Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner

Have some questions...

2K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  Mykouki 
#1 ·
1. I originally wanted an Injen SES Straight-Tip Exhaust, Nexus Headers, Injen Race Pipes, Injen Cold Air Intake, Kinetix Aluminum Plenum. BUT, I got interested in the 2005 Mustang, and you just can't beat the sound. Now, i'm still undecided on which car, although almost all of my family tells me to get the Z. Anyway, what exhaust/intake combo's would help the sound be more aggressive towards sounding like a V8? I don't like the idea of a y-pipe, so an x-pipe or true dual is fine, or even an h-pipe. I realize sound is opinion and it varies, but, after a while you can get a general consensus of something.

2. As far as rear differential gears, why doesn't anyone make 4.10 gears or so? Gears are very important as far as i'm concerned, if you swap out gears you could be accelerating faster (depending on which ratio gears you get though) than stock on a stock car, regardless of what car, right? I know 350EVO makes 3.9 final drive gears, wouldn't this lower the top-end?

3. I want to get some more information about ECU's and tuning (as far as A/F ratios, timing, etc.) so I can be able to tune my own ECU when I get my car. I would rather just do everything myself. Where could I get some info on this or if anyone has any info on this they can give it. So what would be a good product to get to allow me to do this? (Turbo XS module, SAFC-II, etc.)

4. I plan on getting either Turbonetics single turbo kit, or Top Secret Turbo kit (if they ever spec it to USDM), or APS turbo kit. Question about the Turbonetics single turbo kit, I need a diagram of how it hooks up to the exhaust, i'm a little confused, is it after the headers and before the race pipes/cats? In that case, wouldn't that offset how the rest of the exhaust fits?

I've got a couple more questions.

5. What kind of camshafts do I need to be running, as far as lope and duration? I wanted 264 Tomei's, since it would rev rougher, but then I saw somewhere that I may not be able to run those with a turbocharger, so should I wait until I get F/I? And what camshafts should I get?

My ultimate plan is to do basic mods until I can save up enough money to get a turbo kit and then get it, and start saving up for internals, I was going to do internals first and then a turbo kit but I figured why wait, the stock internals can hold 400rwhp if tuned correctly, and I can just upgrade as I get the money and slowly turn the boost up. Anyway, I guess that's it for now.

See less See more
#4 ·
Originally posted by nissan350ztt@Nov 27 2004, 10:37 PM
2. As far as rear differential gears, why doesn't anyone make 4.10 gears or so? Gears are very important as far as i'm concerned, if you swap out gears you could be accelerating faster (depending on which ratio gears you get though) than stock on a stock car, regardless of what car, right? I know 350EVO makes 3.9 final drive gears, wouldn't this lower the top-end?

This is just how it is. Your gearing can favor acceleration, or it can favor top speed, but it can't favor both.

And I know your plan is to do this work over like 10 years, so anything that you need to save up for, I wouldn't think about specific brands too much right now. By the time you are ready to buy, these parts will be made by more companies, and some of them will probably be better than what's out there now

#5 ·
Originally posted by nissan350ztt@Nov 27 2004, 10:37 PM

1. I originally wanted an Injen SES Straight-Tip Exhaust, Nexus Headers, Injen Race Pipes, Injen Cold Air Intake, Kinetix Aluminum Plenum. BUT, I got interested in the 2005 Mustang, and you just can't beat the sound. Now, i'm still undecided on which car, although almost all of my family tells me to get the Z. Anyway, what exhaust/intake combo's would help the sound be more aggressive towards sounding like a V8? I don't like the idea of a y-pipe, so an x-pipe or true dual is fine, or even an h-pipe. I realize sound is opinion and it varies, but, after a while you can get a general consensus of something.

go with the borla TD exhaust with test pipes and it will sounds more like a V8

yea the EVO are all that i am aware of right now

3. I want to get some more information about ECU's and tuning (as far as A/F ratios, timing, etc.) so I can be able to tune my own ECU when I get my car. I would rather just do everything myself. Where could I get some info on this or if anyone has any info on this they can give it. So what would be a good product to get to allow me to do this? (Turbo XS module, SAFC-II, etc.)
i know the greddy Emanage you can tune yourself as long as you know what you are doing. go to greddy website and read about this, toykilla just made a molding for a guy on here that has it in his Z.

4. I plan on getting either Turbonetics single turbo kit, or Top Secret Turbo kit (if they ever spec it to USDM), or APS turbo kit. Question about the Turbonetics single turbo kit, I need a diagram of how it hooks up to the exhaust, i'm a little confused, is it after the headers and before the race pipes/cats? In that case, wouldn't that offset how the rest of the exhaust fits?
dont know if a diagram is out yet for the turbonetics, but it will be

#6 ·
IMHO, I'd go with an APS kit (sold out until February) since it addresses a complete FI solution (besides forged internals). BUT, after reading your post, you sound like someone who appreciates a little hard work and detail. That opens you up to a Greddy kit. Just keep in mind that the Greddy kit doesn't adequately address the fuel system and if boosting over 7.5ish, then forged internals will be a must. Dollar for dollar, however, I would go with the APS . . .

As far as gearing is concerned, I'm waiting on another option to price the item to market. I typically don't go with the first thing out there since the markups are outrageous and the options are nil. I believe in due time, another gear will appear.

#7 ·
I still say that if you plan on developing this car over the course of 10 years, researching what's on the market now isn't going to help much. When you go to add a TT in 6 or 7 years, the GReddy, PE, and APS kits may be incredibly outdated.

#8 ·
Originally posted by DiRN@Dec 6 2004, 10:10 PM
I still say that if you plan on developing this car over the course of 10 years, researching what's on the market now isn't going to help much.  When you go to add a TT in 6 or 7 years, the GReddy, PE, and APS kits may be incredibly outdated.

He's absolutely right . . . for argument sake, what's your time horizon for your current goals?

#9 ·
Originally posted by 350G+Dec 7 2004, 04:34 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-DiRN
@Dec 6 2004, 10:10 PM
I still say that if you plan on developing this car over the course of 10 years, researching what's on the market now isn't going to help much.  When you go to add a TT in 6 or 7 years, the GReddy, PE, and APS kits may be incredibly outdated.

He's absolutely right . . . for argument sake, what's your time horizon for your current goals?

:bump:

#10 ·
Going to a lower number actually makes the car have less lowend and more top end. The closer to 1:1 (3.9:1) the more topspeed. But if you don't have the power to pull through those gears it will be a waste.

From what I can think of going to the lower rear end will all you to hit 60 in second without issues and lower the 0-60 time. It will also help when going FI because you'll have more power than you need and a lower rear end ratio (4.1) will make it wind out faster in gears and create more wheel spin.

#11 ·
Wow, I missed this thread, I figured JTS was the last post. Anyway...

I'm still putting together a mod list.

I'm still unsure on a turbo kit, I don't think ANY single currently in development or in production will produce the goals I want, I think I will be pushing it if I do go with a single. If someone would make a bigger turbo single I would be up for that. Currently, if I were to buy a turbo kit I would get an APS TT. That may change though. Plus i'm thinking about doing a custom turbo setup, I think it would be cheaper. I know the APS TT with tallboy plenum could do what I want, i'm just not sure if it could be done cheaper.

I'm getting closer and closer to finishing the mod list, once it's near done i'll post it up and ask for everyone's thought's.

#12 ·
If you ever plan on a TT setup , 3.9 or 4.1 rear gears will be too low.
With the huge TQ offered by TTs, launch traction and shortness of first gear is an issue. Gears this low benefit NA most and can be counter productive with huge crank TQ. Some actually use the 3.3 rears with TT to reduce wasted time and rowing in the 1/4.

#14 ·
You do realize that mod dream list is around 50k after install and everything else added in, and even if it is a 10 year plan that averages out to 5k a year into your car alone. Have you thought about rent, insurance, school, gas, etc? Your only 15 or 16 right now and I hope you realize that a lot can change in just a couple years. Just a word of advice.

#16 ·
Originally posted by toykilla@Jan 1 2005, 10:25 AM
i think 350EVO tried to find the best balance in their gearing. 1st gear is near useless if you change rear end gearing to much.

I can agree with that. My friend has some huge gear in his Camaro and there is virtually no first gear. Just jumps almost immediately into 2nd

#17 ·
Originally posted by nissan350ztt@Dec 31 2004, 08:45 PM
Wow, I missed this thread, I figured JTS was the last post. Anyway...

I'm still putting together a mod list.

I'm still unsure on a turbo kit, I don't think ANY single currently in development or in production will produce the goals I want, I think I will be pushing it if I do go with a single. If someone would make a bigger turbo single I would be up for that. Currently, if I were to buy a turbo kit I would get an APS TT. That may change though. Plus i'm thinking about doing a custom turbo setup, I think it would be cheaper. I know the APS TT with tallboy plenum could do what I want, i'm just not sure if it could be done cheaper.

I'm getting closer and closer to finishing the mod list, once it's near done i'll post it up and ask for everyone's thought's.

Ignore this, I just realized I had my mod plans in my signature already, just refer there.

I'm not thinking about total price right now. :) That's for me to worry about.

#18 ·
I've always heard that going to a lower gear like 4.10 is not a good setup for a turbo. It does not give the turbo as much time to spool. If you've ever seen a turbo car dynoed in all of it's gears the lower gears will not make as much boost, compared to the higher gears, b/c the turbo has less time to spool.

On another note, i'm suprised there arn't more options out there. Fo my 240 nissan makes several different gear ratios for the r200 diff. They range from something like 3.3 to 4.66. Odd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.