Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I don't know if anyone will be able to shed any light on how to fix this annoying little problem. I have a mystery rattle. As far as the location it sounds as if it comming from the rear of the car inside on the drivers side. As far as how it sounds the best way I can describe it is a cord that is loose and swinging against a plastic panel of the car???? Is there a specific panel that has given any of you problems? I hope someone can help me out.
Thanks
-jason

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
If it is relatively quite, you might want to check the string underneath the rear strut bar for the inside hatch release. This should be located in the middle underneath the rear strut bar - should be velcroed to the strut bar, I believe.

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts
does it sound like its coming from directly behind you or closer to the hatch latch?

·
Registered
85 Posts
It is very difficult to diagnose where such noises are generated. They seem to bounce around the cabin and pinpointing them is tough. I had a similar noise which drove me crazy. I thought it was coming from the rear strut bar, but my wife in the passenger seat said no, it was coming from the glove box. Turned out it was a loose bolt holding the rear license plate to the car, allowing the plate to vibrate. I tightened it up and the noise went away.....good luck!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey everyone-
First thanks for all of the quick replies! :clap: I checked out the cord for the hatch release. I seemed as if the cord became detatched from the velco. I can't tell if it fixed the problem until I drive it when I get off work, but we will see. As far as where the rattle sounds like it comming from is back in the rear quarter panel/tail light area. The only way I have tried to find the rattle is to tap and shake various panels around the back of the car. Obviously I have less than steller results thus far.....any other ideas of things I could possibly check are greatly appreciated!

-jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I still can't find this **** rattle. It sounds as if something is not closed all the way, like the hatch or something. I of course know the hatch is closed, that is just what the rattle sounds like. I've added some elec. tape to the rubber stoppers on the hatch to snug up the fit, but no luck. ANY ideas of what else I can check is greatly appreciated. I really don't want to have to resort to taking it to the dealer, I might end up with more problems than what I went in with. Thanks again.
-jason

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Jason,

I have the same noise. Don't go to the dealer about it, they'll most likely make matters worse. Either continue the hunt on yourself, or get a few new CD's to play over the noise. The Z is just a loud car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jet-
Thanks for the reply. I take it you did not find the cause of yours? No one else even notices, but to me it's like Chinesse water tourture! I guess I will keep on rattle hunting!
-jason

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
McWhorters- Yeah, that has been checked. The jack and tools have been wrapped in a towel and secured. Listening to it today it sounds alot like the metal part of the seatbelt bumping against plastic, but since the passenger side is secured in the clip by the metal part, and I am wearing mine, this cannot be it. I know someoneout there figured this **** thing out, hopefuuly they will check out this thread.......
-jason

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is the plastics on the rear hatch, would hear it with the stereo all the time then closed my hatch and heard it just a little pulled the plastics turned up the bump it is gone. Now got to put it back and find it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts