Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I recently got a set of forged rims for my 350z, but the offset is bigger than which of the factory rim and they touch my brakes calipers. I need to install 15mm or 20mm wheel spacers to provide more space. Do you guys have any recommendations? What do you think the product of BONOSS performs?

·
Super Moderator
1,736 Posts
Before you start examining the quality of spacers, you should consider the effect of using such large spacers on your Z. They increase the axial loads on wheel bearings. and the scrub radius of your tires. Why not just sell these wheels and get ones with the correct offset?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hi all, I recently got a set of forged rims for my 350z, but the offset is bigger than which of the factory rim and they touch my brakes calipers. I need to install 15mm or 20mm wheel spacers to provide more space. Do you guys have any recommendations? What do you think the product of BONOSS performs?
Before you start examining the quality of spacers, you should consider the effect of using such large spacers on your Z. They increase the axial loads on wheel bearings. and the scrub radius of your tires. Why not just sell these wheels and get ones with the correct offset?
OK, OP, dkmura agree more than we disagree on most things Z but here's my perspective...

He's right regarding increased axial loads and altered scrub. BUT.... that applies MORE for a wheel with too huge or two small of an offset. Here's the thing, if you are only bringing the wheels back in line with "normal specs", say from an 18x8.5 +40 back to 18x8.5 +20 (just an example mind you), this is OK to do with spacers. Think of this as "correcting the offset" by using a wheel with much thicker/wider mounting face; in this case, the spacer becomes that wider mounting face. The net result is where the wheel should have been if you went out and re-bought wheels with the correct offset. At a slight weight penalty but not enough to completely screw up your steering response.

I was an opponent of spacers most of my life until I picked up that first set of aftermarket wheels for my existing Z. They had +29 offset rear and weren't where I wanted them so gave a 15mm spacer a shot. Fast forward to now... I don't think I've owned a set of wheels for this car (over two dozen sets) that I didn't use a spacer on and have never had any issues with them. Of course, I went through a phase of swapping wheels every couple of months and made it a practice to re-torque and lube the studs each time I did it (or installing a different set of spacers per the wheel set being installed) so never had any on long enough for them to give me problems. Laff...

Can't tell you anything about BONOSS spacers, sorry, never used 'em. The ones I own or have used in the past all (but one) came from a place in Fremont, CA called Premier Auto ACC on EBay ( Premier Auto ACC | eBay Stores ) Have purchase at least a dozen or more sets and have been OK with all of them. All this business does are spacers, I believe.

Reactions: dkmura
1 - 3 of 3 Posts