Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, this isn't for my Z but the Jeep. I have put lots of stereos in cars and I forgot what to do with one wire. I have a black wire left from the stereo wiring harness. The wiring harness that I have to connect it to the Jeeps wires doens't have a black one. I have a brown mute wire left, a orange/white wire for the dimmer and a blue wire for the antenna. I'm not sure what to do with the black wire. I know I need it since it is the ground but I don't ever remember grounding it to the actual car. That seems a little odd. So will someone please enlighten me since I am retarded. Thanks. :yourock:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
jeep radios ground to the chassis.. you need to connect the black wire to the chassis somehow (screw / eyelet)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well then at least I wasn't losing my mind. I didn't think that was right but I guess so. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Jeep, chrysler, dodge, etc.. are all wired this way. They do not have a ground wire in the harness.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I have that fixed. Now it has a new problem. The stereo will turn on, the lights turn on. When I actually turn the system on it loads the cd or looks for a stereo station, but the second it goes to play sound it shuts off. I have to push the rest button and then the lights turn back on but the stereo is off. Any ideas about this one? Thanks.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Does the jeep have a power antenna? it is possible you hooked up the power wire to the power antenna. When a CD is played the power antenna will go down and power turns off.

The only other thing i can think of is a wire touching metal somewhere. Either on the speakers themselves or behind the radio. This would cause the radio to turn itself off to prevent damage.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That was it. I had a speaker wire touching the body. Thanks for saving me again. Where did you learn all this stereo stuff?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts