Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone know how to lift up the console boot on my 350z? i'm planning to change the shift knob to a new one and apparently i need to access to the shift lever underneath to hold it still while i twist the old knob off. Help much appreciated thanks!

·
Registered
282 Posts
I've got an '03, and I know they changed the design slightly in later years, so not sure if it will be the same. Anyways, the boot and the plastic console piece it is connected to all come off as one piece. I just slipped a small screwdriver under the edge and it popped off pretty easy. Just cover the tip of the screwdriver in electrical tape or something so you don't scratch the plastic console. If yours is a later year, it may be different though :dunno:

·
Registered
54 Posts
anyone know how to lift up the console boot on my 350z? i'm planning to change the shift knob to a new one and apparently i need to access to the shift lever underneath to hold it still while i twist the old knob off. Help much appreciated thanks!
The Tutorial section, is there for you my friend!
Try to search around the site first! :irock:

* Get into 4th gear for easier way to do the following steps:
* Now remove dash console around shift boot by reaching in and under edge of hole around the shift boot and pulling up.
* Lift the console up and gently turn over on towards the passenger side. Be careful of the white ribbon cable.
* This is reasonably delicate and you don't want to twist or break it. So disconnect it by pressing up / down on the little clips of his casing and it will disengage.

And after that, go read this:
http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Shift_Knob_...and_Replacement

I replaced mine also, and put a custom shiftknob (one of the first created), provided & created by my friend Terry Weston from ZeeToyz ( http://www.zeetoyz.com )
Always had a great service with him!

Here's a picture of what my shiftknob look like:

You can get one now, here:
http://www.zeetoyz.com/350z.htm

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
[attachment=23791:350z_boot_pic.JPG]
I've got an '03, and I know they changed the design slightly in later years, so not sure if it will be the same. Anyways, the boot and the plastic console piece it is connected to all come off as one piece. I just slipped a small screwdriver under the edge and it popped off pretty easy. Just cover the tip of the screwdriver in electrical tape or something so you don't scratch the plastic console. If yours is a later year, it may be different though :dunno:

thanks for the quick reply! is there any particular area you should put the screwdriver to prise it up? did you stick it under the edge towards the rear of the car or at the edge?

see the pic, i'm planning to stick screwdriver under bit with red arrow, do you think that'll be ok?

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that should be fine. Whenever I have to take mine off, I usually lift from anywhere along that edge.

magic, that's great! is there much force required, just really paranoid about snapping something!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Nahh... Just use your bare hands (finger)

For me, I just put them inside (from outside) the shiftbooth, by reaching the inner/under lip of the circle base.
Just give a little "up" pressure, towards the ceiling, and it should pop-up, just fine :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nahh... Just use your bare hands (finger)

For me, I just put them inside (from outside) the shiftbooth, by reaching the inner/under lip of the circle base.
Just give a little "up" pressure, towards the ceiling, and it should pop-up, just fine :)

cheers i'll give it a go. my original factory install orange leather shift knob is damaged so i'm replacing it with a new one exactly the same... got it on ebay! your silver one looks great though, v jealous!

·
Registered
54 Posts
cheers i'll give it a go. my original factory install orange leather shift knob is damaged so i'm replacing it with a new one exactly the same... got it on ebay! your silver one looks great though, v jealous!
Thanks!
Have a good shopping frenzy! :irock:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks!
Have a good shopping frenzy! :irock:

just to let you guys know, i've now fitted the new shift knob, took me only 5-10 mins thanks to all the advice here and all went pretty smoothly... looks great now, cheers and merry xmas!

·
Registered
754 Posts
just to let you guys know, i've now fitted the new shift knob, took me only 5-10 mins thanks to all the advice here and all went pretty smoothly... looks great now, cheers and merry xmas!
Just a side note for you, If you find the knob is easily turned sideways you can put a little bit of lock tite blue around the threads, this will give it a nice strong hold plus it will be removable with a little force if required. Do not under any circumstances use red lock tite, other wise you very well could have an aneurysm trying to get it off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a side note for you, If you find the knob is easily turned sideways you can put a little bit of lock tite blue around the threads, this will give it a nice strong hold plus it will be removable with a little force if required. Do not under any circumstances use red lock tite, other wise you very well could have an aneurysm trying to get it off.
screwed it on pretty tight and haven't noticed it moving so far, but will do the glue you said if it's a prob, thanks again for advice, merry xmas!

·
Registered
737 Posts
I just finished changing my shift knob!

Now here is my problem and as I was reviewing the notes, I realised that while I was focusing so hard to make sure there was no torque being transferred to the tranny assembly below, I left the brass ring in place that oddly enough sits alright with the other nut that came with the shift knob.

I'm just writing in to see if this needs to be taken out, the knob is slightly off kilter (it has shift pattern on the top and its abit skewed) and I guess when I address that I can take out the brass ring.

It sits up reaaaally high and maybe I should take off the brass ring thinger...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts