Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
16,332 Posts
esprit is a low production JDM import = $$ that is your difference..

kinda like a diamond and a cubic zirconium (spelling?) you cant see a difference and they function the same, but the price is different.

·
Registered
806 Posts
>>kinda like a diamond and a cubic zirconium (spelling?) you cant see a difference and they function the same, but the price is different.

I think the price difference between those is because diamond is natural and cubic zirconium is man made. Some people find it special that it took millions of years to compact coal into diamond (I think it's a waste of money).

You're right about the headers. Esprit probably had to purchase new machinery whereas DC has had theirs for many years and already paid off (welders, bending machines, ceramic coating equipment, CAD software). Esprit has some high shipping costs, too, from Japan compared to DC's choice to use USPS. Low production also bumps up the costs.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did you know that diamonds became expensive, not because they were rare (cuz they're not really all that rare), or because they took millions of years to make, but simply because one day some rich or famous chick (I don't remember which) decided she liked them. That made them desirable. As soon as the local stores and merchantiles (sp?) realized this, they started selling them. As their popularity grew, so did their prices. So basically, diamonds are a great big marketing schemes to see how much they can get a person to pay for really old sparkly rock.

Kinda makes you want to vomit, doesn't it?

We all got

·
Registered
806 Posts
Well, Da Beers Group is the largest diamond producing firm and the diamond industry is basically a monopoly controlled by them (that's one reason prices are so high). They used to control about 95% of diamonds a few decades ago, but now about eighty something percent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts