Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
are you sure it is on the outside? Mine fogs with the halogens at certain temps but not on the outside.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes its for sure on the outside, when i get it wet.. it looks perfectly clear, then 5 seconds later it dries then its all foggy looking again wtf?

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hmm. Sounds like they have been etched by something harsh. Perhaps acid rain. I would try a few layers of Meguires NXT wax. Mine look great with it on them. Other than that I would try some sort of polish so long as it is not too abrasive. You could also try vinegar to make certain that it is not hard water deposit/build-up.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Good ideas. I too have this issue. It looks like a chemical burn almost. At first I worried that it might be the products that I am using, but I have since verified that it is not. I will try the vinegar followed by some nice wax. If that does not work, I am going to turn to more aggressive polishing. I think Eastwood offers a kit for polishing plastic/polycarbonate.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
i ahve small rock dings and chips.. i will try some wet sanding this week and let you know the results..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
**** yea, some good ideas there thanks guys, also do you think the dealer would cover this under anytype of warranty? i am guessing not, but that would kick ass if so..:)

·
Premium Member
17,697 Posts
I doubt the dealer would cover it.

I have the same issue too. Seems like a light film over the headlight plastic.

Try Meguire's Plasic-X. Should get it right out.

Any abrassive polish should do the trick though. Then go over that with some NXT or your choice of wax.

·
Registered
620 Posts
I think StuddyBuddy is on to something...

I had this same issue along with a couple of other folks in Norcal I have talked to. I was washing the car and was like "did I spill something on here?" as it sort of looked like it was from liquid or something. We think it may be caused by the glue that holds the protective film on the headlights during shipping.

Whatever it was, detail spray had no effect and ended up using Maguires Scratch X polish and it came right out and the headlight looks new again.

Chris

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok, so do i need to use a buffer with it? or just do it by hand? also would my local checker/autozone carry that stuff?

·
Registered
3,881 Posts
so I washed the Z this weekend and experienced this Fog on the outside.

What I found was it was the car wash detergent leaving some type of film on it. I got some dish detergent, wiped down the lens, rince, dried immidiately and whiz bang - nice n clean, no fog. I used the car was detergent again and was able to replicate it.

I SB has the right idea, I am gonna give it a try.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts