Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:doh: Wheel lug must have been cross threaded because when i tried to take it off it wouldnt budge and finally snape4d off! How can i replace it? Is this something i can do? Or do i need to take it to the dealer?

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
Oh goodness. My roommate did the same thing.

I'm not sure how to fix it, but I hope it works out for you man. That really sucks.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
Killa. Unless the Z is designed REALLY weird .. replacing a wheel stud is easy. The stud is like a big bolt .... uder the 'head' .. the 'neck' has splines. These fit splines in the hole. You basically hammer out the old stud and insert a new one and 'pull' it in. The only real problem is .. depending on the car .. if you have room to get the stud out. Sometimes there is actually a 'cut-out' that you can rotate the hub to in order to remove the stud. Worse case is you have to pull the hub. Think about it .. basically a big flange with holes drilled in it and then splined. Also .. if you are leary of 'tapping' the stud in .. you can use a couple of nuts to 'pull' it in ..

Couple resources I found :

replace stud 1
replace stud 2

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im going to give it a shot.. So in the end we are either going to have a new How-To Tutorial , or a How-Not-To-Do Tutorial :)

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
im going to give it a shot.. So in the end we are either going to have a new How-To Tutorial , or a How-Not-To-Do Tutorial :)
:rolf2: Take lots of before and after pics. I'm curious as to what the damage looks like. :poke:

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
not good so far.. looks like the hub has to come off:

[attachmentid=11987]

i need a bigger socket and maybe a gear puller:

[attachmentid=11988]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Killa. Unless the Z is designed REALLY weird .. replacing a wheel stud is easy. The stud is like a big bolt .... uder the 'head' .. the 'neck' has splines. These fit splines in the hole. You basically hammer out the old stud and insert a new one and 'pull' it in. The only real problem is .. depending on the car .. if you have room to get the stud out. Sometimes there is actually a 'cut-out' that you can rotate the hub to in order to remove the stud. Worse case is you have to pull the hub. Think about it .. basically a big flange with holes drilled in it and then splined. Also .. if you are leary of 'tapping' the stud in .. you can use a couple of nuts to 'pull' it in ..
What he said....done a few Chevys, not sure about the Z, but would expect similar. Take care not to 'mushroom' the stud beating it out....here's where an air hammer & a round 'chisel' come in handy. If the hub has to come off, you can use a press to press the old stud out & the new in. Simple, yes, but simple ain't always 'easy' :banghead: ....but I'm sure you can get 'er done. :cheers:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/nismo/bolts/

They are press fit, by the pic.

·
Registered
798 Posts
goodluck in fixing it josh

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
got it fixed! :cheers:

will have a step by step writeup sometime soon.. wasnt all that bad!

·
Registered
222 Posts
been there and done that man cost me $85 bucks.. at the dealer because of the labor involved in getting the lug nut off the stud was broken but the lug nut wouldnt come off.

·
Premium Member
3,861 Posts
It is an easy fix, just like hammering a nail out of a piece of wood.
Getting the stud out/in was the easy part. The hard part was that the E-brake blocked the stud from removing. Turned out that the fix was easy .. he managed to move the E-brake out of the way. It is (once you figure out the way around the probs) pretty easy fix and a for-sure DIY.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Now that you've fixed it, why did it fail in the first place? Reason I ask is that the Isuzu Trooper and Rodeo trucks have always been plagued by failing studs. The reason for those is poor match between the materials in the studs and lug nuts so that they seize when spun by an air wrench. This can happen going on or going off, and the typical event is that the nut goes on but is already seized when you go to take it off. Have other owners experienced this problem with their Z cars?

I still have my Isuzu Rodeo and make sure no shops use an air wrench on the wheels. Most of them already know not to, but some need a hint.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The lug nut was cross threaded onto the stud, so it would not come off. I forced it and the stup sheared in half.

·
Registered
3 Posts
:cheers: glad you got it fixed! :yourock:

I also need to replace a stud in my rear wheel. How did you get the parking brake out of the way? Can you elaborate on the instructions? I've read that you their's a cut out in the dust shield so you actually don't have to remove the hub/rotor/caliper to hammer it out but it seems like the parking brake gets in the way. Any help would be great. Step-by-step instructions would be excellent :p

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
there are 2 spring/screws you can remove, and then push the parking brake over to 1 side enough to hammer the studs out. Pretty easy actually

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
:banghead: :ahhh: :banghead: :F-you: :nunchuk: :doh:

DAMMIT

Hubby sheared off a wheel stud yesterday when we were puttin the Volks back on for the spring/summer/fall :doh: :doh: :doh: Stupid thing would not budge w/ the air gun and he decided to "get the bitch bar out"..........This is why he should not help me work on the car...... :db: Keep your bitch bars on the construction site....BITCH :F-you:

:db: to hubby, nice work.........dammit.......trip to nissan today for replacement stud :ahhh:

Josh and Ray Is there a how to in the wiki? :ahhh:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts