Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems that lately I've been doing more driving at night then during the day. I'm interested in importing some HIDs for my car. I know they are not legal in australia (correct me if I'm wrong). The reason behind it is that in the last week I've nearly ended up with 1 wombat, 2 foxes and another unidentified creature in my radiator.

So I think that I prefer to get a defect notice from cops then to replace my bumper and radiator. I think it's the cheaper way to go.

I think ypwat was interested in them, did you get it?

This is the kit I want to get. It costs US$300 shipped in USA, I'm trying to find out how much shipping will be to australia.

By the way, here is a tutorial on how to install a different HID kit. There are some photos of it will do for you night driving if you don't know what they are. Also the difference between the kit I want to get is that the light bulbs are 4300K and the ones in the tutorial are 5000K. All it means the the light will be a bit more white with less of the blue cast.

Right now I'm just probing to see how many people are interested to see if there is a point of asking for group buy price.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
no i haven't get them yet. I'm overseas atm.

Do you want to get them too?i it would be cool if we can all share the shipping but it's a pity you are in Sydney.

Gary you want it? get it together with me.

I just bought the Mossy adjustable shifter and hopefully it's as good as it was described.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not in huge hurry, when are you coming back? besides posting packages to from sydney to melbourne or vice versa doesn't cost as much as overseas shipping. In the worst case I just drive down to melbourne (which I do every 2/3 months) and get them of you guys.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I believe that the only reason that the HIDs would not be legal on the Z is because it does not come with a headlight washer system. I doubt that you'd get defected over that. If you were, then the cop would have to know all the rules and regs and hate you with a passion!!!

·
Registered
785 Posts
The headlight 'washer system' is in fact more for cooling of the headlight.
Those high intensity lights emit alot of heat!
Be careful not to fry the inside of your headlights. I am not sure if the HID assembly is the same as the halogen assembly that we have in Oz.
May pay to do some research to find out?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
KY, I'm aware of that, that is why I'm willing to take that risk. A lot of new expensive cars come with HIDs, so they might think that 350z might come with them as well. The only other ting that it will require me to do on long trips is to clean the headlights when I'm cleaning the windshiled at service stations.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
well i asked Jun (the seller) he got one reserved for me. i'm not sure if he still have one in stock. but i'll ask him anyway.

cheers

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually they emit less heat. HIDs are 35W compared to 55W for halogen. So there is a lot less heat, it's 3x brighter and it's there to keep the headlights clean so you don't blind other drivers with stray light (since it's so bright).

·
Registered
785 Posts
Sorry, the heat issue is the ballast (the convertor to run the HID lamps).
This has to be mounted so it can dissipate heat effectively yet not be subjected to too much water (if any).

nuff, the wattage has nothing to do with the heat emitted by the bulb. It is just the amount of power it is drawing. Saying that, the halogens would be warmer to the touch.

It is pobably illegal to convert as well, so contact your insurance company before doing.Sorry it is long but has good info:

BEFORE BUYING READ THIS:

It's tricky to judge headlamp beam performance without a lot of knowledge, a lot of training and a lot of special equipment, because subjective perceptions are very misleading. Having a lot of strong light in the foreground, that is on the road close to the car and out to the sides, is very comforting and reliably produces a strong impression of "good headlights". The problem is that not only is foreground lighting of decidedly secondary importance when travelling much above 30 mph, but having a very strong pool of light close to the car causes your pupils to close down, worsening your distance vision...all the while giving you this false sense of security. This is to say nothing of the massive amounts of glare to other road users and backdazzle to you, the driver, that results from these "retrofits".

HID headlamps also require careful weatherproofing and electrical shielding because of the high voltages involved. These unsafe "retrofits" make it physically possible to insert an HID bulb where a halogen bulb belongs, but this practice is illegal and dangerous, regardless of claims by these marketers that their systems are "beam pattern corrected" or the fraudulent use of established brand names to try to trick you into thinking the product is legitimate. In order to work correctly and safely, HID headlamps must be designed from the start as HID headlamps.

What about the law, what does it have to say on the matter? In virtually every first-world country, HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps are illegal. They're illegal clear across Europe and in all of the many countries that use European ECE headlight regulations. They're illegal in the US and Canada. Some people dismiss this because North American regulations, in particular, are written in such a manner as to reject a great many genuinely good headlamps. Nevertheless, on the particular count of HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps, the world's regulators and engineers agree: DON'T!

The only safe and legitimate HID retrofit is one that replaces the entire headlamp—that is lens, reflector, bulb...the WHOLE shemozzle—with optics designed for HID usage. In the aftermarket, it is possible to get clever with the growing number of available products, such as Hella's modular projectors available in HID or halogen, and fabricate your own brackets and bezels, or to modify an original-equipment halogen headlamp housing to contain optical "guts" designed for HID usage. But just putting an HID bulb where a halogen one belongs is bad news all around.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mickyboy, thanks for the post and I know what you are talking about when you mention about the glare, I've seen few cars with HID conversions and the glare is really bad. But you have to remember that our cars have projector headlights wich are designed with HIDs in mind. The only difference between the halogen housing and HID housing is that the later ones have a hold on the bottom with room for the balast. But the design of the reflectors and lenses are exactly the same between those two cars.

Also if you look at the photos in the howto link you will notice that the light is very directional, thanks to the projector lenses.

·
Registered
785 Posts
cool, just check with insurance co regarding their stance. Wouldn't like you to get caught out if something happens.
Saying that, I would love HID but wanting to do suspension set-up first.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Taken from this, they probably are illegal, but I would contact your state transport dept and ask about hid retrofits!

What about the law, what does it have to say on the matter? In virtually every first-world country, HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps are illegal. They're illegal clear across Europe and in all of the many countries that use European ECE headlight regulations. They're illegal in the US and Canada. Some people dismiss this because North American regulations, in particular, are written in such a manner as to reject a great many genuinely good headlamps. Nevertheless, on the particular count of HID "retrofits" into halogen headlamps, the world's regulators and engineers agree: DON'T!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You better check it since you are in QLD, and the laws there are a lot less strict then in NSW.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Not possible as there's no self leveling feature available from Nissan. I suppose you could throw enough money at it and have something custom made but it's not worth it. Just accept the fact that it's illegal and that there's a small chance you may get done for it someday. Bigger issue is insurance but I doubt they'd find it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fit a pair of really good spots behind the grill for your country driving? halogen lights are not that bad it's just the ones fitted to our car's are!!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts