Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Great looking kit man, i'm jealous. LOVE the look of those calipers.
What's amazing is that despite being more than 2x the size of the stock front calipers, the new ones only weigh
1 lb more :OMG: . The stock front caliper weighs 7lbs 1 oz, while the new one weighs 8 lbs 1 oz. Also, the paint job and finish on the ST calipers is awesome -- better than the car's body paint, I swear.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
What's amazing is that despite being more than 2x the size of the stock front calipers, the new ones only weigh
1 lb more :OMG: . The stock front caliper weighs 7lbs 1 oz, while the new one weighs 8 lbs 1 oz. Also, the paint job and finish on the ST calipers is awesome -- better than the car's body paint, I swear.
They will send you some touch up paint if you request it, or maybe they send it along with the kits now. I had to use some on mine.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Ok. Just got back from the bed-in run. First the good news.....

:OMG: After the initial stops from 60 mph to 5 mph and cool down, the difference is amazing. It maintains a constant level of braking all the way from 80 mph to 5 mph without any signs of fade. My buddy and I were giggling like two little school girls everytime I mashed the brake pedal and brought it down to 5 mph. The steady constant g's are just incredible. :clap:

The bad news: The pedal feel is NO DIFFERENT -- way mushier than I expected :headshake: . I can only hope that I still have air in the lines. It's late, though, and I have to get up at 5:30 AM tomorrow, so I'll investigate later. The worst case is that I have a leak. We found one right off the bat just before we left. I thought the pedal felt really soft, so I laid on it a few times and we checked for puddles. Sure enough, there was one under the front left corner. I didn't have the SS line and hard line connected tight enough. I hope that was the only one. :nervous:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Ok. Just got back from the bed-in run. First the good news.....

:OMG: After the initial stops from 60 mph to 5 mph and cool down, the difference is amazing. It maintains a constant level of braking all the way from 80 mph to 5 mph without any signs of fade. My buddy and I were giggling like two little school girls everytime I mashed the brake pedal and brought it down to 5 mph. The steady constant g's are just incredible. :clap:

The bad news: The pedal feel is NO DIFFERENT -- way mushier than I expected :headshake: . I can only hope that I still have air in the lines. It's late, though, and I have to get up at 5:30 AM tomorrow, so I'll investigate later. The worst case is that I have a leak. We found one right off the bat just before we left. I thought the pedal felt really soft, so I laid on it a few times and we checked for puddles. Sure enough, there was one under the front left corner. I didn't have the SS line and hard line connected tight enough. I hope that was the only one. :nervous:

Tomorrow is a new day.. You have a leak and air in the line(s).. Take your time and reinspect everything. Don't need a brake failure.

What kind of fluid?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Tomorrow is a new day.. You have a leak and air in the line(s).. Take your time and reinspect everything. Don't need a brake failure.

What kind of fluid?
Motul 600, but it's pretty old. Been sitting in the bottle for ages. I tightened the **** out of the SS line connection at the hard line. Friend of mine is coming over tomorrow to bleed again and see if we can get anymore air out.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Motul 600, but it's pretty old. Been sitting in the bottle for ages. I tightened the **** out of the SS line connection at the hard line. Friend of mine is coming over tomorrow to bleed again and see if we can get anymore air out.

good luck man.. you'll get some more out.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, I think I've got the bugs (and air) worked out. Since they've had time to "rest" since the first bed-in, I was amazed at how much better they are! Let me put it this way: There is so much force during braking that the AC switches on sometimes :OMG: :eek:hsnap: In other words, there's enough force to push the button. I'm not kidding. I hardly believe it myself, and I've thought about it quite a bit, but it really happened. I can't begin to describe how it feels. All I can say is they are worth every penny. :)

Here's some pics of them fully installed....
[attachmentid=13877]

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
Can you please let me know if you had to grind/cut anything (Dust shield) when you installed the front brakes? Also, what type of pads are you using? Also, any noise when braking?

Thanks Looks great!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Can you please let me know if you had to grind/cut anything (Dust shield) when you installed the front brakes? Also, what type of pads are you using? Also, any noise when braking?

Thanks Looks great!!
Yes, I had to trim the dust shields. For the front, the instructions called for only a small section around the caliper bracket, but I ended up cutting the whole thing off. For the rear, you have to cut off the whole shield. Note, it's the dust shield and NOT the thicker shield that acts as a wall for the emergency brake shoes. Also note that I got the ST-22 calipers for the rear and not the ST-45's. The ST-45's require more shaving and cutting as the caliper brackets are very different than the ST-22's.

Here's a shot of the rears.....
[attachmentid=13879]

Attachments

·
4,328 Posts
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Nothing worse than installing a much anticipated mod and have it turn south on you. You are now a member of the rarified BBK Club*. Congratulations!

:clap:

Best Regards,
Ronin Z

*Technically those vehicles fitted with the factory Brembo braking system (like myself) are also members of the BBK Club. But since the general public only finds OEM parts 14% as sexy as aftermarket, we only get a Junior Membership.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Glad to hear you got it all sorted out. Nothing worse than installing a much anticipated mod and have it turn south on you. You are now a member of the rarified BBK Club*. Congratulations!

:clap:

Best Regards,
Ronin Z
Thanks! Yes, I feel a bit better now. Still need to double check and make sure the system isn't leaking at all, but so far everything seems good. :shiftdrive:

*Technically those vehicles fitted with the factory Brembo braking system (like myself) are also members of the BBK Club. But since the general public only finds OEM parts 14% as sexy as aftermarket, we only get a Junior Membership.
:rolf2: Good one. Yes, I think people forget that the track model brakes are actually the equvilent of a BBK. You could even throw slotted rotors on as easily as changing the tires.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
:thatsfunny:
Someday, I will belong to this elusive club. :werd:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Ok, I doubt anyone other than myself cares, but since I mentioned weights in earlier posts for this thread.....

I'm a total numbers and data geek, so I weighed a major piece of the front and back on the old brake system and compared it to weights of the corresponding items of the new system during the install process using a good postal scale rated to 30 lbs. For what it's worth....

<table>
<tr><td>Part</td><td>Weight, OEM (lbs)</td><td>Weight, StopTech (lbs)</td></tr>
<tr><td>-------------------------</td><td>----------------</td><td>-------------------</td></tr>
<tr><td>Front Rotor</td><td>16.2</td><td>18.2</td></tr>
<tr><td>Rear Rotor</td><td>11.9</td><td>15.3</td></tr>
<tr><td>Front Caliper</td><td>7.0</td><td>8.1</td></tr>
<tr><td>Rear Caliper</td><td>3.6</td><td>5.2</td></tr>
<tr><td>Front Caliper Bracket</td><td>3.4</td><td>1.5</td></tr>
<tr><td>Rear Caliper Bracket</td><td>1.7</td><td>0.6</td></tr>
<tr><td>-------------------------</td><td>----------------</td><td>-------------------</td></tr>
<tr><td>Totals (per wheel)</td><td>43.8</td><td>48.9</td></tr>
</table>
</p>

21 - 36 of 36 Posts