Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fluffy, meet Bruiser. Bruiser, kill Fluffy!! :)
[attachmentid=13846][attachmentid=13847]
Just a teaser until I get the old calipers off to show you the huge difference there, too. I'm also weighing each major piece to see the overall weight change. Right now, the stock front rotors weigh 16.23 lbs while the new 355mmx32mm weigh 18.13 lbs. The new calipers feel about the same (maybe even lighter) than the stock ones despite being more than 2x the size.

More to come..... :cheers:

Attachments

·
4,328 Posts
:thumbsup:

Nice... very nice. You definitely have to keep us posted. It's starting to come together quite nicely.

:clap:

Regards,
Ronin Z

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'm jealous. That looks great. You're doing the install yourself?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm jealous. That looks great. You're doing the install yourself?
Yep :irock: :) Going over the instrutions right now. I left the old calipers on until I'm ready to start the SS line install. All I've done so far is remove the old rotors, caliper brackets, and cut the heat shields off.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Wow....that's quite a difference. The cooling fins on the rotors should be leaning to the rear of the car when installed if I'm not mistaken. Lots of folks seem to put the rotors on backwards, although I would not expect you to make that error.

Hand of Diety of your choice...nice upgrade Conan.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
*open vent*
F*CK!! :banghead: Not a good sign when a stupid little 12 mm nut won't come off. :banghead: So, why not use the impact wrench? Oh, that's right I don't have a 12 mm deep-well socket. :banghead: Well, geez, the standard 12 mm socket looks like it's gets juuuuussstt enough onto the nut. Ok. So, where's my step-down? Hmmmmm, seem to be missing it. :banghead: F*CK!! And I'm really just getting started.
*close vent*

Just tired of the little **** going wrong. Better go cool off till tomorrow. :angry:

[note: while posting this, my computer locked up :comp:. Time to go to bed.]

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
OK, things have progressed. I have the front brakes on :) Once I was able to hit that 12 mm nut with the impact gun things moved right along.

Here's a shot of a new front caliper compared to the stock front one....
[attachmentid=13849]

(out of space for pics....another post to follow....)

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I started looking at the directions for the rear brakes and found a problem: The directions are describing the install of StopTech ST-45's -- but I have the ST-20's. I can figure it out for the most part, however the install involves cutting both the dust shield AND shaving part of the caliper bracket mounting holes. Since the St-20 bracket looks a lot different from the ST-45 bracket, I'm going to call StopTech tomorrow and see if they can give me any better info.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
*whew* Looks like I don't have to shave the caliper bracket mounting holes! I checked StopTech's site (which is pretty good, IMO) and found the directions for my rear kit. Should take about 30 mins tomorrow to throw on :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
*whew* Looks like I don't have to shave the caliper bracket mounting holes! I checked StopTech's site (which is pretty good, IMO) and found the directions for my rear kit. Should take about 30 mins tomorrow to throw on :shiftdrive:
Lucky bastid :cheers:
I have to grind mine down :xZ!o:

Which kit did you go with - can't tell from the pics.
I've got the 14" kit

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Which kit did you go with - can't tell from the pics.
I've got the 14" kit
  • Front-
    Rotors: Slotted 355mm x 32mm
    Calipers: 4 piston, red
  • Rear-
    Rotors: Slotted 328mm x 28mm
    Calipers: 2 piston, red

Yeah, I'm happy I didn't have to grind the bracket bolt hole. So you went with the 14" rears as well as the 14" front?</p>

I'm debating taking pictures right now of the brakes on the car since the wheel wells are still really muddy from when I went to Zivman's place to install the clutch/flywheel. Kinda embarrassed about how it looks :hide2:. I want to wait until it's clean.</p>

And speaking of that "mud", Zivman: What the **** is that stuff? It's like that driveway was wet cement with how hard it's setup in my wheel wells! :buffing: :)
</p>

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
  • Front-
    Rotors: Slotted 355mm x 32mm
    Calipers: 4 piston, red
  • Rear-
    Rotors: Slotted 328mm x 28mm
    Calipers: 2 piston, red

Yeah, I'm happy I didn't have to grind the bracket bolt hole. So you went with the 14" rears as well as the 14" front?</p>

I'm debating taking pictures right now of the brakes on the car since the wheel wells are still really muddy from when I went to Zivman's place to install the clutch/flywheel. Kinda embarrassed about how it looks :hide2:. I want to wait until it's clean.</p>

And speaking of that "mud", Zivman: What the **** is that stuff? It's like that driveway was wet cement with how hard it's setup in my wheel wells! :buffing: :)
</p>
Yeah - I ended up getting the monster kit. Have to modify everything to make it fit :doh:
Looks mean as **** though & I can't wait to get it finally finished so I can :shiftdrive: :shiftdrive:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts