Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have driven in every condition from tornados, frozen lakes, feet of snow, inches of rain, mud, grass, and even dry pavement. I have driven all wheel, front wheel, and rear wheel.

But I can't seem to drive the Z in on icy slippery roads. If I try to accel, I just sit there. the car doesn't go. I realize this has to do with VDC and TC but I've driven with those too and I've never expierenced this. I've put 90 pounds in the back to help keep it down a bit, but it hasn't seemed to help.

Stopping slides my car too, the abs work but my stop distance is very great. I am afraid of going over 20 mph.

I know I'm not the only one in a cold climate, so what am I doing wrong? How does anyone else do it. On the highway too, I can't imagine what would happen if I was on that and it snowed.

I have the stock tires, but even so it should be that horrible.

Please help.

Everyone was right, I should have kept my saturn for a winter beater. I am humbled.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I wish I had an answer for ya, but I don't. Considering my wife and I operate on 2 different schedules, I just drive her Jeep when the weather gets bad.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
Tires are a big help. If you could pick up some Blizzacks or something you'll notice a world of difference. I live in NJ so we don't get a ton of sn*w, but a few storms each winter. When I get stuck out in the Z I drive very slowly. Getting started from a stop I often have to disable the VDC or else I won't move. I re-enable it after I get moving. You also might want to try a 2nd gear start to kill some of the torque. As far as braking goes, just keep a real good distance between you and the car in front of you :lol: As long as you keep a low enough speed you should be ok. Don't downshift to engine brake though, i've tried this once and the tq **** near fishtailed me.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
From my own personal experience, the Potenzas suck in any kind of cold weather, so those would be the first things to go if you're going to drive the Z all the time.

You might want to look into investing in a set of steel wheels and snow tires. Keep the OEM wheels clean and dry in your basement or something.

And keeping weight in the back is a good idea. Try carrying around some bags of cat litter in case you ever get stuck. I hear it does wonders for getting you unstuck.

Finally, be careful. Practice in an empty parking lot.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just walk. :biggrin:

Seriously in northern VA we do not get much ice but when we do, I like you find it **** near imppossible to drive the Z, so I either walk, or if I have to drive I try not to come to a complete stop if at all possible, if you have some momentum in the direction you want to go then the Z can usually continue to move.

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
The best way to drive the Z in the snow is NOT TO drive the Z....I have the blizzaks but have not driven w/ them in snow b/c we got a difft car to drive in the winter. I think snow tires would be the best way to go if a winter beater is not an option. I know some ppl do get around w/ the snow tires on. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
[/quote]
I see a lot more G35 coupes and sedans around here than Z's. So I guess they can handle it. It's our tires that suck.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
From what I've heard, our Zs handle very well in the slippery conditions, but the tires have got to be replaced in order for this to occur. I'm sure the almost even weight distribution has a lot to with it.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have found a full tank of gas adds weight distributed evenly in the rear. also, I took 75lb weights from my weight set and put them in the wheel well with a longer dowel to secure them from shifting. the positioning of the weight is key and having them in the spare tire securely, it is just right!

so far since i have done this, the Z has done great on stock tires, but I sure am planing on getting some new sneakers this year as stock rubber leaves lots to be desired!

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice, at least I know I am not alone.

I will be getting new tires, but not till summer probably. They will be more of a road/rain tire though.

I will be driving my Z next winter, but not in the snow or ice, I will get a beater to drive in really bad conditions. So if anyone wants to sell a car, cheapo, next fall I'll be in the market.

I'll just have to deal with it for the rest of the season. This is the worst time of the year though, because the snow thaws during the day, but then when the sun goes down the roads turn to solid ice. It makes things worse when there is a light snow over the top, making it wet. That is what the last two days were like, not so bad today though.

"Would it help if I got out and pushed?"
"...Maybe!"

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
i'll most likely just park mine too. :( Got a couple rally bred Celica's sitting here that are getting mighty jealous..

plus I don't think i'll find cheap winter wheels that will fit over the endless brakes :( oh well..

·
Registered
106 Posts
only reason to drive z in snow is to do some parking lot drifting wich is so fun, cause your at slow speeds, andyou can get the idea of hot to drift so when you get the balls to do it a high speeds you wont be such a puss, on a side note, either get a beater, or get some skinny snow tires and you will be much better off

·
Registered
11 Posts
its ice for crying outloud!!! no car works well in ice... chains may help and other normal thing you can add to a car.. but ice is not a cars best friend at all... i would just stay away from it .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts