Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to bring my suspension up to speed. I dont track my car, so dont feel the need to buy top end coilovers. After alot of research I have narrowed it down to these two. Both have full height adjustment, but no damper adjustment. The spring rates are significantly different between the two. What are you opinions for a daily driver? What is the impact of the different spring rates?

Full Coilover comparison page: http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Part:Coilovers
Tein Basic
* List Price:$890
* Damper Design: Twin tube
* Damper Adjustment: none
* Height Adjustment: continuous
* F Spring Rate: 504 +61%
* R Spring Rate: 504 +43%

Tanabe Sustec Pro S-OC Type 1
* List Price: $1100
* Damper Design: Twin Tube
* Damper Adjustment: none
* Height Adjustment:
- F: +.25,-1.75 in
- R: +0,-1.5
* F Spring Rate: 10kg/mm, 560lb/in
* R Spring Rate: 8kg/mm, 448lb/in
* Notes: Uses helper springs, adjustable rear spring

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
If only I truly knew what all that meant and how to judge what is a good design. I suppose to truly know which one is better is to understand the basic concept of the design function.

What is the twin tube design as compared to something else? And what about spring rates? What's good or bad?

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
It's difficult to compare spring rates in general based on construction and design differneces.

But, I'm running 10/8 kg. And I find it quite fine for street driving. But it has more to do with dampening, than the spring rate imho.

I've never been fond of Tein. I don't understand why you would want the same spring rate front and rear.

Typically, 10/8 is a good comprimise of street and track. There are some guys who just track and want stiff stiff like 15/13...

I have no idea what the OEM spring rate is on the Z33.

You should not compare springs from different companies.. But you can use it as a reference.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe you can get different spring rates from Tein also. So you think the Tanabe quality is good?

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I currently have the Tein Flex on my car and it is a stiff ride. If I could do it all over again I would opt for the Type CS, it is softer than the flex and still compatible with the EDFC.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well the price cut is because it lacks damper adjustment.. their higher end model has damper adjustment and is on par with the tein coilover prices

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
Yeah , I gotcha on the price being b/c of no dampening adj.

I'm saying that if you are going to spend $1000, that's what you are going to get.

You aren't going to see much difference between the basic and the tanabe you posted. Other than the spring rates and construction differences.. Ie: how well they are built and will hold up.

Have you considered where either of these units are rebuilt?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
actually, no that never crossed my mind.. guess that i should check into that also.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
We like the Tenabe sustec pros, they retail in the $1000 range and really give a nice ride and good adjustability. However if money is not a factor, go for the HKS Hypermax's.A true street/track suspension.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
What about Nismo S-tune?

I have been looking at this to upgrade my suspension. Anybody have any opinions about this system in comparison to others mentioned?

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What about Nismo S-tune?

I have been looking at this to upgrade my suspension. Anybody have any opinions about this system in comparison to others mentioned?
I am pretty cranky when it comes to Nismo products. I think they are behind the aftermarket curve. The S-Tune does not allow from height adjustment, and they are not quite low enough for me. You can get more for your money with other companies..

·
Registered
61 Posts
i Have tein type flexs and yes you can get different springs, they cost me $50 each so all in all not too bad. so now i am running a staggered spring rate setup. i love the setup i have now so my vote goes for TEIN with different springs.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts