Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About an two hours ago I was drifting my Z sideways around corners and well...

I HIT A lane divider going sideways! (one of those 6" to 7" tall, 8" to 9" wide yellow lane dividers). My car slid sideways up on the median on the passenger side about mid-door and the rear tire continued over the median.

Anyways, my car tracks fine (no alignment needed), but I just looked under the the car and theres an orange "goo" around two bolts (mid-car on the drivers side) protruding thru the "W" shaped metal brace (the brace has a few scratches on it but otherwise is fine). What is that "goo"? I can't see where its coming from.

Before I jack the car up and start taking parts off to see where its coming from, can anyone tell me what that orange stuff is?

Thanks,

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I jacked my Z up and figured out that the orange "goo" is just mfg grease. I found the orange goo on nearly every bolt under the car.

Luckily the isn't any major damage, just some paint scraped off the underside - nothing that a little hamerite can't fix.

The traction control stays ON from now on!... :)

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
Hammerite - I never heard of it, at first I though you meant using a hammer to rite the underside, but googled it and found that it is primer. Learn something new here everyday.

Glad to hear you only did minor damage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily there's just some paint scratched off the undercoating on the "W" shaped rear brace and a little bit of yellow "divider" paint under the passenger side-skirt.

I hope I'll be able to keep the traction control on but these little rocket ships are so much fun with it off! :) I've only had this Z for 4 weeks (I don't even have my plates yet) and it sure is a big change in driving styles from my GMC Denali.

Yesterday was one of the first times I took the traction control off so I could get use to my new cars' limits... after about 4hrs of messing around drifting the back end nearly a few dozen times the last time I stepped the back end too far out - and slid sideways onto that divider...

Anyways, is it just me or does anyone else feel that these cars should have come with wider and stickier tires?

My first upgrade was going to be something along the lines of getting more power, but now I'm thinking I should get better traction first (ie; rims and tires).

Does anyone have an opnion on stickier tires?
I've read and heard that the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW tires are sticky. I've heard the same about the Toyo T1-S, but I've read that the T1-S's sidewalls get "oily" after hard driving. Has anyone experienced them getting oily?

Thanks

·
Registered
785 Posts
never heard of the sidewalls getting oily, and mine have never. But you need to calm down it sounds. Time to take it easy before you kill yourself. The car wasnt equipped with the tires needed to drift or road race the car with. They are Performance Summer tires. Be careful out there....

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
My first upgrade was going to be something along the lines of getting more power, but now I'm thinking I should get better traction first (ie; rims and tires).

Does anyone have an opnion on stickier tires?
I've read and heard that the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW tires are sticky. I've heard the same about the Toyo T1-S, but I've read that the T1-S's sidewalls get "oily" after hard driving. Has anyone experienced them getting oily?

Thanks
<div align="right">[snapback]70519[/snapback]
[/quote]

I have the Toyo T1-S and never seen them get "oily" :OMG: they are great tires....

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Hey, I agree with Conceyted.. chill out before we end up reading about you in the newspaper and the rest of our insurance goes up even more.

Every time someone wipes out and totals a Z (getting too common), or one gets stolen (rare), insurance companies charge more to insure that particular car (in this case, our Z's)..

·
Registered
50 Posts
If you really want to learn how to drive your Z Go to and auto-x. It is safer than the street, and you will learn a lot more.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
[/quote]

I have the Toyo T1-S and never seen them get "oily" :OMG: they are great tires....
<div align="right">[snapback]70772[/snapback]
[/quote]

No problems with the T1-S...love'em.

·
Registered
470 Posts
:postpics: lol jk, that sucks man!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
You have had the car for 4 weeks bro. Relax and get used to the car first. heres what happened to me.. 2 weeks worth of seat time and I took the VDC off.. popped the clutch with first, hit second and then the car went 90 deg to the left then 180 deg to the right. I hit a curb hoped up on a sidewalk. bent both my front rims. popped both tires also. My rims where touring style. Dipped in chromed. along story short I had to buy new rims the next day so I could drive to VA from Cali. I had to take what the tire shop could overnight to me. Baacrat rims. anyways it could have been worse. It cost me 2500 smackers to fix. I could have totaled my car. I don't horse around anymore and VCD never comes off. The car is not cheap to fix. Just take it easy bud. Trust me.. You where lucky.. I was not.
-Paullus

1 - 13 of 13 Posts