Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

F-Con Vpro or UTEC

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:seesaw:

I've got someone (several) to tune either one.

I'm not really concerned with cost. The HKS is about twice as much, I know this. It's okay. :)

VPro Pros:
  • 32x32 tuning resolution
VPro Cons:
  • Expensive. Though not a concern.
  • Not fully end user programmable
UTEC Pros:
  • User Tuneable Engine Control
  • Would be fun to contribute maps to community
  • Free software upgrades
UTEC Cons:
  • Not as powerful. Yet still more than adequate.
  • no VTC control yet
I'm not trying to discredit either of these. It seems there are people that have the VPro, yet not many can contribute to why it is "better". There are several Japanese tuners running the VPRO on the Z33. The orignal Stream Z33 (top speed record holder?) as well as the Steam 2. SumoPower uses the VPro for a lot of their cars. It has been considered the Godzilla of EMS.

The UTEC would require the Tuner REG (or PRO) to have a/f monitoring. Just as the HKS would require the Knock AMP.

As it stands right now, I'm going with the HKS SC kit. So keeping the HKS theme with the engine controls would be nice. Although doesn't mean all that much. Either will do the job nicely. No matter which one I go with, i will buy all available options. I presume the UTEC will win this poll since I only know a few people here have used the Vpro, and maybe a couple have tuned it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I would reccomend the HKS V PRO if your going for some land speed records such as Option Auto Salon did with their 900 hp Z33 that they rolled about 17 times end over end..That was a $150,000+ car they wrecked by the way..
IMHO if your putting an HKS supercharger on the car which has to date only made about 390whp,then for you to spend the extra money on a V-Pro and tunning a full standalone is not only not needed, but pretty foolish IMHO...Your just spending money for the sake of spending money at that point..
For power levels in the 600-700hp range the UTEC,Emanage Ultimate, or NEW UNI-CHIP comming out would suite you just fine and e more control than you will ever "NEED".I stress "NEED" as you seem to "WANT" to get the HKS and just want the forums approval to justify you spending money you dont really need to spend.. I think in the end the ultimate decision has to be one you are comfortable with and can live with without regret..I openly invite you to come to our shop when we get our Dyno in Late February for a full hands on tunning session of the UTEC to show you first hand how easy the unit makes tunning..After all, isnt the goal to spend more time DRIVING your car not TUNNING it all day and night..Hope this helps..
PS I can not vote for obvious reasons..Just giving my opinion.. :wavey:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would reccomend the HKS V PRO if your going for some land speed records such as Option Auto Salon did with their 900 hp Z33 that they rolled about 17 times end over end..That was a $150,000+ car they wrecked by the way..
IMHO if your putting an HKS supercharger on the car which has to date only made about 390whp,then for you to spend the extra money on a V-Pro and tunning a full standalone is not only not needed, but pretty foolish IMHO...Your just spending money for the sake of spending money at that point..
For power levels in the 600-700hp range the UTEC,Emanage Ultimate, or NEW UNI-CHIP comming out would suite you just fine and e more control than you will ever "NEED".I stress "NEED" as you seem to "WANT" to get the HKS and just want the forums approval to justify you spending money you dont really need to spend.. I think in the end the ultimate decision has to be one you are comfortable with and can live with without regret..I openly invite you to come to our shop when we get our Dyno in Late February for a full hands on tunning session of the UTEC to show you first hand how easy the unit makes tunning..After all, isnt the goal to spend more time DRIVING your car not TUNNING it all day and night..Hope this helps..
PS I can not vote for obvious reasons..Just giving my opinion.. :wavey:

You are more than welcome to vote. There aren't enough people that have used the VPRO to really make it interesting. :) And everybody is jumping on the UTEC bandwagon, So I expect more votes for the UTEC. :)

I'm not looking for the forum's "approval" .. What I'm looking for are comments from people that have real experience with either product. The UTEC looks very nice, but if the VPRO is really that much more powerful, than why not? People that sell both UTEC and VPRO have sided more towards the VPRO. Maybe they are just trying to make an extra buck.. But in reality, it's not THAT much more money. I'll already have the harness, so that's out of the equation. Utec is $1000 give or take. VPRO is $1400. Both require a $500 add on for wideband monitoring. If I'm already spending $10k, what's a few bucks more at that point?

Someone brought it to my attention that the UTEC doesn't control DBW. And it leaves it up to the Stock ECU. Now, I'm not sure if this is true or not, but if it is, perhaps the UTEC won't be as smooth. :dunno:

I'm looking for actual, side by side comparison. The ones that have tuned the VPRO, have PM'd me and told me without a doubt it is a better unit. But, I cannot tinker with it.

I appreciate your invite to your shop. Thank you very much. If I am not finished up by that time I will def. come on by. Well, I planned on coming by anyway, so I'll see you either way.

That being said, what is the tuning resolution of the UTEC? CPU specs? etc.. I haven't seen this listed anywhere.

The VPRO doesn't take any additional time to tune. People have had it up and running in 30min. And have a very good tune in few hours. And yes, I do think driving the car is more important than tuning it. So, imo, that goes against the UTEC. If I had the UTEC, I would constantly being tuning it. The VPRO would be tuned before I left the place (as would the UTEC).. and I could make minor adjustments for higher octane, weather, etc.. from the NAV.

Thanks for the reply Daking! :yourock:

p.s. Even if I do go with the underpowered HKS kit.. It's not like I'm stuck with it. Maybe I will challenge the land speed record, maybe I'll toss on the Top Secret kit, SFR or Greddy kit... (and I think it was 700ps, not 900.. but I'd have to watch the dvd again. :) )

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Does this mean I can't vote since I don't have any experience? :lol:

Chris, can you send me a link to the Fcon unit so I can read up on it? It's just for the sake of curiosity. I've heard so much about UTEC, but almost nothing about the HKS. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does this mean I can't vote since I don't have any experience? :lol:

Chris, can you send me a link the Fcon unit so I can read up on it? It's just for sake of curiosity. I've heard so much about UTEC, but almost nothing about the HKS. Thanks.

haha.. I want everyone to vote.. like I said.. the vote is just for shits and giggles.. the comments I want to be factual and not "vpro is a million dollars, utec is better" type of comments. (not that anyone has done that, I just hope not to get any of that)

:)

http://www.hksusa.com/products/?id=1965

I will go search and paste comments I find here.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Meh...both sound good. Almost looks like a flip of the coin. If you have tuners for both, then I suggest going with the tuner instead of the unit. Does that make sense?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Some random comments. Just take them at face value. IMO, the UTEC isn't just a cheap piggy back.. Based on the specs I can see.. it's very good. And different than that UTEC for the WRX, etc..

"IMO its the best , alot of the 350z FI'd that have a vpro make big numbers at low boost (i made 406hp @ 6psi). Its the closest thing to a standalone for a Z..."

Love my FCON V Pro. For a standalone, its where its at. Those who want a full standalone, this is the one. I would never use anything else anymore. Its more for when you go to a hardcore pro tuner and have them build you a car and tune it for you.

"I will put it this way, the FCON V-Pro ****ing rocks. Its that simple. After using it in my car and some customer cars, I have no intentions or desire to use anything else..."

"...With a 32X32 map for fuel and timing and a good tuner at the controls you have a car that can run like stock even with 850s installed."

"...We have the V Pro on our shop EVO. The unit is unbelievable when it comes to driveability and the time it takes to set it up. It does use the stock computer and does piggy back in. You have complete control over all fuel and timing tables though. We are currently doing one on a big STi build up we are doing too. We like to convert the cars over to speed density and do away with the MAS on the cars."

"Hks f-con vpro hands down. 32x32 map resolution. Keeps stock computer for quick startup and cruising around town. Tune it and leave it."

"The F-con is a wonderful unit, but it is unfair to call the zUTEC a piggy-back. The zUTEC can run the Z from start, idle to redline. When the zUTEC is installed it runs the car under all load conditions. The zUTEC code is hugely different from anything you’ve ever seen in a UTEC, so much so that it is hard to even call it a UTEC."

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Meh...both sound good. Almost looks like a flip of the coin. If you have tuners for both, then I suggest going with the tuner instead of the unit. Does that make sense?

It makes sense and then some. That is the best way to answer the question. The tuner I prefer doing business with says "go vpro, it's as sweet as it gets"

AGAIN, NOT trying to knock the UTEC.. I love the idea, and the ability to tune. I'm hoping to add some real concrete evidence in either direction in this thread.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Darn. The closest vpro tuner to me is in IL. Unless of course there's someone local who does it but isn't on the list....I guess I'm out of luck.

Does the HKS work well with NA applications? I didn't see that spelled out.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Holy smokes!

Pricing:

$2150 FCON V EMS, MAP Based.
$750 Knock/Amp (o2 sensor not included)
$250 Installation of FCON V
Tuning is priced by session

:wtf:

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy smokes!

Pricing:

$2150 FCON V EMS, MAP Based.
$750 Knock/Amp (o2 sensor not included)
$250 Installation of FCON V
Tuning is priced by session

:wtf:
that's a bogus way of putting it. If they can get away with that, more power to them.

knock amp is extra.. just at the TUNER REG is for UTEC.

I know where you got that pricing, and that's what they are asking you do for a tune. It doesn't reflect anything that you "need"...

For the 350z/G35 you need the following for the HKS:

F-CON V pro = Part# 42012-AK001 - Retail = $1395.00
VQ35 Wiring Harness = Part# 42002-AN005 - Retail = $495.00 (I would get this included with the HKS SC kit)
3 Bar Pressure sensor = Part# 4299-RA008 - Retail = $225.00 (I would get this included with the HKS SC kit)
Air Intake sensor = Part# 4603-RA001 - Retail = $55.00 (I would get this included with the HKS SC kit)
Pressure/Air Intake Harness = Part# 4299-RA016 - Retail = $36.00 (I would get this included with the HKS SC kit)

·
Registered
798 Posts
how long has the vpro been in circulation?
my opinion is go with the one that has the best results.... since utec has just been released it may still have kinks to work out. u wouldnt want to put the utec on and then have more trouble in the future. goodluck.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
how long has the vpro been in circulation?
my opinion is go with the one that has the best results.... since utec has just been released it may still have kinks to work out. u wouldnt want to put the utec on and then have more trouble in the future. goodluck.

The F-Con dates back well over a decade. The VPRO (a variant) has been around since 2002.

The UTEC has been around for a while also in different markets (WRX)

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
seems like the Vpro is a better option based on several reasons i have read so far.

alot of the 350z FI'd that have a vpro make big numbers at low boost (i made 406hp @ 6psi).
i personally think that is quite a number for such a low boost.

It does get expensive but this is also one of the most accurate and reliable EMS' out there
you get what u pay for again

I havent seen the UTEC, but ive heard weird stories about how you can feel it come into play. Utec hasnt been used on alot of Z's the Vpro has, if it aint broke, dont fix it right? Plus i wouldnt want to be a guinne pig with a new piggyback
it seems like the Vpro has been around longer and people already know what to do with it to get it work properly.

YET again this whole thing might be a marketing attemt so they can promote what they have available.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
A really good person to contact with Questions with the HKS is Charles from CJ Motorsports, he was the first one in the US to install and tune it. If you want to get really technical answers to your questions on the UTEC then contact [email protected] As far as bang for the buck and doing what you need it to do the UTEC wins hands down,not taking away from the HKS, its just "overkill" IMO..

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
seems like the Vpro is a better option based on several reasons i have read so far.
i personally think that is quite a number for such a low boost.
you get what u pay for again
it seems like the Vpro has been around longer and people already know what to do with it to get it work properly.

YET again this whole thing might be a marketing attemt so they can promote what they have available.
Exactly, based on what you have "READ" Ayman, not had "EXPERIENCE" with...In fact What systems have you tuned or sold to date that you can give an honest opinion on? Ill leave it at that...

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
seems like the pricing for the HKS is what driving people away from it.

i think the UTEC is a good price unit with reasonable gains

1 - 20 of 68 Posts