Nissan 350Z / 370Z Tech Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

· Registered
558 Posts
it ain't over until the fat lady sings. nothing is publically confirmed. whereas hopes for a V8 may be fast dwindling, i don't think anyone outside of a small circle of engineers knows what drivetrain is being put into the GTR. i don't even think Ghosn knows yet.

· Registered
1,227 Posts
At this point there has been rumor of every type of engine being tossed into the car, except maybe a hybrid :)
Not true lol, before the other forum was closed there was a thread about the GTR being the first hybrid supercar. :rolf2:

I'm not going to believe any news or "official" information unless it comes from Ghosen at a press conference, or if it's on the official Nissan site.

· Registered
381 Posts
it ain't over until the fat lady sings. nothing is publically confirmed. whereas hopes for a V8 may be fast dwindling, i don't think anyone outside of a small circle of engineers knows what drivetrain is being put into the GTR. i don't even think Ghosn knows yet.
quite a few people must know:
its takes tens if not hundreds of millions of dollars to tool up a facility to produce a car like the GT-R.
this design work must happen months in advance, and the car has to be nearly finished before they can know how to tool it, especially for fundamental parts such as engine/suspension/chassis layout...so i'd say the car's design must be finalized by next spring.
with less than a year (of over 6 years development time) remaining, they are likely fine tuning at this point. i couldnt imagine them entertaining any high level general questions at this point- ghosn has already given a release date.
so everyone involved in the project probably knows the rough specs. exact power output may not be necessarily known since that can change on a lot of variables, but approximate levels are probably known. overall design is probably known as well. anyone involved in testing/designing/manufacturing the car probably knows the rough specs.

of course, we wont know anything because theyre not allowed to talk.
based on recent patterns, theyre very very good at keeping secrets too so its unlikely anyone will ever really talk.

G

·
Thats good to know.........we dont KNOW what engine .........but we DO KNOW that it will have no lag and be as fast as a 911 turbo. :lmfao:

· Registered
558 Posts
yes, lag can be an issue for any setup, depending on the size of the turbine housing and wheel. hybrids are often implemented to minimize this condition. and when Porsche offers an absolutely zero-lag setup with power available at any moment, at any point in the powerband, it is outright verboten for the next GTR to have even slight or remote lag.

for example, the R33GTR is reknown for it's abyssmal lag, with the R34 improving upon this, but not eliminating it. the R34GTR has smaller twin ceramic turbochargers, boosting to maximum 0.4bar (about 15psi), a twin ball-bearing/water cooled unit. full boost comes on after about 3500K, which creates slight lag in stock form. but the 2007 GTR, granted it is turbo, must absolutely and should eliminate all traces of lag or the car will be an embarrassment, as this is a key feature that will be micro-analysed. lag is hereby unacceptable in the realm of supercars today.

G

·
Subaru has a system on a test car called ANTI LAG, here is a excerpt from a explantion of how it works.

A normal turbo works by using the exhaust fumes exiting the engine to spin a little sort of propeller thing that drives another little propeller thing in the engine air intake which then spins round very fast and forces more oxygen into the engine. But, at low revs there aren't enough exhaust fumes to drive the little propellers and give the engine its oxygen boost. So, you press the accelerator and have to wait a second or more until there are enough fumes to get the turbo propellers spinning, at which point you go from no power to lots of power. This moment of delay is called 'turbo lag', although another phrase for it is 'bloody inconvenient', especially if you're trying to overtake another car. So, the Prodrive anti-lag system works by keeping the little propellers spinning and forcing lots of lovely oxygen into the engine even when there aren't enough exhaust fumes to turn them normally. And it does this by dumping petrol into the exhaust, just before the little propeller. As soon as the petrol touches the very hot exhaust pipe it explodes and this explosion keeps the propeller turning so when you step on the accelerator there's no irritating wait for it to for it to get spinning and instead you have an instant dollop of big fat power. Or something like that.

· Registered
558 Posts
^^^cool. thanks, ninja. so basically they've taken fuel pre-detonation to a contructive level! that is very creative. i do know of another system that uses electric assist to maintain turbine spin at all times.

G

·
^^^cool. thanks, ninja. so basically they've taken fuel pre-detonation to a contructive level! that is very creative. i do know of another system that uses electric assist to maintain turbine spin at all times.
Yep and they can put bigger turbos which gives you more HP with NO LAG! How awesome is that?

· Registered
558 Posts
very very awesome. the bigger turbine = bigger lag scenario may be nearly on the verge of going extinct, then. we will see it on the exotics first, as we are, and then it will trickle to the lower cost consumer market. this gives hope for future tuners afraid that they cannot pick and choose their favorite variable turbines from HKS, Mitsubishi, Turbonetics, etc --eventually they may all offer such technology. we may see Civics with Prodrive or variable geo turbos.

· Premium Member
6,352 Posts
I don't personally believe you will ever see ALS on a production based vehicle.

IMO, these days, a properly sized turbo on a motor as big as the VQ (or bigger); lag isn't an issue unless you have your head up your ass. It would take a lot of bad design decisions to experience much "lag" on a modern day factory turbocharged vehicle. Esp. with larger displacement.

Going back to ALS. This causes extreme, EXTREME heat. Unless you really like changing your exhaust valves every six months, stay away.

:cheers:

"This is not activated on the road cars for the simple reason that the thermal shocks and stresses involved are too great and turbo and manifold life is reduced to hundreds of miles."

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.