Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was planning to get a pioneer headunit (single din) to replace the stock bose system when I heard someone mentioned that I would need an adaptor to fit the aftermarket one due to the original bose kit, is that true?

Coz my friend said it would cost about 500 just to fit the headunit together with the adaptor, and that's a little too expensive IMO.

Also, how many amps does the original systme have?

Thanks heaps in advance.

James

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
just had my stereo done, and there wasnt a need for any adapter

im assuming you're getting a pro installer to fit the stereo, he'll work it out

re stock system, there is an amp for the sub behind the sub grille, and another amp for the speakers in the boot

what you will need is a dash trim kit for the single din deck. There are a couple options, Metra and American International, an installer will be able to order them in or you can buy them online. I got my Metra off ebay

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your quick reply TPIACE

oh so there's already two amps?! I am going to use my friend's 4 channel amp as well.. is there a recommended setup for this? I will also be putting in 4 AVI 6.5" speakers.

Just thinking of a way to utilise the stock amps as well....

How much was your dash trim kit?

James

·
Registered
121 Posts
dash kits are between $30 - $60 depends where you get one

i also got mine off ebay

mine what uhhh best kits from memory

i payed heaps for mine but i dont care it looks good

if your upgrading the head unit,
just get that installed and see how your speakers sound, if you are not planning a big stereo install then i wouldnt worry with speakers and amps...

then you have to worry about getting the right combo , then once thats done you will have to worry about placement of components.. it will get really messy with a budget system,
just try upgrading the HU and you will have a noticable differance, your stock speakers will be driven harder, and have a better signal from a aftermarker HU,
just try it... its cheaper and im telling you it will sound good.
dont mess around with amps and speakers unless you are spending at least $2500 min..... that will cover Head unit amp and new front speakers...
then when you start talking subs and sound deadening............... it will add up

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you advice!

The reason why I am changing the speaks is that I already have a set of 4 speakers and 2 tweeter from my old system (worth about $1000), and its just sitting in my room, so might as well put them into the car. Oh and coz my friend gave me his sony 4 channel amp.
So all I need is the headunit (planning to get the pioneer DEH-P8650MP) and the install…

·
Registered
121 Posts
just incase you wanted more advise

why dont you try the head unit first??

if its a sony amp, no offence but it will be pretty crap, sony stuff is one of the worst car audio products you can buy..

why dont you sell your speakers on ebay and put that money to the new head unit ??

this way will be the most hassle free and sound better than if your using the sony amp....
what speakers do you have sitting in your room?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The speakers are 6.5 AVI speakers. Not a well known brand though... I went back to the place where I got the speakers and he said 550 for the speakers install, 300 for sound deadening for front door, and another couple hundred for the amp install...

Seems to be quite a lot more then what I was expecting.

·
Registered
6,259 Posts
$550 for the speaker install and a couple hundred for the amp install seem a bit high to me. i would check else where

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm no pro installer, but the how-to's here make doing it yourself easy. You can buy the metra kit at electronics store (I got mine from crutchfield). Swapping the speakers and headunit is very easy.

More complicated is the amp as you have to run new wires, and have to run power from the battery into the car, but it's doable. I did all my own stuff and saved loads of $$. Plus, now I know my car a lot better than before.

Metra kit for head unit ($20 US)
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lCN4SHx18r4/c...750&I=120997402

If you don't want to cut head unit wires when you replace the stock ones:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-lCN4SHx18r4/c...750&I=120707550

I put the subwoofer in an custom made box under the strut bar, and put the new amp in the location where the stock sub sits.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
Does anyone know if a single DIN head unit will fit in to the cubby hole where the SatNav on the overseas model goes?

I want to do a stealth install, and leave the factory head unit in its place (just disconnected).

·
Registered
5,719 Posts
****. I was really hoping to mount it in there.

Oh well - looks like I'm still tossing up between getting a hole-filling Kenwood DDX7045 DVD and something that will support the Pioneer AVG-VDP1

1 - 14 of 14 Posts