Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the nismo lsd fro my 03 350z last week. I took it to the Nissan dealer. They had it for three days just to tell me that they could not do it. So I took it to my closest speed shop and they are acting like they are afraid of my car. I need to know what is involved in doing it or if someone has detailed instructions on how to perform this yourself. Also if anyone knows of a place in Southern Louisiana that can perform this kind of work.

Thank you for your help,
Jesse Marshall

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would think that your dealer could do it. Did they say why they couldn't?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They did not have the required tools. I believe they were talking about the backlash guage.
I asked them, "So you have never had to break into a rearend to replace anythin." He said no, So I said," I guess noone drives their Z?" All he did was snicker.

[/quote]

·
Registered
22 Posts
[/quote]
<div align="right">[snapback]83121[/snapback]
[/quote]

Dont feel bad, my nissan said the same thing. How much were they going to charge you? Luckily, I live close to crawford...Im hoping they will be able to do it soon.
I would also like to know how hard it is to install the diff? Is it any different than others? My friend has installed a nismo in an S14 diff, and he said it wasn't that hard. I could get it installed by him if its the same. Does anyone know if there are any differences?
Jon

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I can't believe the dealership couldn't or wouldn't do it. They have all the tools. How hard can it be? Worse than replacing a clutch or flywheel? Come on! They must have access to a PDF file that can show them step by step. The service manager could have made a couple of calls up the chain to find a way. :lame:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
[/quote]

Theres more. When I bought the car it had no front brakes. I drove it home and the next day I noticed that it stopped wierd. So I checked the brakes and the front brake pads were all the way worn out. I brought it to them the next day to tell them to fix it and they said that I would have to pay for new brakes and to resurface the the rotors. I had to have a few choice words with him. Well long story short it took two hours of arguing whit the ******* to get my brakes fixed for free.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
No way! Are these people for real? Do they run a used car lot out of a mobile home or something? I'd be all over it like white on rice. After the news, BBB, NNA and anybody else who listened, those guys would be kissing my ass.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I found a local place(hour away) that would do it.
Although it is their first lsd to install that is not already installed in the center chunck.
I know they can do it and trust them because they installed my sc in my S2000,turbo in my celica,and my 240sx.

Although they said it might take a day or two.

·
Registered
77 Posts
[/quote]

It also shouldn't cost more than about $350. Especially the Nismo.. And the nice thing about the Nismo, is that it is fully assembled. We checked the backlash when installing mine but was within spec so no adjustments had to be made... Good luck on your search to find someone to do it... Too bad your not closer to NJ.. :wavey:

·
Registered
77 Posts
[/quote]
OUCH! $600.. sorry to hear that.. Anyway, yes it is going to be loud. Ask them to see if they set it at 60% lockup. It comes preset at 80% so you have to adjust it to 60%. It will still be loud but better than 80%...

·
Registered
310 Posts
Plus, the 80% lockup is supposed to be pretty scarry on the street and track. A lot of people think it is just too much and causes the rear to get all squirrely. 60% should be much better.

You can also try some synthetic diff fluid. This is really supposed to help. Many run the Mobil 1, but I think the Redline fluid with a diff additive is supposed to work the best. Take a look around. Many have found different fluids that work well.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Heres a really stupid question...but would the installation of the nismo lsd help with my rear end wanting to break loose. Granted im still running the stock tires with the greddy turbo kit but when i go from 1st to 2nd the rear tends to really kick out sometimes...and im sure it has to do with my driving a little. But just wondering if it would help keep it a little bit better under control.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The Nismo LSD install is not that difficult a proposition, but it's not something you should tackle if you are a novice mechanic. I do agree that 80% lockup is way to much for the street, 60% is quite adquate. Correct backlash adjustments are paramount. It took me about four hours to complete from start to finish. Oh yea, you really need a hydralic lift. It's not something you can tackle on your garage floor with jackstands.

Get a professional to do it if you've never done anything like this before.

Oh yea, they're noisey! Use Redline and it'll quite it down some but get use to the noise.

As far as reducing wheel spin in 1st and 2nd off the line, it will not help. Learn to control your throttle. LSD's were not designed for straightline, launching performance.

Cheers

JRMSR :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have got used to it. It doesent bother me anymore. I talked to my installer and it is on 80 But I like it there very much. The only bad thing is now that both tires are getting bower I eat tires much more quickly. I just bought a new set two months ago and already need new rear tires. I guess I could fix it if I could stay off of the throttle a little bit. :shiftdrive:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts