Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK..I have read thread after thread and I still do not know exactly what my Z wants. I do know what head unit I want and that I want a 10" sub in the box made by zenclosures...clean fit and looks good. (the one that fits b/w the strut bar and just behind the seats.) I am pretty picky when it comes to sound ie I want good bass not head banging but a good "hit"..... do I really need components in the doors? Would a good pair of after market speakers that do not run off of an amp suffice with a 180 dollar sub? I mean would they sound good at louder settings or would the bass be crackled when trying to keep up with the sub...Secondly, if I had the sub in the rear and components in the doors could they run off of the same amp? What kind....? I plan to put the amp/amps behind the drivers seat.
Basically what would be a good sub/amp/speaker combo for my Z?? Do components make that much difference for the extra money that comes with them? I have the head unit...box...and have taken out the rear speakers....I am looking for suggestions regarding the best bang for your buck with an emphasis on quality. With all that in mind, help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
396 Posts
The first thing that comes to my mind with Audio, is you get what you pay for. Yes there are the exceptions to the rule, and everyone has sales. But generally speaking you get what you pay for. Yes you would want to run amp'd componets for the best sound. They sound cleaner and clearer at all levels. And as for the sub, the higher the power handling capability, the louder you (harder) can push the sub generally, before you start to notice distortion. But you need to pair the amp to the sub of your choosing. You can run both the componets and sub on one amp, depending on your power consumption needs.

~DDFZ :cheers:

·
Registered
756 Posts
as stated with audio u have to pay for the quality, granted there are some that would be a better price for what u get but the differences is due to the fact that the same quality speaker is not made by the other brand. yes u want components, yes u want an amp to run them. budget allowing of course. they would not be "trying to keep up with the sub," a good HU will have a crossover making the speakers only run higher frequencies etc, should be able to be set by the user. for quality i went with some focal components, 2 amps, the HU and filler speakers in the rear. id prefer a sub but for now top of the line focals sound good enough :rolf2:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
as stated with audio u have to pay for the quality, granted there are some that would be a better price for what u get but the differences is due to the fact that the same quality speaker is not made by the other brand. yes u want components, yes u want an amp to run them. budget allowing of course. they would not be "trying to keep up with the sub," a good HU will have a crossover making the speakers only run higher frequencies etc, should be able to be set by the user. for quality i went with some focal components, 2 amps, the HU and filler speakers in the rear. id prefer a sub but for now top of the line focals sound good enough :rolf2:
Thanks....the audio guy I talked to here in San Antonio recommended focal components, but he said I could run them with a JL sub through one amp (behind the drivers seat) and it would all work fine. However another guy told me that I would have to have two amps....and only one would behind the drivers seat. I was also told it was too hot behind the drivers seat to place an amp in there by yet another audio shop. What gives??Help??

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would go with this Zenclosure, an Alpine Type R, and an MTX amp
If you don't want to spend much, I would get Alpine Type S comps, on this Audiobahn amp (which I used to run my 6 x 9s a while ago and it was great), and with or without Alpine Type S coaxials in the rear.

If you are willing to spend more, I would get JL Audio XR, Boston Acoustics Pro60, or Alpine Type X comps on an Elemental Designs amp
First off..thanks so much for the suggestion dkmesa. A suggestion for a setup was what I was looking for while getting a good bang for my buck, but I am not the audio guru. I also like the box suggestion...it is the one i wanted to buy from you =) no biggie. But anyways I will begin online ordering shortly...Plan to do the install myself. But most likely I will need some additional wacky questions answered so stay tuned and thanks for your advice and the links.

LOVE THIS SITE!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts