Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay this is a weird problem. I bought my Z from a dealership that is several hours away from where I live (through a friend who is a salesman). Anyway, after I drove the 5 hours home, I washed my Z and discovered that there was all of what can best be described as silver sparkles on my nice Super Black paint. So I called my friend who told me that the dealership, in a moment of supreme intelligence, had attached to several cars in the lot silver Mylar balloons. These balloon then popped, causing their silver remains to end up on my car. :doh:

Now my buddy told me to get the car detailed and they would pay for it. Now my question is if I choose to do it myself, what kind of solution would be safe for my paint to get the silver stuff off. I would think that some sort of vinegar based solution would work. Or would a clay bar remove this stuff? I have ordered the Zaino wash, but it won't be here for a few days so I can't test the clay bar yet. I guess I want to know if there is something I can use that will take it off safely, if not, then I will have a detailer do it and take the responsibility. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
That is weird.

The clay bar will get it for sure. Vinegar is a remedy for water spots...don't know if that will do much for sparkley surface contaninants. :)

If you have clay bar you can use any diluted solution of car wash soap or a detail spray as a lubricant. If you drop the clay bar toss it.

hth

edit...could these flakes contain ANY metal? If so, best to have a pro take a look or clay bar will cause more problems than it solves. Grab a magnet and see if they come of that way...I know it's silly but I'd want to be damm sure and that's all I can think of right now.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts