Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
We estimated I eat 25 carbs/day.
That's with me losing weight nice and slow. :)
So -- when I near my ideal weight, we'll see what my maintenance level is!
And I'm not getting nearly enough exercise in right now -- so that will increase as I start burning more!!!

·
Registered
312 Posts
You should be carefull about low carb diets. I'm sure they make you loose wieght. I'm not sure if there are any long term studies about it, but I have a relative who is a doctor and he seems to think it may do more harm than good. I'm sure there are doctors who think there is nothing wrong with it too. I can't imagine starving your body of one type of energy is good.

I personaly don't diet, I eat what my body tells me I'm hungry for. I'm 5'11'' and 180, I have a small gut nothing extreme, but that happened in my early 20s and late teens because of drinking way to much beer. My weight and fat has stayed relatively constant since I stopped that. It probably helps that I drink very little soda also. I do drink about a half gallon of apple juice a day, though. Been thinking about trying more water, but thats boring.

I'm on the road during the day so I eat a fair amount of fast food. I try not to always get burgers though, I'll get Subway or gas station crap for variety. My personal opinion is if you have a variety of foods and don't focus on one type or diet is probably best for your body. I know everyone wants to have the perfect figure, but everyone's body is not the same. Some people may be more healthy with a few extra, as long as its not going to far out of hand.

Just my two cents.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
You should be carefull about low carb diets. I'm sure they make you loose wieght. I'm not sure if there are any long term studies about it, but I have a relative who is a doctor and he seems to think it may do more harm than good. I'm sure there are doctors who think there is nothing wrong with it too. I can't imagine starving your body of one type of energy is good.
Again, that is not the point. This is not a carbohydrate restricted diet. It is merely a way of eating wherein you eat ONLY the carbohydrates you need for fuel. You aren't consuming carbohydrates that will be stored as fat.

You need to find the level of carbohydrates that allows you to exercise and USE them not STORE them. That level is different for everyone and requires a good amount of work to determine the level. It changes based upon the amount of exercise you do.

Don't get me wrong. I am not suggesting one doesn't eat carbohydrates. I am suggesting that carbohydrates are the fuel most abused and the reason for fat people.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
There have been numerous studies done on people with bariatric surgeries (there are a bunch)...and do you know what those doctors put their patients on for life?

A high protein / low carb diet. FOR LIFE!

So -- there is a very large group of medical professionals out there that will swear by it. And, they tell you to change your eating habits before surgery to a VERY low carb diet.

I think Surf and I know what we're doing. :)

We're safe, smart, eat when we're hungry -- just eat the right kind of things.
I am in no way starving myself of good carbs -- I eat lettuce every day. I eat a veggie with dinner every night. **** -- I eat PEANUT BUTTER every day of my life! YUM!!!

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
yep. sounds good. BTW there is a better tasting tortilla made by the Santa Fe Tortilla Comapny called the Carb Chopper at Albertsons...4 grams net carb and 70 calories. It tastes like a normal tortilla...I prefer it to Mission.

I find the mission ones DELICIOUS -- like "normal"! They recently came out with a more fibre based low carb one -- that one I'm not keen on.
We'll have to find an Albertsons and check into that brand -- you rock Dan!

I like the Mission ones but they have more carbs....I think their like 9 grams.
To all the comments above, I have always found it amusing that people are so anal about counting and measuring. I understand it, but I don't subscribe to it.

My taste buds couldn't tell the difference between one brand or another. To me, bread is bread and PB is PB. I'll eat it because I grew up eating whatever I could get my hands on.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My taste buds couldn't tell the difference between one brand or another. To me, bread is bread and PB is PB. I'll eat it because I grew up eating whatever I could get my hands on.
You don't need to. you obviously consume the appropriate amount of carbohydrates your body needs as witnessed by you being in good shape. A lot of folk however, are way overweight and they don't know why because no one has told them how to eat properly. It isn't necessarily the amount one eats as much as what one eats. Excess carbohydrates put on weight. Excess proteins and fat do not.

Low fat is a code word for "more sugar to make it taste good". Fat is not the devil, too many carbs are. This view of our diet is killing folk. Carbohydrates are cheap and raise profits for fast food purveyors but our bodies are not designed to consume them in the quantities we do.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am one of those people who have the reverse weight problem. I simply cannot gain weight. I lifted weights heavily in High School and College, but never really gained an appreciable mass of muscle no matter how much protein I shoved down- only managed to tone up. My body has maintained a steady weight of 150 pounds (six feet tall) for the last 8 years. Most people hear this from me and make crying faces-"How sad, I am so sorry you can't gain any weight you skinny *******". This can actually be a problem for me when I get more than mildly ill though. Stomach Flu? I start looking like a Holocaust survivor.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I am one of those people who have the reverse weight problem. I simply cannot gain weight. I lifted weights heavily in High School and College, but never really gained an appreciable mass of muscle no matter how much protein I shoved down- only managed to tone up. My body has maintained a steady weight of 150 pounds (six feet tall) for the last 8 years. Most people hear this from me and make crying faces-"How sad, I am so sorry you can't gain any weight you skinny *******". This can actually be a problem for me when I get more than mildly ill though. Stomach Flu? I start looking like a Holocaust survivor.
pasta...lots of it just before you work out.

Breakfast....french toast four slices. chicken breast grilled no oil. 4 egg omelet using the whites only and cheese. ;)

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I've tried that in college, plus protein shakes on top of that.....seriously, I gained five pounds in 1 month and lost it a week later when I changed up my weight routine. Thanks for the suggestion though. Thing is, I have no fat reserves to fall back on, so when my overactive metabolism kicks in (which is all the time), it starts canibalising muscle. Fun stuff..that. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Low fat is a code word for "more sugar to make it taste good". Fat is not the devil, too many carbs are. This view of our diet is killing folk. Carbohydrates are cheap and raise profits for fast food purveyors but our bodies are not designed to consume them in the quantities we do.
I hear you.

:lol: I read an article once that stated skinny people with little body fat will suffer harder during extreme weather changes and during famines and droughts. Plan on being in that scenario soon?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I hear you.

:lol: I read an article once that stated skinny people with little body fat will suffer harder during extreme weather changes and during famines and droughts. Plan on being in that scenario soon?
If all of those things happen at once, I am locking up the Z, getting a shotgun and a sniper rifle, and sitting on a roof in hazard gear. Anybody with pockets full of posie gets too close......well, not for long. :OMG:

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts

But we can eat what we want and do not gain weight! I'm 5'9-135.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
hey cliff long time no talk. 5'9" 135? jeez. grab a sandwich ;)

j/k

How ya doing? Make it a dough nut,drive that cholesterol off the scales!

Had my yearly check up last month,cholesterol was 196! :clap:

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
How ya doing? Make it a dough nut,drive that cholesterol off the scales!
Had my yearly check up last month,cholesterol was 196! :clap:
the good or bad cholesterol? 196 still has me a bit worried.

·
Premium Member
3,584 Posts
Oh and by the way...NO EFFING SUGAR...it is the devil. :)

SALT is the DEVIL! I'll use it on eggs,grits,or a tuna fish sandwich. Other than that , I do not use it. Every one should avoid SALT like a dark alley!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts