Nissan 370Z Tech Forums banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I borrowed a G'tech timing device from some one I know. It measures acceleration of the car by measuring time and g-forces. It can display 0-60mph as well as 1/4mile times. I was interested in the former (ie. 0-60mph) as you don't need much road to reach 60mph and also it happens very quickly ... that means that on public roads you're speeding for only a couple of seconds and not by that much ... so it's much easier to do multiple runs.

It's a shame that this device does not meansure 0-100kph time, but 0-96.5kph instead (ie. 0 - 60mph). Still, it gives you times that you can compare to US/UK mags and you still can compare multiple cars with it. Slight bonus is that to run to 96.5kph we don't need to go to 3rd gear.

So, I went out and went to some empty industrial streets nearby and I did a fair few 0-60mph runs ... about 15 actually.

On my 1st run I gave the car way too much revs for this cold weather/surface and got waaaay too much wheelspin. I did not exactly shoot off the line and returned 6.5sec pass. On the next run I dropped the clutch from ~2,000rpm and returned 5.8sec time but still got too much wheelspin. After a few more launches I figured that the quickest way to get the car off the line is to launch the car from ~2,000rpm, but with minimal wheel-spin. This required a little-bit of clutch slip and one time I got it just right where the wheels did a micro-second spin but revs stayed just above 2,000rpm. This returned my best time of 5.36sec.

Though, that 5.36 was not easily repeatable (well, not repeatable at all as I have not managed a time like that 2nd time). I could consistantly return a time in the 5.5sec range ... I could do it with the slight clutch-slip, or even with a clutch drop from 2,000rpm where I then feathered the throttle to limit the wheel-spin.

If I gave it a bit too much revs (or throttle) and blunted my acceleration with too much wheel-spin, then it would return 5.7x - 5.8x sec time. I also tried to see what time I could get without a clutch-drop and with minimal revs (ie. good everyday street start). I gave the car minimal revs (ie. just over 1,000rpm) and eazed the clutch out while feeding in power as quickly as possible. That returned a surprisingly impressive times between 5.8 and 6.0sec. Though, I tried it once where I let the clutch out too quickly and it bogged (ie. did a little bunny-hop) ... that returned 6.2sec.

So I'm pretty happy with returning best time of 5.36sec for the 0-96.5kph (ie. 0-60mph). Though, don't be mistaken that the 0-100kph time would be close to that figure ... in particular because we need to make the 2nd-to-3rd gear-change to reach 100kph. Accodring to my data from Winton, my quickest 2nd-to-3rd gear-change took 0.44sec. Adding that to 5.36 returns 5.80sec. Then we still need to accelerate from 96.5 to 100kph (ie. for another 3.5kph) in 3rd gear to reach 100kph ... that takes me 0.33sec (according to my data from Winton). Adding that to 5.80 gives gives me 6.13sec as the best extrapolated 0-100kph time. With a super-quick 2nd-to-3rd gear-change I might be able to get it just bellow 6sec. Also, keep in mind that I'm sure thare are streets with more grip ... even a warmer day would probably help here. That might improve the times a fraction, but 5.8sec is about what I'd consider an absolute best 0-100kph time that I could possibly get.

ps.
Just for interests sake, when I had the S2000, the best 0-100kph (not 0 - 96.5kph) time I managed was 6.18sec. I managed couple runs with that figure but 6.2x - 6.3x sec was a lot easier to extrack and common. Though, the S2000 does not need the 3rd gear to reach 100kph so it will always have that 0.44sec adavatage to 100kph.

Also I tried a fair few 'street starts' where I tried to take off with minimal revs, no wheelspin, and minimal clutch work (ie. everyday quick start). With that the best time I could return was 7.7sec and often it would tick just over 8sec. While slipping the clutch from about 3,000rpm returned 7.2sec time. That's where the 350Z really shines as it looks like I could return 6.6 - 6.8sec 0-100kph times pretty easily even with a street-start.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Nice times David, especially the 5.3s. You seem to be getting times that are equivalent to the US mag times (approx 5.5s). With the HT exhuast, your Z would probably have about the same power as the stock US Z's (287HP) as our Oz versions are slightly down on power compared to the US.
Just how accurate is the GTech though?
Also, how did you measure the 0-100km/h runs in the S2000?

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just how accurate is the GTech though?

They claim that the times are accurate within 0.1sec when used 'correclty' ie. calibrated and positioned as instructed.

Also, how did you measure the 0-100km/h runs in the S2000?

The G'tech that I had then could be toggled bwteen metric and imperial measurments. So we just had it set to the metrics.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I used G-Tech on my stock 350Z with pop charger when I first got it. Weight measured on Trucks scale "found at truck stations on highways late at night".

best 0-60 was 5.2s
best 1/4 was 14.2s
best HP pull was 250 hp

At the track I managed 13.52s "not G-teck" with pop-charger, plenum spacer, drag tires, no passenger seat, no spare tire and gas tank almost empty.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tonight few of us met up and put G'teched their cars ... we had a good collection of 350Z. Though, it started drizzling and the road got sliprier and sliprier (as it the cold weather is not enough). So by the time I went out for my runs the best I could return (0-60mph ie. 0-96.5kph) was 5.72sec ... and that was pretty difficult. Out of the other 10 or so runs that I did only two others were bellow 6sec and most were in the 6.0 - 6.2sec range (worst time was 6.4sec ... which was done with way too much wheel-spin).

Traction was the main problem ... it was impossible not to wheelsping through most of 1st with a clutch-drop from any revs above 1000rpm gear. Also the 2nd-to-3rd gear-change produced a lot of wheelspin. The best run I managed involved me slipping the clutch from 1,500rpm and not getting any wheelspin off the line ... I managed one like that where the car did not bog down.

Just goes to show how conditions affect the times ... yesterday I was pulling 5.5s very comforatably, and today I had a hard time braking into 5s. My best run today was almost 0.4sec of my best run yesterday ... that would translate to 6.5sec 0-100kph at best. You can see how on a different day even this would be a struggle. So unless people run their times on the same day/same road/same time, it makes it almost impossible to compare the times.

I'm sure the other guys will poste their times ... I'm not going to steal their thunder.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i'm sad :( i got 6.39 sec.

I'm heart broken for all my mod didn't work out :(

I think it's my crappy skills is the problem lol :headshake: :newbie:

I should have asked you david to drive my car and see what time will it get LOL :shiftdrive:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I got 5.81s with the 5AT roadster and I m happy :). Which I think my car is 100kg heavier than the others. As DavidM said, for the 0-100kpm, I think the 5AT will be an advantage and saving of 0.44s over the 6MT boys. Because 100kpm is still in 2nd gear for the 5AT. So base on DavidM calculation, I should be manage to get 5.81s + 0.33s = 6.14s for the 0-100kpm? And DavidM should getting 5.72s + 0.44s + 0.33s = 6.79s for the 0-100kpm for tonight?

·
Registered
293 Posts
I managed a rather slow 6.08sec ... and that was with DavidM in the car, plus 70 litres of fuel. However, as everyone else said... could not get the wheels to grip no matter what I did. That was my first time EVER tho launching a rear-wheel drive car! So I guess I didn't do too badly :)

Need more experience.

·
Registered
293 Posts
[/quote]
Tare = 1463
+ Iggy (105) = 1568
+ David (80) = 1648
+ 70L Fuel = 1725kgs total weight approx.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm heart broken for all my mod didn't work out :( I think it's my crappy skills is the problem lol I should have asked you david to drive my car and see what time will it get LOL

lol :) From what I saw you could not get the launch right without boggind down the car. Also you had crazy amount of wheel-spin on the 2nd-to-3rd gear-change. I'm sure on a better day you'd get much better time ... afterall, it was drizzling while you were doing your runs.

Also I'm not sure why you sometimes needed 3rd gear to reach 60mph (ie. 96.5kph). You have 275/35/19 tyres at the back ... right? If so, then you're within 0.4% of the OME track tyres ... that will make 0.4kph difference at 100kph which is insignificant. So I don't think it's your tyre size.

Still, I would have been more than happy to take your car for a run to see what I could get out of it. I've got the G'tech 'till at least the weekend so if you're keen to strap in on on a nicer day/evening, then let me know as you're welcome to it.

Auto ... Which I think my car is 100kg heavier than the others.

Yep, I think it's 120kg to be exact.

Because 100kpm is still in 2nd gear for the 5AT. So base on DavidM calculation, I should be manage to get 5.81s + 0.33s = 6.14s for the 0-100kpm?

Yep, that would be 6.1 for you to 100kph on that run. Not sure how much room there is to improve on it, but I would think that there is at least a few more 10th with even better launch. Did you get any wheelspin at all (of the line, or on the 1st-to-2nd gear-change)?

And DavidM should getting 5.72s + 0.44s + 0.33s = 6.79s for the 0-100kpm for tonight?

More or less, but your calculations are incorrect. 5.72s + 0.44s + 0.33s = 6.49sec. So 6.5sec was my best 0-100kph time last night. And as I mentioed before - it was a struggle getting it that low then.

Tare = 1463
+ Iggy (105) = 1568
+ David (80) = 1648
+ 70L Fuel = 1725kgs total weight approx.

To be more specific, it should look like this:

Tare = 1463kg
+ Iggy = 105kg
+ David = 77kg
+ 70L Fuel = 50kg
+ 18" Rays = -12kg
+ Hi-tech exhaust = -15kg
Total = 1668kg (approx)

But like you, I'm just guesing at some of the weights, incuding tare as I see published anything between 1440 and 1460kg.

·
Registered
98 Posts
DavidM, I think the G'Tech you borrowed from you friend yesterday is 1994 model G'Tech Pro. The newer G'Tech Pro RR (2001 or 2004) one acturally have the graph and can be able to d/l to the PC. Here is the test drive,

http://www.gtechpro.com/test.html

·
Registered
293 Posts
David, good point... I forgot to subtract the Rays and HiTech. I am pretty impressed to have guessed your weight to within 3kgs!!! :) hehe

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think the G'Tech you borrowed from you friend yesterday is 1994 model G'Tech Pro.

Yep, it looks like that one ... though, it was purchased just recently ... as you could see, the box was still brand new. Maybe they still sell them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
just going back to tared weights....ive noticed the hi tech exhaust is 15kg....has anyone got any idea as to how much the aps exhaust weighs, might have been posted b4, but i was just curious...

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Today I met up with a friend who has an S15 200SX. The car is totaly stock except for the 17" wheels and the 225 wide tyres. We put the G'tech on the car and after a few runs returned the best time of 6.59sec for 0-60mph. Worst pass saw 6.9sec (with too much wheel-spin) and we hit 6.6sec a few times. Considering that the 200SX can hit 100kph in 2nd gear, that would imply that it would hit 100kph 0.3 - 0.4sec later. So 6.9sec to 100kph is about all we managed, but with less wheelspin (ie. better conditions I could see how one could shave maybe 1/2sec),

Just to 'standardize' the runs a bit I did 2 runs in my car on exactly the same road/conditions. I pulled 5.89sec on the second pass. That was not a bad run so I'd say that the conditions were a little bit better than last night, but not much. I'd say that today was 2-3 10th quicker than last night, but that's about it.

Still, what it tells us is that I could hit 60mph (ie. 96.5kph) 0.7sec quicker than a S15 200SX ... that gap should be consistant no matter what condotions.

Though, if 0-100kph times is what you're looking at, then the S15 200SX would show times only about 0.2 - 0.3sec slower than the Zed as it does not need to change to 3rd gear.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
[/quote]
I was told that the APS exhaust weighs a few kg more than stock, however, it would be good if someone who has one could confirm this.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts