Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:helpsmilie:

Okay, so I went to Atlanta to pick up my wheels yesterday. I was leaving my factory 17's and picking up my new 19" Axis Milanos. :werd: :goodtimes:

So, we got everything traded out and I pulled out of the driveway and the tire started scraping on the fender really bad :doh: :helpsmilie:

The sizes are 19x9.5 and 19x8.5. The rear tires are 295/35/19 and the fronts are 245/35/19.

I'm not really sure what to do with it though. I'm thinking that maybe a 275/35/19 will fit? :helpsmilie: I'm not sure if it will work or not. I could also toy with the possibility of rolling my fender.

I am in a tough spot here and either way, I'll probably end up buying new tires. Does anybody know if a 275/35 will fit under the fender without scraping?

Thanks for the help in advance guys. :yourock:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Damm Buddy...that sucks. You know I'm running 295's on the rear but with 18's. You can roll the fender if you want to keep the 295's...but your fronts are too small. You'll need 265's up there to keep the TCS and VDC happy (if so equipped). EDIT...could be different on 19's but that's the size I have to run.

275's should pose no problem if you want to change sizes. There is a guy in AL running 305's on the rear...but he rolled the fenders.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that the size was messing with it too Kenny. I would think it would have terrible understeer, but I didn't exactly get to try it out.

The fronts have 300 miles on the tires, so I'm not exactly in the mood to go replacing them quite yet.

About to call my body shop about rolling the fenders.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Buddy,

Skip the fender rolling. I faced the same issue when I originally got my rims and tires. Which is also why I was on the loaner set.

Too much can go wrong with fender rolling. The paint can crack. The bends can destort the fender. And so forth. If I were you, I would skip it.

Your tires in the rear are certainly too wide for the offset of the rim. What is the offset anyhow? I would suggest running 245/35/19 in front and 274/35/19 in the rear. This should provide you will plenty of traction and will certainly help to reduce any understeer. You should be able to dial out the rest of the understeer with an adjustable sway bar setup.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The offset on front is 15 and rear is 20.

I have the sways in my garage :thumbsup:

I thought the tires sounded HUGE for a wheels that's not 10.5" too. Sounds like someone wanted a drag car that couldn't turn.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The "correct" width tires for 8.5" and 9.5" rims are 245 and 275 respectively. 295's are a full 20mm too wide (.787" or around 3/4") which is why they are scraping. Look on the web at what tires usually come with wheel/tires combo's for those wheel sizes and you will see none of them come with 295's. A 295 is more appropriate for 10.5" rims and that would require a different offset and/or modification to the wheel wells/fenders to fit on a Z.

I am not saying that you cannot mount 295's I am just saying they are not optimum for a 9.5" rim. Get 275's and yell at the person who sold you the 295's.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I bought the wheels used with the tires already on there. You're right about them being enormously too wide though. They barely fit on the rim at all.

I'll definitely be getting some 275's then. I just wanted to make sure they would tuck and I wouldn't still have to go through the fender rolling process after buying new tires.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
I'm sure if you bought your new tires from a local shop, you might get credit for the used tires. I have to agree that 275 is the way to go for the rears and 245 for the front. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was probably going to order the tires offline. I don't know what I want to go with yet. I don't want to spend over $500 for a pair...

·
Registered
48 Posts
That trip to atlanta sucked. All that way and we got to ride back w/ 19 upfront and 17s in back. That guys camber was horrible. i've never seen a camber setting that bad on a car before.

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
[/quote]
The tires won't even fit on the car, so at least we won't have to worry about uneven wear. I've already sold them :irock:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts