Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, does anyone have the Hotchkis Stage 1 TVS Kit installed on their Z? If you do... hows the ride? any problems? thanks for your info! :irock:

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Mine was being installed today. I won't know what she feels like till maybe tomorrow afternoon. But I'll try to remember to let ya know.

·
Registered
788 Posts
hey guys, does anyone have the Hotchkis Stage 1 TVS Kit installed on their Z? If you do... hows the ride? any problems? thanks for your info! :irock:
One word: AWESOME! Best mod so far, excluding the tires. I think it actually rides better than stock. Not so bouncy. Corning is going to vary on how you setup the sways. I set the rear at max stiffness and the front to the softest setting to compensate for the massive understeer the stock setup had. So far, I think it's perfect.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I now have the Hotchkis TVS kit, but I had it installed separately so that I may see the difference that each part makes.

I've had the sways installed for about a year and half. I have the front set to medium and rears on stiff - I LOVE IT!! One of the best mods I have ever done. The car feels a whole lot tighter, less body roll, and of course, better handling. This mod really changed the characteristic of my Z for me, and turned it into a sharp and precise arrow.

I just installed the springs two weeks ago and not certain how this mod reacts as of yet. As soon as I lowered the Z, the camber and seems like every other element of the alignment process is way off. At first, I noticed that the road bumps were absorbed a lot better and the car did not bounce as much as stock. I also noticed the balance throughout a corner, cornering limit, and the ability of the car to transfer motion/weight to the rear were definitely increased.

Now after about 2 weeks (getting her aligned tomorrow morning), the ride seems to be very harsh, bouncier than stock, and the benefits mentioned in the last sentence of the last paragraph have decreased severly. I am sure that these negatives are due directly to misalignment, and so I can't wait to get this fixed tomorrow. I just want to let you know what to expect while waiting for the 2 weeks to get her aligned. My alignment is seriously off though, and I noticed that my rear wheels are somewhat facing the in into the body of the car :headshake: .

To conclude, the sways :irock: , and I 'm sure that the springs will also make a worthwhile and effective difference as soon as the Z gets aligned.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I now have the Hotchkis TVS kit, but I had it installed separately so that I may see the difference that each part makes.

I've had the sways installed for about a year and half. I have the front set to medium and rears on stiff - I LOVE IT!! One of the best mods I have ever done. The car feels a whole lot tighter, less body roll, and of course, better handling. This mod really changed the characteristic of my Z for me, and turned it into a sharp and precise arrow.

I just installed the springs two weeks ago and not certain how this mod reacts as of yet. As soon as I lowered the Z, the camber and seems like every other element of the alignment process is way off. At first, I noticed that the road bumps were absorbed a lot better and the car did not bounce as much as stock. I also noticed the balance throughout a corner, cornering limit, and the ability of the car to transfer motion/weight to the rear were definitely increased.

Now after about 2 weeks (getting her aligned tomorrow morning), the ride seems to be very harsh, bouncier than stock, and the benefits mentioned in the last sentence of the last paragraph have decreased severly. I am sure that these negatives are due directly to misalignment, and so I can't wait to get this fixed tomorrow. I just want to let you know what to expect while waiting for the 2 weeks to get her aligned. My alignment is seriously off though, and I noticed that my rear wheels are somewhat facing the in into the body of the car :headshake: .

To conclude, the sways :irock: , and I 'm sure that the springs will also make a worthwhile and effective difference as soon as the Z gets aligned.
How's the ride now? Did you get it aligned and did it correct anything? I was also thinking of having the settings done like yours. Medium in the front, hardest for the rears.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
How's the ride now? Did you get it aligned and did it correct anything? I was also thinking of having the settings done like yours. Medium in the front, hardest for the rears.
Dave, she rides like a dream :irock: After alignment, she drives similar to a BMW in that the bumps are obsorbed a lot better, and there is virtually no body roll. The only problem that I am dealing with now and trying to figure out if it is the car or me: sudden left to right turns of the steering wheel make the back end feel sloppier than before. Not sure if this is just me, and if this was always this way, or if it the effect of the rear springs being softer than stock. I would think that the stiffest setting in the back would tighten this up and not lose the go-cart feel unless the rear tires are breaking loose, and this not the case :idunno:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Dave, she rides like a dream :irock: After alignment, she drives similar to a BMW in that the bumps are obsorbed a lot better, and there is virtually no body roll. The only problem that I am dealing with now and trying to figure out if it is the car or me: sudden left to right turns of the steering wheel make the back end feel sloppier than before. Not sure if this is just me, and if this was always this way, or if it the effect of the rear springs being softer than stock. I would think that the stiffest setting in the back would tighten this up and not lose the go-cart feel unless the rear tires are breaking loose, and this not the case :idunno:
What do you mean by sloppy? The rear end breaks loose easier?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What do you mean by sloppy? The rear end breaks loose easier?
No, when I switch lanes briskly, and then switch back to that lane, also briskly, the front is poised while the rear feels like it is still regaining posture. Wheels don't break lose, it just feels as though the rear sways longer than the front.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not sure if this is the car, or just me adjusting to the different feel. + I don't perfrom brisk manuevers frequently, so I do not experience often to pinpoint the issue at hand.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
No, when I switch lanes briskly, and then switch back to that lane, also briskly, the front is poised while the rear feels like it is still regaining posture. Wheels don't break lose, it just feels as though the rear sways longer than the front.

As I mentioned earlier, I am not sure if this is the car, or just me adjusting to the different feel. + I don't perfrom brisk manuevers frequently, so I do not experience often to pinpoint the issue at hand.
Me thinks you just need to practice more at the frisky driving. LOL...I know I did when I felt more comfortable with my Z after the break-in period. Once the honeymoon was over, I drove her hard!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Once the honeymoon was over, I drove her hard!
DAVE, PLEASE FOCUS! We are talking about cars here :rolf2:

·
Registered
173 Posts
One word: AWESOME! Best mod so far, excluding the tires. I think it actually rides better than stock. Not so bouncy. Corning is going to vary on how you setup the sways. I set the rear at max stiffness and the front to the softest setting to compensate for the massive understeer the stock setup had. So far, I think it's perfect.

Same here, I was really impressed with the over handling and ride characterstics after upgrading the springs and sways.

But I do have a question about your sway settings. How does setting the front sway to soft help reduce understeer? It seems to me that allowing more body roll up front would increase the time required for the car to make a direction change.

Btw, not sure what your align0ment is set at but, toe-out will help improve turn in also (but will wear your tires).

·
Registered
655 Posts
But I do have a question about your sway settings. How does setting the front sway to soft help reduce understeer? It seems to me that allowing more body roll up front would increase the time required for the car to make a direction change.
For an excellent discussion of how spring and sway bar changes effect (affect?) handling, see Chapter 14 of Going Faster from the Skip Barber Racing School, published by Robert Bentley.

To summarize what the book says, stiffening the rear suspension with respect to the front means the rear cannot take as much body roll before the inside tire starts to lift off the ground. If this happens, all the weight in the rear of the car is on the outside tire, which will be overloaded and slip more, causing oversteer. A softer front suspension means the inside tire remains in contact with the road in the same situation.

karlh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts