Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I subscribe to the "eat only as many carbs as your body can burn" and the "no sugar ever" theory. It is an eating plan along the lines of Atkins or Sugar Busters or South Beach. It has been successful for me (along with daily exercise).

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
Thai food FTW! I grew up on it. I don't know if it's genetics or what, but I feel fit and healthy and don't look my age. I attribute that to being active and eating smart (most of the time). Thai food is way healthier than Chinese.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thai food FTW! I grew up on it. I don't know if it's genetics or what, but I feel fit and healthy and don't look my age. I attribute that to being active and eating smart (most of the time). Thai food is way healthier than Chinese.
As boring as it is I pretty much eat red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and green vegetables. Very little bread, pasta, rice, beans, etc.

·
Premium Member
35,304 Posts
As boring as it is I pretty much eat red meat, chicken, fish, eggs, cheese and green vegetables. Very little bread, pasta, rice, beans, etc.
I can understand that. But beans? I could do w/o bread but not pasta or rice. I eat most meats and veggies. Stir fry FTW!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I eat ALOT of pasta...I thought its fine to do?
Well it is if your metabolism can burn the sugar carbs from the pasta. The problem is eating more pasta (carbs) than your body can burn. In that instance your body releases insulin to deal with the sugars and stores the excess carbs as fat. Contrary to popular belief eating fat doesn't make you fat, eating too many carbs makes you fat. You can eat all the fat you want and not get fat as long as you're not eating too many carbs. The amount of carbs you can burn measured in grams is your "critical carb level". Eat more than that and you'll put on weight.

You can eat all the protein and fat you want. Your body cannot turn them into stored fat unless you also eat too many carbohydrates (sugars). Find your critical carb level and stay below it and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
I subscribe to the Atkins philosophy as well. As you saw in the member thread, it works. :)

I should probably count up how many carbs I am eating...

A typical day is...

Breakfast:
Mission Brand, low carb tortilla -- slapped on a dry griddle to make it crispy.
Apply Simply Jif Peanut Butter, cut like a pie. Eat.
Water, Rx, B Complex, Calcium

Lunch:
Meat/cheese/lettuce in some fashion OR Cesar salad, no yummy crispy bread pieces -- sub slivered almonds
Cottage cheese
Water / Crystal Light / flavored Seltzer water
Multi-vitamiin

Dinner:
Lean Meat
Cooked veggie (we like a lot of variety, we have been cooking up a storm!)
Calcium
Water

Snack:
various unsalted nuts (usually at work)
sugar free jell-o for something sweet OR NSA popsicle

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I subscribe to the Atkins philosophy as well. As you saw in the member thread, it works. :)

I should probably count up how many carbs I am eating...

A typical day is...

Breakfast:
Mission Brand, low carb tortilla -- slapped on a dry griddle to make it crispy.
Apply Simply Jif Peanut Butter, cut like a pie. Eat.
Water, Rx, B Complex, Calcium
Lunch:
Meat/cheese/lettuce in some fashion OR Cesar salad, no yummy crispy bread pieces -- sub slivered almonds
Cottage cheese
Water / Crystal Light / flavored Seltzer water
Multi-vitamiin

Dinner:
Lean Meat
Cooked veggie (we like a lot of variety, we have been cooking up a storm!)
Calcium
Water

Snack:
various unsalted nuts (usually at work)
sugar free jell-o for something sweet OR NSA popsicle
yep. sounds good. BTW there is a better tasting tortilla made by the Santa Fe Tortilla Comapny called the Carb Chopper at Albertsons...4 grams net carb and 70 calories. It tastes like a normal tortilla...I prefer it to Mission.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
yep. sounds good. BTW there is a better tasting tortilla made by the Santa Fe Tortilla Comapny called the Carb Chopper at Albertsons...4 grams net carb and 70 calories. It tastes like a normal tortilla...I prefer it to Mission.

I find the mission ones DELICIOUS -- like "normal"! They recently came out with a more fibre based low carb one -- that one I'm not keen on.
We'll have to find an Albertsons and check into that brand -- you rock Dan!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I find the mission ones DELICIOUS -- like "normal"! They recently came out with a more fibre based low carb one -- that one I'm not keen on.
We'll have to find an Albertsons and check into that brand -- you rock Dan!
I like the Mission ones but they have more carbs....I think their like 9 grams.

·
Registered
8,295 Posts
nope. these are the "ugliest dog winners", which is a yearly contest. The one in my new avatar took over for the first winner who recently died. Sam was a pretty gnarly dog but a love I'm sure.

frankly, a dog after my own heart.
My new avatar is the recent winner. :)

How disturbing for the healthy eating thread.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How disturbing for the healthy eating thread.
In what way....I was just clarifying the avatar...we're still discussing what to eat for the most part. My bad...I derailed the thread for a few posts....but really again....your body will break down carbohydrates into sugar that your pancreas will have to create and release insulin to deal with. Diabetes is the direct result of folk eating carbohydrates at a level that it can't deal with. It shuts down. It is hard to eat a diet that doesn't include all the carbs one wants because those sugars are the things we're used to eating and briefly offer that "Ahhhh" feeling. But you're right...I need to take out those posts that would tick off people who like things to stay on track. (if it's all right with the cave bear.)

1 - 20 of 48 Posts