Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not very good with cars, but I will try to provide a quick review of these coilovers.

Just got it installed yesterday along with the JIC Magic strut bar. I had it on setting 22 last night (1 being most comfortable) and I bounced around so hard that I couldn't feel myself driving after 15 minutes or so on urban roads. During cornering, I could feel a big difference in stability. Today I changed the settings to 5 (very easy to change the setting, it takes about 30 seconds for each shock). Ride hide was extremely smooth, with a bit of jolt occasionally but was generally fine. Noise from the shocks were very audiable at setting 5.

I had a set of Esplier on stock shocks previously and I can definitely feel the difference before and after installing the Hypermax II and the strut bar. Cornering feels more stable and the car ride at setting 5 is much more comfortable than when I had the Esplier on. The only drawback would be the noise from the coilovers, but I can live with that. That, and the price.

Out of 10, I would rate it an 8. With one point going to the price and the other going to the noise.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Very nice! :thumbsup:

aftermarket coilovers usually squeak.. the noise may come and go.

FWIW, i have 30 way adjustables on my other car.. and i don't go near 20's unless I'm on R compounds or track driving..

other wise I'm at 15 give or take a few.

With my Zeal, I run 5 out of 6 daily.. Different setup..

Any pics of the install?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've asked 4 different shop owners, and they all agree that with coilovers you'll get some squeak, probably from the ball joints (stock uses a rubber joint I belive) rubbing and/or from the gas shocks (the softer you go, the more sound you'll get). Thats what these owners all told me.

I can hear the squeaks get louder when I move from 22 to 5, but of course maybe I was in too much pain to hear anything at all at 22!

No pics of the actual installation process, but will try to snap some pics tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
how is the ride compared to stock on setting 5, softer or firmer? how do you adjust the shocks? do u jack the car up for the rear? do you adjust the front shocks from inside the engine bay?

im leaning towards the HKS LS+ because i want a ride slightly softer in the front than stock, especially with 19s on the way

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At setting 5 i believe it was around the same as stock, maybe a bit harsher. but honestly I already forgot how stock felt as I went to Esplier springs about 6 weeks ago.

No need to jack up the car as long as you have small arm and wheel with thin spokes. Just stick your hand behind the rear rotor (not recommended after breaking!) and turn the knob. For the front, use the allen key provided in the kit, the know is right behind the strut bar.

I've set it to 8 today and it feels great. Will try 10 tomorrow and probably stop at that.

For the rear:

[attachmentid=11878]

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts