Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering doing a set of headers and hi-flow cats. I am intersted in readers' experiences with the different brands as far as quality, performance, ease of instalation, and price. Thanks

·
Registered
139 Posts
I am considering doing a set of headers and hi-flow cats. I am intersted in readers' experiences with the different brands as far as quality, performance, ease of instalation, and price. Thanks
Hi David,

I am based in Australia but I purchased a set of headers from the States and installed a set of high flow cats. Because I am yet to dyno my car to determine whether I have increased HP at the wheels, I can only explain what the driving experiences are.

With the high flow cats, these didn't make much of a difference in the low rev range but it did give an increase in performance in the upper end. It is not going to make much difference if you only drive your car in a sedate manner.

With the headers, it it a must have modification if you are retaining a NA vehicle. Unfortunately I feel the torque feeling at low revs is slightly compromised but above 3000rpm, it is a real blast/joy to redline each gear. You will notice the revs rise quicker and there is a noticeable improvement in the mid to upper end of the rev range.

Noise wise, the exhaust system is relatively louder but funny as it may sound it is quite addictive. Once the car is warmed up and given the stick a few times, the exhaust has a burble at idle. Love it.

Regards,
Z33Fairlady

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
Headers: I went with STRUP on these. Fitment is excellent, welds are beautiful and fully polished SS. Price was 475 shipped if I remember. The install took about 8 hours of solid work and some bloodied hands. There was no need to removed any coolant hard/soft pipes. You will have remove the lower steering shaft from the steering rack to get the left side header in place. Other than that..not much drama. On the performance side, very mild gains will be achieved, as ZZfairlady mentioned the car really pulls up top.

HFC's: I went with Ultimate Racing on these, build quality is good, left side cat heatshield required some re-shaping to allow clearance between the firewall. Price was about 450 shipped. Not much gained in performance. The sound quality of the exhaust (Borla TD) really inproved though. The pull from mid-range till redline is much quicker.

I hope this helps. Good luck and happy modding!

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
i fit the crawford high flow cats and absolutely love them

i gained ALOT more power down low on the Ann engine, and its given the exhaust a bit more high pitched ferrari like rasp through the mid range

i fit the exhaust and i didnt gain much power. But when i fit the cats, the difference was day and night, so much more pull, i love it..........just hope they last, ive read high flow cats go alot quicker

re the headers, they seem to give good gains, but only do them if you're staying N.A. The install costs and even just the labour of a headers install is a real headache

1 - 4 of 4 Posts