Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question

It's always been said that equal length tubing on headers is desired if you want to get the most out of them.

Looking at the pics on the forum i see quite a few that meet this requirement.

DC Sports
Nismo
Stillen

the others either its difficult to tell from the picture or its obvious that they did not consider this at all.

of course anything is better than stock.

To bad this isn't like toms hardware.com when they do a 20 motherboard shootout and benchmark eveything, man that would be great.

any feed back on this.

any opinions.

people are claiming that not much power can be had from headers, but it's hard to believe when looking at a stock one compared to a good aftermarket part.

only reason i'm loking into this is because I am not going to replace the stock cats.

and if the cats are restrictive anyway i was wondering if headers will make any difference at all.

any feed back much appreciated.

my mods are drop in K&N, and on order are, motordyne plenum(only because i want the stock look) and a y-pipe.

I'm keeping the stock muffler.

headers are my next option.

after this i'm considering hotchkis TVS kit and an alignment. and since i have a base, a LSD and final gear mod.

all of these will be in the future.

cams will be on hold till i figure out what i want to do with that, but i have enough to keep me busy for now.

feed back on headers please.

likes and dislikes, and I don't care if there is a header war in this thread I WANT TO HEAR WHAT EVERYONE HAS TO SAY!!

thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
headers make descent power on the Z. Same scale as every other mod though.

I've got Strup headers. The time was right and they produced descent power. I was one of the first to have a set dyno'd on the Z33.

I believe they made 14hp and 13ft lb (at the wheels) Hard to distinguish from all the dyno sheets. One interesting thing to note, is I already had the ARC exhaust and air filter.. So factor maybe a few more ponies on an otherwise stock car.

If I were ever to replace them.. It would only be for a nice Titanium set.

The nice thing is most aftermarket headers are less weight than stock and make more power.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
that was you're 1800 post.
For some reason I knew you would post first.
and by the way those te37's that i ordered are bronze. I'm not going to put tires on them till my stockers are bald LOL

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
that was you're 1800 post.
For some reason I knew you would post first.
and by the way those te37's that i ordered are bronze. I'm not going to put tires on them till my stockers are bald LOL

:) I hope you don't mind me replying.

Bronze, eh? I was going with bronze, but they were out of stock at the time. Enter> Ti. Gm :wink:

<EDIT>
I would like to add, that with tuning (Techtom/ Technosquare ECU writing) they made an addional 4hp & 6 ft.lb of torque (at the wheels) So that's a total of 18 and 19 respectively

·
Registered
7,569 Posts
The only ones that I know of that are for sure both Long Tube & Equal Length are the Crawford Headers.
Cost a little more than most, due to the fact that they are custom bent.
The will also allow you to either:
A. Keep your stock cats
B. Replace with Hi-Flow's
or
C. Replace with Test Pipes

Although I have not "seen" an increase in hp I have noticed a LARGE gain under the curve.
With my current mods I'm running a flat line instead of a progressive curve.
Doesn't sound like much until you get behind the wheel. :goodtimes: :shiftdrive:

http://www.crawfordzcar.com/

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
will do! dyno guy is only 12 miles away.
one of these days we will have a nice database with known hp gains with different setups.
You know from the pics it looks like the veilside(2g's wow), power enterprise, evo r, and jic magic do no use equal size tubing, but they are expensive. But then the DC sports looks like a knock off of the nismo part, infact they look identical. My experience with DC sports so far on my other cars definitly felt the gain. I'm hoping for a header shoot out in one of the magazines.

By the way i did fell a difference with the [email protected] drop in, but not right away. A quick ride on the freeway(about 3 miles) and then driving around town I finally noticed it. But then I got used to it real quick. Feel it more on the midrange. not bad though got it of ebay for 28.00 and 7.00 shipped so like 35.00 for a drop in. The best part was that swapping it out was like cleaning the lint trap out of you're clothes dryer. I highly reccomend this especially for those going FI and don't want to spend the extra cash on a cold air intake since a FI kit usually comes with one anyway.
Thanks for the feed back guys.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey toykilla here are some websites for new low cost parts for the z.

http://www.t-pros.net
and
http://www.meganracing.com/
this is the stuff on ebay everyone is talking about

I really thought that they were the same thing but it turns out they are 2 separate companies.
I'm real skeptical about the t-pros even though when youcompare pics of a t-pros y pipe next to the megan one they look identical.

I ordered the megan y pipe it looks like a good y-pipe to me. the bends look good and everything. When I get it i'll fill in the info on it.
Its hard to go wrong on a y pipe it seems, looks like i'm going to find out for sure now, maybe even learn the hard way ehh.

here is a link to the y pipe i ordered.
http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/y%20pipe.jpg

The picture of the header reveals nothing to me from the angle of the photo.

but at least the company owns a Z and uses it to test there products out.
Drifting ect.
so it's worth taking a look at.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by the way the gruppe-S ,Fujitsubo, megan racing, and t-pros y pipe all look identical. this is very interesting. I'll post pics of it at every angle i can get so this can be confirmed. but man so far they all look like the same part.

·
Registered
16,332 Posts
by the way the gruppe-S ,Fujitsubo, megan racing, and t-pros y pipe all look identical. this is very interesting. I'll post pics of it at every angle i can get so this can be confirmed. but man so far they all look like the same part.
I am 99.9% sure these are all the exact same pipe made in china or japan. There are more than just those companies selling it.

·
Premium Member
6,474 Posts
They all do look the same.

About the only thing I studied when I bought the Strup headers were the place of origin.

The flanges are from China (most are) :(

But the headers were bent in the USA.

about the Ypipes.. most seem under made and small. AAM , Ultimate Racing and JIC are all better construction and a bit bigger. (these are just the ones i've seen in person)

The Fujitsubo is DEF not in the same group as the others listed above. Fuji. is the largest exhaust manufacturer in Japan to my knowledge.. and have made things for Nissan recently.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We'll see if i made a mistake on getting this y-pipe or not, but looking at stock at least it will be a great improvement.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts