Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have an 05 Z AT. Everything in the car is stock. I noticed recently that the shift from 2-3 feels a bit "heavy" if that makes any sense. As compared to a "normal" shift, when the drop in rpm is smoother and relatively stable, this shift seems a bit more abrupt in nature (the "drop" in rpm during the shift isn't as smooth). It almost seems like it is a little bit harder for the tranny to shift. I hope that this analysis sounds sensible; I have never had or heard of this problem before. Any advice or commentary would be appreciated. My guess is tranny fluid, but that's just based on my moderate automotive knowledge.

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I can't believe I am going to type this....but, when I installed the six wire grounding kit on my 5AT...I noticed a difference in how the tranny shifted. Normally I would say save your money with regards to a grounding kit....but for the 5AT there seems to be an actual benefit.

(I think it's six wires for the 5AT...I know it's one more wire than the 6SP kit)

How many miles on your Z?

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have about 7500 miles on the Z right now. Can you give me more information regarding the grounding kit? What does this set up provide? How does it improve upon the normal system? Cost?

Any comments on what might be causing this slower shifting sensation?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
I have about 7500 miles on the Z right now. Can you give me more information regarding the grounding kit? What does this set up provide? How does it improve upon the normal system? Cost?

Any comments on what might be causing this slower shifting sensation?
clicky

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, the are viscious on the "other" site! Thanks for the help KShep...would you recommend a grounding kit upgrade? Has anyone else done this and noticed an improvement in the way a 5AT shifts/idles?

Anyone know what the cost of this would be?

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
....I see you noticed that the other site is somewhat less civil. :)

The cost is minimal for the part...mine was $50-60 a few years ago. I have no idea what they cost to install but it can't be too much. part can be found on ebay

I'll see if I can direct a few other 5AT owners to this thread for some additional info... :cheers:

·
Registered
36,128 Posts
I can't believe I am going to type this....but, when I installed the six wire grounding kit on my 5AT...I noticed a difference in how the tranny shifted. Normally I would say save your money with regards to a grounding kit....but for the 5AT there seems to be an actual benefit.

(I think it's six wires for the 5AT...I know it's one more wire than the 6SP kit)

How many miles on your Z?
I got the same result Kenny, I have the 6 wire as well. 2003 5At 24K miles, install at 4K miles.

....I see you noticed that the other site is somewhat less civil. :)

The cost is minimal for the part...mine was $50-60 a few years ago. I have no idea what they cost to install but it can't be too much. part can be found on ebay

I'll see if I can direct a few other 5AT owners to this thread for some additional info... :cheers:
Shouldn't be more than $100. Courtesy www.courtesyparts.com has some nice mylar coated ones that I like :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
I have a 6MT, I have noticed a smoother Idle.....but it doesn't do anything for my shifting :headshake: :rolf2:

I have a 5 wire kit from MaxGround, got it at courtesy. Install is easy and the product looks good too.

You can get colors under the silver braid to enhance the look under the hood.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
I've got the 5AT as well, never really noticed what you are describing, but I also have the 7 wire grounding kit (seems since about the time I got the car) From what I can gather - if it doesn't hurt it's gotta help "somehow".

Grounding kit it definately a DIY kinda thing - best of luck to you & :welcome:

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't own a grounding kit, so obviously I can't say 100% one way or the other. Alls I knows is whats I knows... and that is that is a ground is a ground is a ground. Either a harness or circuit is grounded, or it isn't. It can be poorly grounded but that means it will not work. No in-between. So we still have grounded, or not grounded.

Thus, if a grounding kit had any impact then it would mean that the OEM grounding was poor. First thing I say to that is...not! There's no way Nissan's Quality Engineers would allow that because of all the inherent electrical dangers of using poor grounds.

And even if their Quality Engineers let it slip for all these years then we would be hearing things in the news and certainly on the forums of owners actually having real electrical problems due to poor grounding. Because after all, if ALL of the cars you build have poor grounding then certainly some will be worse than others. And those cases would surface quickly.

But they don't. Because the grounding is fine.

And I will continue to believe the grounding in these cars is fine until someone shows me empirical, back-to-back evidence of a grounding kit showing any kind of improvement in a car's electrical system.

It's a cheap investment for pretty but do not expect it to cure problems.

Instead, if you think your tranny is behaving oddly...take it to a mechanic! Take it to the dealer. Take it to someone you trust. But don't use wizardry and hyped-up, unproven gimmickery as an excuse to avoid getting a real diagnosis.

Maybe nothing is wrong at all. Maybe your tranny is just breaking in a little more. Maybe you need a fluid change. Maybe the valve-guides are off. There's a ton of reasons why your transmission can start shifting differently.

And the grounding of the electrical system is probably the most overly complex diagnosis I've ever heard to a tranny problem. Not saying that others have not had a good experience, because it is their experience. How much of the impact is imagined and how much is actual is undetermined.

Still...keep it simple.. it is MUCH more likely that your problems (if any) are IN THE TRANNY and not somewhere between the electrical harness and the tranny.

Just my 0.02. Would hate for you to ignore a mechanical nuisance growing into a potentially serious and costly menace.

Cheers,
-Smoky

·
Registered
360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Definitely a good point Smoky. Having the transmission fluid changed/checked was another option that I considered (after looking into the problem further). I will check back here once I go in for the 3rd oil change and have them do routine maintainence. Any other suggestions as to whether grounding is a valid option, or in regards to other things to look for, are always welcome. This site has proven to be a good help for both my trivial and somewhat substantial Z inquiries. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't own a grounding kit, so obviously I can't say 100% one way or the other. Alls I knows is whats I knows... and that is that is a ground is a ground is a ground. Either a harness or circuit is grounded, or it isn't. It can be poorly grounded but that means it will not work. No in-between. So we still have grounded, or not grounded.

Thus, if a grounding kit had any impact then it would mean that the OEM grounding was poor. First thing I say to that is...not! There's no way Nissan's Quality Engineers would allow that because of all the inherent electrical dangers of using poor grounds.

And even if their Quality Engineers let it slip for all these years then we would be hearing things in the news and certainly on the forums of owners actually having real electrical problems due to poor grounding. Because after all, if ALL of the cars you build have poor grounding then certainly some will be worse than others. And those cases would surface quickly.

But they don't. Because the grounding is fine.

And I will continue to believe the grounding in these cars is fine until someone shows me empirical, back-to-back evidence of a grounding kit showing any kind of improvement in a car's electrical system.

It's a cheap investment for pretty but do not expect it to cure problems.

Instead, if you think your tranny is behaving oddly...take it to a mechanic! Take it to the dealer. Take it to someone you trust. But don't use wizardry and hyped-up, unproven gimmickery as an excuse to avoid getting a real diagnosis.

Maybe nothing is wrong at all. Maybe your tranny is just breaking in a little more. Maybe you need a fluid change. Maybe the valve-guides are off. There's a ton of reasons why your transmission can start shifting differently.

And the grounding of the electrical system is probably the most overly complex diagnosis I've ever heard to a tranny problem. Not saying that others have not had a good experience, because it is their experience. How much of the impact is imagined and how much is actual is undetermined.

Still...keep it simple.. it is MUCH more likely that your problems (if any) are IN THE TRANNY and not somewhere between the electrical harness and the tranny.

Just my 0.02. Would hate for you to ignore a mechanical nuisance growing into a potentially serious and costly menace.

Cheers,
-Smoky
:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
12,469 Posts
Definitely a good point Smoky. Having the transmission fluid changed/checked was another option that I considered (after looking into the problem further). I will check back here once I go in for the 3rd oil change and have them do routine maintainence. Any other suggestions as to whether grounding is a valid option, or in regards to other things to look for, are always welcome. This site has proven to be a good help for both my trivial and somewhat substantial Z inquiries. Thanks to all!
If you decide to change the fluid ask the parts guy if you can buy the fluid by the gallon...much cheaper that way.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts