5hrs you'll be near Canberra. Before getting into the heart of Canberra, take the first turnoff left that says Cooma - that way, you'll avoid driving through Canberra city. From this turnoff, it will take you about another 2.5 hours to get to Jindybine (which is the next town centre after Cooma). Jindy is the best place to stop and buy any essentials that you may need to take up to the mountain with you.

Thredbo is then appox 0.5 hour drive fom Jindybine.
Get a map of NSW from either NRMA in Sydney or from your local motoring organisation in Perth.

Enjoy the snow.

PS - make sure you get snow chains for the Corrolla, as it is compulsory to carry these while inside the Kosiosko National Park.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts