Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
This is all I know so far, still being a newb to the world of F/I:

Twin Greddy TD05-18G turbos, oil pan, and Intercooler with 4 inlets
Some kind of Greddy dual exhaust with no cats... (is that a bad thing?)
A Greddy turbo timer and Profec B spec 2 boost controller
Two baby sized K&N air filters
AEM a/f ratio and boost sensors (someone told me they were crap)

Thats all I can think of right now. I'm still not sure what EMS the car has, or if the injectors that came with the kit are on the car. I was told that my boost controller doesn't have a solenoid, so it actually resets everything every time the car turns off. I'm hoping that means the peak boost reading I saw was incorrect.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
I bet the AEM 'sensors' are just gauges... they are useful for monitoring things, but 'crap' for trying to tune with. Simply put, they do what they are built to do, but not more.
The Profec is OK, so long as you know how to use it. But, judging by the blown motor, I'd say that peak boost is probably accurate. Boost spikes were a common problem with those Profecs, I think, when they weren't used very carefully.
They GReddy kit should be a solid one to start with (once you get the oil thing worked out). The first thing I'd do is figure out which EMS you want to go with, and have a reputable shop tune it when this whole project gets sorted out. I use UTEC, because that's about all that was available way back when I first did my set up. Now, there are a few better, comparably priced options, or you might even want to go big and get a stand alone system.
If you don't have a good clutch, that is a must. If will be $$$$ to go back and do it down the line, but if you're pulling the motor anyways, the cost (or pain, if you're doing it yourself) of install will be negligible.
Where are you located? Presuming you're not attacking this alone, maybe we could refer you to a shop near by...

Either way, they first thing you need to do is start reading. 350Z+Turbo+Uniformed = a very costly, frustrating project. If you can get yourself educated, get it done right, and for the right price the first (well, second) time around, you'll be much better off in the long run and not caught in this situation again...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I'm at the very bottom right corner of Alabama. They did a compression/leakdown test at the nissan dealership for free. Lucky for me my brother is a technician there. The head and block were fine, and someone stated that I was obviously color blind. The smoke had a bluish tinge to it from where the turbo is leaking into the exhaust and burning off. I was told that its worse during a cold start because the oil pools up from sitting, and takes a minute to get hot before it starts burning the excessive amount.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
ok, well if it's blue, it is likely not the head gasket at all...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

Unfortunately, I was ripped off. The dealer had the car warmed up before I ever arrived, which means I didn't see the smoke,and I was too excited to get them to put it on a lift and check for problems. It ran like a beast when I test drove it... I think everyone can see where this is going. Long story short, the car was bought as is, I didn't notice the smoke untill a cold start the next morning, and I learned a life lesson the hard way about buying used cars..." Don't be stupid, always check!"
************. That is INCREDIBLY dishonest. I would badmouth that dealership into oblivion if they refused to replace the turbos.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
...was it a Nissan dealer? ...or like a side of the road, rundown, used car dealer?...

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Wow, that's incredible. They should be responsible for rebuilding the turbos.

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
It was the Nissan stealership.
did I read earlier that you had cat-delete / test pipes on the car? and the dealership sold it to you with those on there?

speaking of, which dealership was it?

I would (meaning - me, James, 3.5) would write these guys a little letter telling them that they've done wrong and it's a black eye for all nissan dealerships...

·
4,328 Posts
did I read earlier that you had cat-delete / test pipes on the car? and the dealership sold it to you with those on there?
If it is true that a dealership sold you a car without catalytic converters and neglected to inform you that the vehicle was not legal to operate on public roads... they're in deep ****. That's a $25K fine from the EPA. And your "as-is" warranty has nothing to do with that.

So if they really sold you a catless wonder, I'd first try to work it out with them "Hey you sold me this illegal car that's jacked up. I don't want any hassle and would love to keep the car. So fix it and make it right, and we'll all be happy. Or give me my money back and I'll give you the keys."

If that doesn't get results, and this is a Nissan dealership, contact the head office. If it's no-go there, drop the dime to the EPA and your state's AG office. If you financed the car you can also contact your lender saying that they misrepresented the car to you, and they may sick their legal team on them.

-Ronin Z

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
If it is true that a dealership sold you a car without catalytic converters and neglected to inform you that the vehicle was not legal to operate on public roads... they're in deep ****. That's a $25K fine from the EPA. And your "as-is" warranty has nothing to do with that.

So if they really sold you a catless wonder, I'd first try to work it out with them "Hey you sold me this illegal car that's jacked up. I don't want any hassle and would love to keep the car. So fix it and make it right, and we'll all be happy. Or give me my money back and I'll give you the keys."

If that doesn't get results, and this is a Nissan dealership, contact the head office. If it's no-go there, drop the dime to the EPA and your state's AG office. If you financed the car you can also contact your lender saying that they misrepresented the car to you, and they may sick their legal team on them.

-Ronin Z
Oh man, it really gets me going when Ronin starts talking legal...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #32

-Ronin Z
That is the best news I have heard since I bought the car.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts
....can we get this going please!!??

·
Registered
3,254 Posts

-Ronin Z
:wub: I got all bubbly inside for the OP on this one. This is fool proof IMO. It's only a matter of how far you have to take it before they cave if you ask me.

·
4,328 Posts

Mitchell Nissan Inc

1600 East Park Avenue
Enterprise, AL 36330-4276
(866) 300-1554

The salesmans name was Vinnie Pluas. Now i'm laughing just like he was after I left.
I would strongly recommend that nobody contact this dealership or the salesman in question until LordVan is able to settle his dispute. There's nothing positive you can do to help him in this matter.

LordVan, if you want more detailed advice on how to proceed, PM me. I'll need to ask you some specific questions.

-Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
1,618 Posts
i would strongly recommend that nobody contact this dealership or the salesman in question until lordvan is able to settle his dispute. There's nothing positive you can do to help him in this matter.

Lordvan, if you want more detailed advice on how to proceed, pm me. I'll need to ask you some specific questions.

-ronin z
10-4

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
The good news is that my turbo is fixed. The smoke is gone, and the car feels and runs better all the way around. All I need now are some spark plugs and new o2 sensors. The bad news is that the stealership is dicking me around about the car's straight pipes. Apparently I didn't give them enough time for their routine inspection. Smells like bs to me...

·
Registered
1 Posts
The good news is that my turbo is fixed. The smoke is gone, and the car feels and runs better all the way around. All I need now are some spark plugs and new o2 sensors. The bad news is that the stealership is dicking me around about the car's straight pipes. Apparently I didn't give them enough time for their routine inspection. Smells like bs to me...

Dude this whole post is bullshit, take my name off or I'm going to sue you for slander. Everything you said is a lie and you know it. You signed a disclosed acknowledging that you where aware of the car and it's history, I personally went to you at you place of work. *******.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts