Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have purchased an 03 Z w/53k miles. ~5k on the turbonetics kit. Other power mods are 5/16" MD spacer, nismo catback. It is still running the stock TN reflash. It does have an AEM wideband and boost gauge.

So onto my question. I have read and read on here about the TN kit. It seems like everyone on here pretty much hates the kit. Since I already have the kit I am looking for advice on how to increase the reliability. So far I have the following plans...
- TUNE! I'm gonna go with Sound Performance in Chicago to get this thing tuned. I'm looking at using UpRev.
- hook up water lines
- turbo blanket to control heat
- header wrap on down pipe and possibly intake pipe
- use heat wrap on surrounding components
- change wastegate and dump to atmosphere? It has the updated piping and the owner reported no over boosting whatsoever.
- and last but not least, common sense driving.

I realize that with any FI there is risk and I understand that all I can do is minimize those risks. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
My 2 cents would be to add safeguards to the engine too -

-oil cooler (if you don't already have one)
-make sure you don't exceed the engine oil life, change right around 3k miles (I think my manual says 3500mile or 4000miles)
-let your car warm up and cool down before you drive it…my motorcycle says "cold" in the temp gauge and until it gives me a temp read-out I don't move it. In the Nissan, I use the little timer clock on the gauge cluster and I time 2 minutes to warm up.
-visually inspect your engine on a regular basis - I pop my hood every time I pull into my garage to let excess heat off the engine and I actually caught a fuel leak off my ATI Procharger fuel pump just by looking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response.

I live in Chicago so we have some pretty cold winters. Would it be wise to invest in an oil cooler with a temperature valve or should I not bother?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I live in Chicago so we have some pretty cold winters. Would it be wise to invest in an oil cooler with a temperature valve or should I not bother?
I hear ya! I'm in colorado, although the Z doesnt come out if there is snow/rain/moisture on the ground - for me that equates to +/-55degree ambient temp.

Despite the ambient temp, you're engine is still running at 200 to 250 degrees which means your oil temp is in that range … Stillen claims that their oil cooler drops the temp +/-35 degrees. Additionally it'll add oil capacity, which is usually a good thing. I think it's the best thing to do to elong your engine's life span. $400 is a pretty-penny for said benefit, but you can look into different systems and/or a used system, I think you could even piece-together your own if you wanted to.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts